-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
There are alot of numbers out there and I need correct measurements. Tonight I will be shorting an 8.75 housing for a 65 barracuda, flang to flange whats the width, also I would like to reuse my axles from my 69 barracuda. temporarily of course.

Do you have an existing rear in your 65?

Use that for measurements.

The most accurate list I've seen:
An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Don't use a 7.25 rear for reference- they're different. This chart from Moparts compares them:
rear-axle-width-comp-jpg.jpg

Edit: I wouldn't go by the numbers in this second chart, just posted it because however they arrived at their numbers, the 8.75 and 7.25 aren't the same. Take it for what it's worth.
The first list is accurate to every rear I've had the opportunity to personally measure.

Last edited:
If you want to use the axles from your '69 Barracuda, the rear end housing would have to be the same width as the Barracudas.

I have a cut-down axle I bought off a local guy with the green bearing ends and it is 51.4", someone must have seen the chart listed above. I was wondering if you use the green bearings and no pin in between the axles if the stock axles will still work?

I have a cut-down axle I bought off a local guy with the green bearing ends and it is 51.4", someone must have seen the chart listed above. I was wondering if you use the green bearings and no pin in between the axles if the stock axles will still work

It's almost an inch difference.

I'm not feeling the love.

You could make a spacer to go between the housing flange and the backing plate to take up the difference on both sides????

Measure twice cut once.

Same reason EVERYONE says MEASURE for a new driveshaft vs take someone else's numbers.

The most accurate list I've seen:
An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Don't use a 7.25 rear for reference- they're different. This chart from Moparts compares them:
View attachment 1715977777
Edit: I wouldn't go by the numbers in this second chart, just posted it because however they arrived at their numbers, the 8.75 and 7.25 aren't the same. Take it for what it's worth.
The first list is accurate to every rear I've had the opportunity to personally measure.
Yeah, some of MoParts measurement are incorrect, plus they lump all the '73-6 A-body 7 1/4 rear ends together, when there are 2 different versions.

Yeah, some of MoParts measurement are incorrect, plus they lump all the '73-6 A-body 7 1/4 rear ends together, when there are 2 different versions.
There are two different versions of A-Body 8-3/4 housing too! Both the same length, 66-69 and 70-72 the difference is where the vent is located on the housing. If you don't know which one you have then you may not get the right brake lines when you order them...

I just had one cut down to 52 5/8" end to end. Stock housing ends and My nitro axles with green bearings are not even close to fitting but they fit my stock A body 8.75. Who has any ideas. Tried it with my 3.91 sure grip center and a 3.55 open diff center. Both the same. Top photo is how axles sit in my cut down housing.

Bottom is how stock axles fit in a C body housing

20230204_134606.jpg

20230204_134551.jpg

16755408223596607909046857501809.jpg

Edit. Thankfully the fab guy is nice and returned my calls. He centered the pinion and that's why, so now my brand new nitro a body axles will not work, I have to buy cut to length axles....so pm if need new axles I'll be making an AD shortly

Edit. Thankfully the fab guy is nice and returned my calls. He centered the pinion and that's why, so now my brand new nitro a body axles will not work, I have to buy cut to length axles....so pm if need new axles I'll be making an AD shortly
Yep, your fab guy messed up. Your driveshaft will not be centered in the tunnel very well either.

I will be checking that out soon. he builds race cars that go on hot rod drag week so he does know what he is doing. Im not sure though but I'll be checking that out when I head to the shop, the housing fits correct and sits nice even on both sides, I've only ever used stock housings. I have never had a centered pinion. Seems to me they sit in the tunnel just fine when stock

I will be checking that out soon. he builds race cars that go on hot rod drag week so he does know what he is doing. Im not sure though but I'll be checking that out when I head to the shop, the housing fits correct and sits nice even on both sides, I've only ever used stock housings. I have never had a centered pinion. Seems to me they sit in the tunnel just fine when stock

Yep, I never center the pinion unless I center the engine. He fucked it up. Make him FIX it.

Well this sure sucks waited months to get it back just to find out in seconds it was wrong. Had I known he was going to center it. I Would have said no. But I guess I didnt get a choice. And sadly he did two for me and one has a backbrace. 600 bucks in housings junk.

Drive shaft is right up the middle of tunnel. I don't have trans in it yet but looks dead nuts center up tunnel

If he asked about centering and you said yes, it's your baby. Don't get me started on the housing you took being the same length on each side, clue #1.

I didnt know he was centering, I guess he just does it since he builds race cars for s living... but yes the 2 inch difference in tubes was first thing I noticed when I unloaded them. And I sent him a picture of several C body housings I have here that ar equal length but he certainly isn't interested in fixing them especially on his dime or time.

-
Back