8.5 rear end

-

Silent Thunder

Reaction score
I bought my 64 valiant that had its rear end changed. I is a posi traction 8 1/2 seems to have 3.23 or so gears in it. I pulled the drums to install new brake shoes and they seem only 1.5 inches wide where I believe the factory rear end had wider shoes. My question is what is the most common source for this rear end that people used so I can try and figure out what model mopar brake shoes I need to buy. Any guesses??

I bought my 64 valiant that had its rear end changed. I is a posi traction 8 1/2 seems to have 3.23 or so gears in it. I pulled the drums to install new brake shoes and they seem only 1.5 inches wide where I believe the factory rear end had wider shoes. My question is what is the most common source for this rear end that people used so I can try and figure out what model mopar brake shoes I need to buy. Any guesses??

There is no 8 1/2 Mopar rear end.

Is it possible it is a ford rear end? Posi meaning positive traction. One wheel does not spin without the other.
in the mopar world, that would be a sure grip. post a pic , we can tell you exactly what it is

Attachments

• Chrysler%20Axles.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 355
Ford 8 inch - looks like a mini nine inch - found in early seventies Maverick
Mustang, Cougar, and later seventies Granada / Monarch. V-8 models should have had five lugs with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. Leaf sprung.

Ford 8.8 inch - used in 79 - 04 Fox body (85? up V-8 applications,, 79-11 LTD/ Crown Victoria/Mercury Marquis and trucks - phasing in around 1980. Four link and leaf sprung. 79-11 LTD / Marquis used 5 x 4.5 pattern, 80-97 trucks used 5 x 5.25 pattern.

Take a pic of the rear end, and of the brakes still installed on the vehicle. Look on the drum for the diameter, and show a pic of the shoes with a ruler so we can judge the width. Anyone on here can tell you how to determine if it is a sure grip, and how to figure the ratio. Who knows, maybe someone put a 9 inch or a twelve bolt rear in it.

Take a pic of the rear end, and of the brakes still installed on the vehicle. Look on the drum for the diameter, and show a pic of the shoes with a ruler so we can judge the width. Anyone on here can tell you how to determine if it is a sure grip, and how to figure the ratio. Who knows, maybe someone put a 9 inch or a twelve bolt rear in it.
All the info I shared is what my mechanic told me. It has a bent axle and needs new rear shoes. He was wondering what type of car it came out of. The pumpkin un-bolts from the drive shaft side which lends me to think it came from a ford. 8.5 inch posi traction (may be the incorrect nomenclature depending on the brand).

Your car originally came with a 7 1/4" Chrysler rear axle. Some of the A-bodies, typically with V8 4-bbl engines and some towing packages, came with a Chrysler 8 3/4" axles. So the most straightforward swap is a Chrysler 8 3/4" that came out of another A-body. You could have one of the 8 3/4" units and the pumpkin does come out on the drive-shaft side. Or some one could have put a brand X in it too. Pics would really help.

All the info I shared is what my mechanic told me. It has a bent axle and needs new rear shoes. He was wondering what type of car it came out of. The pumpkin un-bolts from the drive shaft side which lends me to think it came from a ford. 8.5 inch posi traction (may be the incorrect nomenclature depending on the brand).

The mopar 8 3/4 also has a drop out 3rd member that unbolts from the drive shaft side.

See the ID guide posted above.

And for that matter, there's no Ford 8.5" either. 8", 9", or 8.8".

If the axle itself is bent, i would really be suspicious of the axle tube being bent also. It might have been in a crash before and the housing is toast regardless of what rear diff it actually is.
Be careful and check this first, axles themselves generally don't bend unless they have had some sort of exterior trauma.
If the flange part is bent, you might get lucky and the tube isn't bent also. Then replace the axle but be sure the tube isn't bent.
Be careful!
Just trying to help........

We would be glad to help but we have no way to know what rearend you are working on with out some pictures. You could even have an AMC rearend but we have no way of knowing because lack of information. You and mechanic can see it but we can't so if you want help post some pictures.

:worthles:

i give up. my infa-red bionic super-focusing eye-sight powers are out of commision at the moment lol

OK everyone thanks for your help through serial numbers this is the rear end in the car: 8 3/4 a 1967 part from a1968 Plymouth GTX. Thoughts everyone, a strong rear end?

-
Back