800 mile roadtrip

-
Take breaks. Easy to become fatigued driving long distances. Good reason to stop and eat. Avoid a heavy meal, eat light.

I have made multiple 1200 mile (one way) trips in my Barracudas, all I take is a basic tool bag, spare ballast and ignition module.
If I leave town in any of my vehicles I take the same tool bag along with a fire extinguisher.

If you are worrying about anything then you are taking the wrong car.

Alan

I have made multiple 1200 mile (one way) trips in my Barracudas, all I take is a basic tool bag, spare ballast and ignition module.
If I leave town in any of my vehicles I take the same tool bag along with a fire extinguisher.

If you are worrying about anything then you are taking the wrong car.

Alan
Well it's a matter of taking my only car. The other car I own is a 65 dart GT, and it doesn't run yet. That one was a full restore, and it needs finishing up. It doesn't run, it doesn't stop, and it doesn't have engine cooling.

If I borrowed a car from family, I have the choice of a 2017 F150 which is a total piece of kit, and a 2009 Escape which is a good car but has been abused to hell and never maintained.

Cuda Al brings a valid point on the fire extinguisher. Probably the most often overlooked tool one should have in their classic cars. Forget the Ford's
Better off with your own.

Cuda Al brings a valid point on the fire extinguisher. Probably the most often overlooked tool one should have in their classic cars. Forget the Ford's
Better off with your own.
I have a brand new fire extinguisher sitting by the door, waiting to get thrown in the car with the rest of my traveling goodies.

Well it's a matter of taking my only car. The other car I own is a 65 dart GT, and it doesn't run yet. That one was a full restore, and it needs finishing up. It doesn't run, it doesn't stop, and it doesn't have engine cooling.

If I borrowed a car from family, I have the choice of a 2017 F150 which is a total piece of kit, and a 2009 Escape which is a good car but has been abused to hell and never maintained.
If you do the math, renting a car might just be cheaper, the better mileage often covers the cost of the rental. It is the extra days that sometimes make it not practical.

I look at my barracudas as my cars, borderline daily drivers. Sometimes I like to take the "car" as a change of pace over my late model truck (my only "new" vehicle).

Alan

these cars were meant to be driven. Americans crossed the fruited plains in these vehicles. Don't ask them to run with todays cars with 8 speed transmissions, high speeds and darting in and out of traffic and all. We travel in ours... thousands of miles. Never a hic-up yet (yet, i say :D) If they run good, don't overheat, charge good, you are good. Road! Road! Road!

Last edited:
these cars were meant to be driven. Americans crossed the fruited plains in these vehicles. Don't ask them to run with todays cars with 8 speed transmissions, high speeds and darting in and out of traffic and all. We travel in ours... thousands of miles. Never a hic-up yet (yet, i say :D) If they run good, don't overheat, charge good, you are good. Road! Road! Road!
Exactly, and make sure you plan your route carefully and watch the weather forecast. Make sure your wheel bearings are good and your lug nuts are tight. If it will role you can hobble along with little problems until you get to a safe place to work on them.

Exactly, and make sure you plan your route carefully and watch the weather forecast. Make sure your wheel bearings are good and your lug nuts are tight. If it will role you can hobble along with little problems until you get to a safe place to work on them.
I treat a classic like any other car when preparing for a trip, with these exceptions:
  • extra ballast
  • extra fuel hose and clamps
  • extra heater hose and clamps
  • extra fan belt
  • and sometimes and extra fuel pump ... sometimes, and that's only because sometimes them things are not on stock at a local auto parts store.
  • ALL OF THESE items can fit in a small box

I treat a classic like any other car when preparing for a trip, with these exceptions:
  • extra ballast
  • extra fuel hose and clamps
  • extra heater hose and clamps
  • extra fan belt
  • and sometimes and extra fuel pump ... sometimes, and that's only because sometimes them things are not on stock at a local auto parts store.
  • ALL OF THESE items can fit in a small box
The ballast is eliminated in my car because I installed the pertronix system, complete with coil. However, I have two ballasts, the original coil, and points all as a backup just in case.

Fuel hose and clamps... check mark
Heater hose and clamps... check mark
Fan belt... I'll snag one on the way through town
Fuel pump is brand spanking new. If somehow it did fail, I would just band aid it with a clicky clacky fuel pump from o'napazone.

The ballast is eliminated in my car because I installed the pertronix system, complete with coil. However, I have two ballasts, the original coil, and points all as a backup just in case.

Fuel hose and clamps... check mark
Heater hose and clamps... check mark
Fan belt... I'll snag one on the way through town
Fuel pump is brand spanking new. If somehow it did fail, I would just band aid it with a clicky clacky fuel pump from o'napazone.
Don't fret over it. Get out there and enjoy it! I know we sure do.... :)

I don't fret. I play wind instruments :D
us..... 1600 miles away from home :)
1671238342154.png

'71 Valiant, I don't think you can lock yourself out. You have to use the key to lock the door after you get out.
Anyway, a spare in your wallet is a good idea anyway, in case you lose your keys somewhere.

Have a great trip!!! After this, you will never hesitate to drive it anywhere, and that's a really good feeling. Please, Please, Please post a report on your trip as we are all now dying to hear how it went.

If you are the overly worrying type, I would try to ontact RoadKills Dulchic and Friburger to take as ride alongs just in case. We have seen them do their roadside repair magic many times!!!!

If you are the overly worrying type, I would try to ontact RoadKills Dulchic and Friburger to take as ride alongs just in case. We have seen them do their roadside repair magic many times!!!!
I'm going to be cruising right through the same general area that Steve has his grape farm. If the Roadkill fellas stop to help me out if I break down, I'll make sure to take a picture. I'm taking some rolls of Fuji 400 for the trip.

Drove it to Denver from Portland in 2018 and gave it to my son who basically drove the crap out of it and in May drove it back....
IMG951220.jpg

IMG_20180210_160450.jpg

IMG_20180809_144004.jpg

IMG_20180809_063230.jpg

IMG_20180809_115142.jpg

Heck I am somewhat concerned every time I take my 95 Ram 3500 Cummins out for a trip. Bought i brand new. 225,000 mi. ain't nothing for a Cummins, but it is what 28 years old. BUT I have hanged the Trans fluild and antifreeze a couple of times. added some brake fuild once, but I did have to replace the starter and a PS hose once. Oh yea, I replaced the engine shut of solinoid once. It did get a new set of tires 8 years ago.
I had to tighten the gooseneck ball a few times.
OK I admit the original shocks are bad.

Those tunnels look familiar, I-80, Rock Springs, WY?

-
Back