833 4 speed pics - what condition is this in?

-

69-318

Reaction score
i found a fresh rebuilt 833 trans for sale but noticed a few chipped teeth and the gears apear to be slightly worn im not sure if this is normal or if these things will cause a problem.

can anyone tell me if this trans looks alright or if id be expecting bad things from it?

the casting # is pp8333014 1405

thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0877.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 412
  • IMGP0878.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMGP0879.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 401
hes asking $650

i know these a-body transmissions arent that plentiful here in canada

i know of one thats rebuilt by a reputable guy for about $1200 but thats beyond my budget

That's a far price, the rebuild kit with gaskets is $200 alone. Don't have my book handy, but should be early to mid 1970 trans, look's nice.

ok thanks ill talk to him a bit more maybe i can negotiate a better price still.
the trans is a couple of hours away tho thats why i want to know if its decent before making a day out of it.

Look at the wear of the shift forks. IMO, this one is not rebuilt. It just had synchros and probably the usual washers and bearings replaced. 2nd gear looks like the teeth on the synchronizer section are beat. It should have been replaced. Can't see much of third, but those two are usually the hardest worn ones. Hard parts are expensive, so you see a lot of this.

would it be a useable trans? do you think theres still lots of miles left on it? iv seen a few 4 speeds for sale around here from $400 to $600 that are in need of rebuilds with unknown inside conditions. im hoping to have around 400hp on my 318. on a good day.
thanks

It's usable. A833s are damn near able to run full of sand. But he's asking all the benjamins. IMO, $650 is more than top dollar for an A body 4sp and that's not in that kind of shape. I looked at a similar one last weekend, was bought for an E body but was B body... It was $350. I regularly see the standard 4sp (non ODs) going for $150-$350 depending on the shape. I'd put that one in the $350 neighborhood figuring it does have the easy parts new. If it shifts easy into all the gears, and the shift forks are not worn bad or unevenly.

ill see if i can talk him down some $ . after all i still have to buy a bellhousing and shifter and such

The gears kook pretty rough to me.
I think it would howl pretty bad while driving.
Gears can be pretty expensive, maybe talk to Brewer's or Passon before you buy it.
JMHO.

ya i was worried about the gears. im not looking to spend tons of money on a bunch of new parts and stuff i was hoping to get something decent at a reasonable price. the car is an automatic im just debating on changing to a 4 speed.

i am aware of all the other parts and inconveniences involved in swapping over to a standard. im not in a huge rush. just trying to slowly piece this together.

If you find theses for $150-250 regularly,I hope your buying them. I see 4-5 of these a year for sale around here, and have never seen a non OD for $150, or even $200, there worth more then that for cores.

I bought one last weekend for $300. Condition of the gears unknown. I did shift it through all the gears including reverse while twisting the input shaft.

IMG_20120204_133818.jpg

I bought one last weekend for $300. Condition of the gears unknown. I did shift it through all the gears including reverse while twisting the input shaft.

IMG_20120204_133818.jpg

Is that a OD unit brian, it look's like it from the pic? Look's pretty clean from the outside, and if it shift's nice, it's usually a good indication of the gear condition. Some guy has one on the local craigs right now for $500, he called it a muncie LMAO! I sent him a message telling him what he had, and that Mopar doesn't make muncies. $200-300 is pretty common for a OD unit if a guy want to use one.

there are other transmissions around here for cheaper this one just got my interest because he said it was rebuilt. the condition of all the others is unknown.

it seems that everyones story is the same. "i bought it from a guy that said it was good but i never used it".

i found another 4 speed that comes with a bellhousing and pedals and a gasket kit that doesnt seem to have any chipped teeth. the only problem is its about 4 hours away.

i seem to be having trouble uploading the pic

here are some pics of the inside its hard to see here the original pics on my computer are much clearer

Attachments

• DSC02848.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC02849.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 260
4 hrs is a grocery run...fill -up and go after that trans..

well the guy emailed me and hes comming into town this weekend for the world of wheels so im getting free delivery and he knocked $150 off of the price wich is a bonus. he said he might have a shifter kickin around somewhere hes gonna have a look. so im pretty excited about converting to a 4 speed and now im comited.

4 hrs away (8 hrs round trip) was the distance I had to go to get my 4 speed conversion parts. I got everything but a new clutch & clutch fork an included non-od trans, pedals, linkage, shifter, floor hump, 130 tooth flywheel, lakewood bellhousing, ecc... I paid $400. Good deal I think, insides look perfect.

Nice job....
There's one advertised locally for $150. A couple weeks ago there was an entire 4sp conversion (about 90% complete) for an early A for $400. In the northeast they aren't really rare at all. Only the B/E ones get big coin.

ya that sounds like you got a smokin deal. im jumpin on this one because i know there isnt much a-body stuff around here. did you get yours in and running yet?

-
Back