80's A998/A999 into Early A

-
No, it's not thick enough to take that much off. That's over 1/4" difference

Torque converter shell is only stamped sheet metal. This reminded me of another point.
Beware of flex plate thickness versus converter attachment. If the bolts are a tad too long and the flex plate and/or nut block on the converter are too thin, the end of the bolt can dimple the sheet metal shell behind the nut blocks. The dimples can ruin a torque converter. There is very little clearance between its internal parts.

Torque converter shell is only stamped sheet metal. This reminded me of another point.
Beware of flex plate thickness versus converter attachment. If the bolts are a tad too long and the flex plate and/or nut block on the converter are too thin, the end of the bolt can dimple the sheet metal shell behind the nut blocks. The dimples can ruin a torque converter. There is very little clearance between its internal parts.

That's correct. You never want the bolts to bottom out in the converter pads

The 904 behind the 273 in my 65 Valiant leaks pretty bad out of where the cables go into it. I do have a good 998/999(?) from an 85 Chrysler, which seems to have some sort of overdrive in it. Will the converter from the newer transmission work? I realize I'll need a yolk and the shifter linkage, anything else?

If everything in the 65 is original, the conveter has a 1.550" pilot, a 122 tooth ring gear and an input shaft with 18 splines. The 85 Chrysler DID NOT come with the A500 overdrive series of transmission. The A500 and the A518 series did not appear (at least in Canada) until 1988 for the A500 and 1990 for the A518. What the 85 had would have been a 904 series transmission, with a lockup conveter, and the converter won't fit/work on your 65 A904.
If the transmission is only leaking at the cables, but other wise is in good condition, just re-seal it. If you are have problems getting parts for the 65 trans. send me a P.M. and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm not that far from your location.

If everything in the 65 is original, the conveter has a 1.550" pilot, a 122 tooth ring gear and an input shaft with 18 splines. The 85 Chrysler DID NOT come with the A500 overdrive series of transmission. The A500 and the A518 series did not appear (at least in Canada) until 1988 for the A500 and 1990 for the A518. What the 85 had would have been a 904 series transmission, with a lockup conveter, and the converter won't fit/work on your 65 A904.
If the transmission is only leaking at the cables, but other wise is in good condition, just re-seal it. If you are have problems getting parts for the 65 trans. send me a P.M. and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm not that far from your location.

The only place it isn't leaking from is the pan. Basically, fill up the tranny, drive for however long, no leaks. Don't drive the car for a week, entire amount of tranny fluid ends up on the ground. I'm sick of replacing seals and still having this problem.
I also remember the 80's tranny behind the 318 having what seemed like a taller ratio? I'm trying to get the best fuel mileage I can since I daily drive the car.

The only place it isn't leaking from is the pan. Basically, fill up the tranny, drive for however long, no leaks. Don't drive the car for a week, entire amount of tranny fluid ends up on the ground. I'm sick of replacing seals and still having this problem.
I also remember the 80's tranny behind the 318 having what seemed like a taller ratio? I'm trying to get the best fuel mileage I can since I daily drive the car.

all 904 transmissions have the same 1 to 1 high gear ratio so the 80's tranny isn't going to affect hwy cruise rpms or fuel mileage. But it may have the low 1st gear set so it could help take off. In the 80's Mopar used some really tall gear ratios in the rearend. That's why it cruised at such a low rpm compared to your Dart

BTW: the leak your describing is called a static leak. Two of the most common problem areas that cause a static leak is the o-ring seal on the dipstick tube and the shift shaft seal.

all 904 transmissions have the same 1 to 1 high gear ratio so the 80's tranny isn't going to affect hwy cruise rpms or fuel mileage. But it may have the low 1st gear set so it could help take off. In the 80's Mopar used some really tall gear ratios in the rearend. That's why it cruised at such a low rpm compared to your Dart

BTW: the leak your describing is called a static leak. Two of the most common problem areas that cause a static leak is the o-ring seal on the dipstick tube and the shift shaft seal.

No no, sorry, should have clarified. I pulled the 318/904 combo from the 85 Chrysler, and dropped it in the Dart. Have an 8 3/4 with 3.23's in it. When driving, I remember 3rd gear would start to rev higher, then kick down a little making the RPM's a little lower.

The Valiant has a 7 1/4 with somewhere around a 2.90 gear.

I'll check both those areas on the transmission though.

No no, sorry, should have clarified. I pulled the 318/904 combo from the 85 Chrysler, and dropped it in the Dart. Have an 8 3/4 with 3.23's in it. When driving, I remember 3rd gear would start to rev higher, then kick down a little making the RPM's a little lower.

The Valiant has a 7 1/4 with somewhere around a 2.90 gear.

I'll check both those areas on the transmission though.

Ok I gotcha. That sounds like the lockup torque converter kicking in. That being the case it will lower the cruise rpms a little and may help the fuel mileage.

Just found this thread. Pat Blaise is wrong about swapping the early front parts into the later trans. This can be done on a late NON-lockup trans, but not a lock up trans.
As for the special converter, I don't know if it can be done with the lockup converters, but Edge racing converters has done a couple of non-lockups, for me.
Check with Andre at http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ 1-888-350-EDGE (3343), Intl: 1-805-520-8528

Tell him Charrlie from Florida refered you

-
Back