8 3/4 U-bolt question

-

VintageRacer67

1967 Dart GT 318/Auto
Reaction score
Hello FABO. I just purchased used shock plates and U-bolts for a 8 3/4 rear from a member here. I have a quick question. I received 2 which are flat at the top of the “U” and two that are not. I know on my 7 1/4 rear, all the U bolts looked the same (flat on top). Will these work for the 8 3/4? Or are two of U bolts incorrect?
Thanks FABO!

F43468AF-5C16-4360-B65A-7DAB38BC8911.jpeg

The OEM are flat on the top with x's on the under side for extra side hold I believe. The others are after market from a spring shop. They will all work just look different. put one of each on either side and no one will know . use the OEM on the inside so you don't notice the aftermarket style.

. I received 2 which are flat at the top of the “U” and two that are not
DO NOT use the non flattened ones.

The flats distribute the point load of the U bolt over a larger area.

You WILL crush the housing tube.

This is crush, NOT wear

16269856056996023466014490960590.jpg

IMG_20200630_142028.jpg

also, many folks get super excited about torqueing them down and they crank 'em. Tighten them in a crossing pattern, snugging them up as you go. Maybe 20 ft. lbs, then go to about 40-45 lbs. You only want about 45 ft lbs max.

This is crush NOT wear

View attachment 1715894213

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw them. Obviously, it would have been cheaper to produce them round, but Chrysler decided to make them flat for a reason. To spread the surface area out so it wouldn’t damage the housing tube. Thanks for confirming what I was worried about.

I guess I will junk these and try to find 2 more OEM ones. I should have just ordered new ones from the start. Lesson learned.

This is crush, NOT wear

View attachment 1715894213
View attachment 1715894214
Wow must have been installed with a 3/4 impact. The calvert cal track kit comes with round u bolts. I never squashed a housing like that . Lift kits for trucks also round u bolts. Someone either over tightened them or they came out of the Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee bridge jump car

196.JPG

199.JPG

Wow must have been installed with a 3/4 impact. The calvert cal track kit comes with round u bolts. I never squashed a housing like that . Lift kits for trucks also round u bolts. Someone either over tightened them or they came out of the Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee bridge jump car

View attachment 1715894226

View attachment 1715894227

Okay. Maybe the round ones will be fine. Maybe not. If I can find 2 more OEM ones for a decent price, I’ll get them and use them just to be safe. The price I paid was worth the shock plates alone, so I’m good either way.

Okay. Maybe the round ones will be fine. Maybe not. If I can find 2 more OEM ones for a decent price, I’ll get them and use them just to be safe. The price I paid was worth the shock plates alone, so I’m good either way.
I've used both no issues.

Someone either over tightened them or they came out of the Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee bridge jump car
I bought the housing from photos, I did not know it was even possible.

But even in the FSM it cautions about over tightening. The tubes are rolled steel to form a tube, then further pressed / stamped / forged to form all the shapes needed.

Unlike a Dana 60 or the 7 1/4 with relatively thick wall tubing pressed / tach welded into a cast center.

The round ones will be fine. Almost every manufacturer uses the round ones. Even on camper trailers and every other trailer out there. I do agree the flat ones will distribute the clamping force over a wider area. Kim

-
Back