8 3/4 Third member any good?

-

Mike69cuda

Mopar Moron
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can buy this cheap, but has some damage. Can see it in pic. Anybody have an opinion? Is is serviceable? What would it take to fix it ? It is a 3:23 Posi out of a 69 340 dart

8B00A936-F07F-4044-8571-AFFE79811E1D.jpeg

2F280C9F-D94F-479A-AC2E-10ACF94690D6.jpeg

6D7DC7EE-5459-4948-9DB6-5852699299FC.jpeg

I can't tell from the pics if that's a sure grip or open rear. Is it completely enclosed? or can you freely see the spider gears?
openrear.jpg

If it's a sure grip and you want to test to see if it's good, get a friend and get two axles. Put one axle in each side. Have your friend turn his axle with you attempt to turn your side in the opposite direction. If the sure grip unit is good it should not "slip" at all under the power of two guys. Whichever of you is stronger should be able to force the other his way. If it "clicks" it is starting to fail. I've seen some that were burnt to the point where they spun freely. That's the easiest way to "field test" a sure grip

Last edited:
it kinda depends on a lot of things. What is the app? Are you bucks up, or bucks down?
I have had a 41 housing for years behind a fairly strong 340 4spd, and it's never been a problem. It is not the strongest carrier, but it should be the cheapest. The open diff isn't worth much, especially with a hole in it, but on the other hand a replacement open diff should be cheap and easy to find. Or you can find a SureGrip diff for it, if you wish.

As a person who sells them all the time, I'll actually put a price on it for you: Since we have established that it's NOT a sure grip, depending on the condition of the ring gear $50-$75 is what I would SELL it for. I get $100 for 741 open rears with no damage.

It would actually part out better than selling whole. Depending on which yoke it has, the yoke is worth more than the whole rear ($50-$75). The ring and pinion if good could bring $20 and occasionally the repro guys will give $50 for the case although most want the 489 or the 742's. Left hand thread bolts on the ring gear are hard to find when you break one. $10 for a set is a good price. The side adjusters will sell for $10/pair. I've even gotten $20-$25 for the pinion snubber if the rubber is good.

If I were BUYING it at a swap meet where I didn't have to pay shipping, I might pay $20-$25 with the expectation of parting it out. I couldn't buy one online because of the shipping.

Don't pay a lot for it.

Last edited:
It looks like the side gear pin augered a hole in the carrier.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Very helpful. I think I am going to pass on the deal as I already have enough “half good” stuff in my collection & spousal unit is actively encouraging me to have less.

Here's the way I always put it: Everybody knows that the Hemi is the best motor out there. And the 440 is a pretty good second place. But no one throws out a 383 because they are WEAKER than the others! A 741 case 8 3/4 will hold up to tons of abuse, especially with street tires. It's the old workhorse 383 that does the job for many budget racers! Sure a 440 or hemi is BETTER but the 383 is not a BOAT ANCHOR DOG! The biggest problem with the 741 is that there are not many new ring and pinion sets available for it. If you find one with the gear ratio you want, do NOT be afraid to use it on a street vehicle.

Here's the way I always put it: Everybody knows that the Hemi is the best motor out there. And the 440 is a pretty good second place. But no one throws out a 383 because they are WEAKER than the others! A 741 case 8 3/4 will hold up to tons of abuse, especially with street tires. It's the old workhorse 383 that does the job for many budget racers! Sure a 440 or hemi is BETTER but the 383 is not a BOAT ANCHOR DOG! The biggest problem with the 741 is that there are not many new ring and pinion sets available for it. If you find one with the gear ratio you want, do NOT be afraid to use it on a street vehicle.
I mentioned before I'd used a 41 behind my 340 4spd, but I failed to say I used it with 4.30 gears, slicks, and 5k rpm launches at the track. I know when it's a good launch, when the glove box door flies open, all by itself, hahaha.

All this fawning over the 741 case will only cause owners who may have one in a box of junk in the back of the garage that they couldn't give away at the swap meets to all of a sudden clean them up, and again carry from swap meet to swap meet unable to sell them because they now think they are something special!:rolleyes::lol:

Forgot about the glove box door popping open from the days of my youth. That’s a good one!
One of my friends used to say: Better is the enemy of good enough...

All this fawning over the 741 case will only cause owners who may have one in a box of junk in the back of the garage that they couldn't give away at the swap meets to all of a sudden clean them up, and again carry from swap meet to swap meet unable to sell them because they now think they are something special!:rolleyes::lol:
Your right. I'll say it again,I'll take all your junky *** 741's open or SG with 3.23's or 3.55's!

-
Back