8.75 or Ford 9”???

-

Henchman

Reaction score
8.75 or Ford 9” LSD/ locker?
Twin turbo 360 EFI manual trans?

9" but with a powerplant like that you won't have enough traction to break a rear end. LOL

With a stick? Definitely the nine inch, and figure Lots of good parts in it. Locker at least, spool if race only, 35 spline axles (or more, if spool) new nodular or aluminum case, and a backbrace or fab housing. And lots of tire.
All the best parts available for an 8 3/4, it wont be as strong as a 9.
Edit: someone here will suggest that if you wanna keep it mopar, use a dana. When i am asked, A or B, i dont answer C!

Last edited:
Yeah use a 9” Where the pinion diameter is smaller than A 741 pinion! I’ve raced 8 3/4” with 29x10.5W slicks and never broke it. 60’ 1.35-1.40 ran 6.30’s for 4 years.

Here is another weak *** 8.75 I just finished building.

EBC1FE0A-3123-490E-B492-0A8A53351C55.jpeg

060B3D48-3348-41DC-BE3D-83E5F8E07EEB.jpeg

Yall are all sayin go to the 9 for the strength factor. IF there's any reason to go to the 9" it for cost and availability. People think 8 3/4 stuff is gold. 9" stuff is dirt cheap. Cost is the only reason I see here. The strength is very comparable.

any suggestions as to width or a good doner car for a ford 9" that will fit under a 67 barracuda?

Meh, you're gonna have to narrow pretty much anything, so I would look for one from a Ford truck. They are usually the cheapest. I got mine for free, in fact. So far, I have 80 bucks in it for new ends.

Granada, Monarch had 9" rear axles & are most of the time overlooked in salvage yards. Some of the later model Lincoln's had a 9" with disc brakes & I've seen hot rodders pass them by also.

Sorry - I will be “that guy.” 8-3/4”
Sure 9” is cheap and more plenty.
You are paying for a 9” to be cut and made to a body specs or what ever specs. Just buy a b or c body rear or dodge truck 8-3/4 and have it cut down- same cost as cutting a 9” same work load. And use a 742 case. It’s honestly not much more and all Mopar. Never have to explain yourself like the LS engine in the fenders of a MoPar.
Off soap box.

Sorry - I will be “that guy.” 8-3/4”
Sure 9” is cheap and more plenty.
You are paying for a 9” to be cut and made to a body specs or what ever specs. Just buy a b or c body rear or dodge truck 8-3/4 and have it cut down- same cost as cutting a 9” same work load. And use a 742 case. It’s honestly not much more and all Mopar. Never have to explain yourself like the LS engine in the fenders of a MoPar.
Off soap box.
AMEN ! Somehow the agree button didn’t quite say what I wanted.

Doesn't sound like a restoration to me, unless I missed the factory twin turbo somewhere!

The most affordable way.........to handle the power you make.

So yall say the 9" ain't more affordable? They go for anywhere between FREE and about 200 bucks for stock used ones. One of yall gonna sell this guy an 8 3/4 for 200 bucks? I didn't think so.

RRR, I'm with you. If my car hadn't had a Dana in it when I bought it, I'd have gone the 9" route. As a matter of fact, I may do that anyway for the ease of swap gear ratios.

Sure I wil sell him a 2.93 open in a C body housing. For 200.00. Not doing nothing today you want come pic it up?

Sure I wil sell him a 2.93 open in a C body housing. For 200.00. Not doing nothing today you want come pic it up?

Well, you're one in a million when it comes to good dudes so that don't surprise me.

Most all 60’s slingshot dragsters had 8 3/4”.
Yep, and before the slipper clutch was devised to absorb power, keeping the 8 3/4 from breaking, they spun the tires for the whole quarter mile, keeping the 8 3/4 from breaking.
Edit: Look, i like the 8 3/4, i swapped one into my V8 vega many years ago, and i have one with a locker in my bracket 62, but i also have a dana and two nine inch fords. I have no problem with putting a dana in the o.p's possible thousand horse stickshift car, if he wants to keep it all mopar (even though dana was never part of chrysler corp, just a supplier). But he asked 8 3/4 versus a 9, and there is a thousand big power cars with nines for every one witha 8 3/4. There must be a reason.

Last edited:
-
Back