833 4 speed truck trans

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
This may have been asked before but are there any differences from a 833 4 speed truck trans to one that would fit in our A bodies?

I think they are basically a B body or maybe B/E, so long tail shaft, and so far as I know, only OD boxes were put in pickups

Yes, the truck trans is a lot longer and the shifter mount is in a different position.

some peeps have made them fit with adaptor plates and cross member mods. all depends what kind of builds your into.

An F-body is an easier and all around better fit for an A-body or even better, a trans that was actually made for an A-body

Well Damn! Thanks everyone. The only reason I asked is I found 2 of them locally to me and the price was right, but Im not getting involved with trying to mod something that shouldnt be

Has long tail shaft and most likely an overdrive behind a /6. Basically same tranny as a B and E body.

I don't have details handy but I know its not so hard to do.Plans for a shifter adapter plate are out there. Not sure if they are all OD but they are often used for that benefit. The OD version is somewhat weaker due to how power is routed but likely only a factor if planning high HP and running it hard. I plan to try one out. If it lives the OD will be nice.

The transmission itself is a direct bolt in swap regarding the bellhousing. You will have to fab up a shifter relocation bracket to reposition the shifter and possibly do some work to the cross member if there is any interference there. Although the truck transmissions are CLOSE to the B and E body transmissions, they are not the same.

good for donors. have B/E tailshafts, steel shift forks, 1/2 wide strut slider assemblys all depends on price

All of the 833's that came in trucks were overdrive transmissions, so 833OD's. They're all the B/E type tail housing, and most, if not all of them would have aluminum cases. The bearing retainer would be the 5.125" 833OD size just like the car OD's. Only difference with the truck 833OD's compared to cars is that they have a .71 4th gear instead of a .74, and they're all the B/E style tailshaft/housing.

As far as the "price being right", 833OD truck transmissions only get about $250 in top condition around here. I've bought several for $100 to $150 in good working condition.

They can be used in A-bodies, but some modification to the shift mount brackets is needed. There's a how to http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml

The OD would be very nice on the freeway, but the remaining 3 gears will be suboptimal for 'spirited' acceleration. You would essentially be going to a 3 speed without the advantage of a torque converter. So think that out....

-
Back