833 o/d tail shaft housing swap

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to swap a new tail shaft housing onto my od trans. Other than unbolting it is there anything else that needs to be done internally? Or is just pull the bolts and swap? The unit I have came from a 77 Volare or Aspen I don't recall which. Thanks Ken

The O/D transmissions use a large imput/output shaft bearings, and depending on the housing you're trying to put on, you may need to change to a small output bearing.

There's also a snap-ring in the rear housing that needs to be compressed to remove the shaft from housing.

cheers

Why do you need to swap extension housings? The overdrive has the larger 308 input shaft bearing but has the standard size 307 mainshaft bearing.

I need to swap a new tail shaft housing onto my od trans. Other than unbolting it is there anything else that needs to be done internally? Or is just pull the bolts and swap? The unit I have came from a 77 Volare or Aspen I don't recall which. Thanks Ken

Straight forward, but they can be large or small spline main shaft. The main shaft will come out with the tail housing and held in with a snap ring. You will also have to put the front needle bearings back into the input shaft with grease.

I need to swap the tail shaft housing because the previous owner hacked it up. He was trying to installing it in a 66 B-body. I have no idea why but...he hacked off half the shifter bracket mounting pad. I have an extra tail shaft and the trans was free. It's super clean inside and seemed to shift and spin over easy. Thanks for the information guys.

I hate to say this, but I'm 95% sure you gotta drop the cluster gear on the O/D trans to get the tailshaft/gear assembly out, because of the nature of the gear positioning on the cluster.

The non-O/D trans, the tailshaft/gears can be finessed out without dropping the cluster.

Be aware the O/D 3/4 slider can be moved too far, and allow the "keys/struts" to move out of position and jamb, or drop out.

Here's a link to a rebuild thread with pics, to help you out, it's not an O/D but it's similar in all respects.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=166041

hope it helps.. cheers

Cool thanks guys. I've never had one apart but that doesn't bother me. Inertia thanks for the link that will be a big help. I'll take it apart see if it needs anything else and swap the tail housing. Like said before it was free, so if I need to replace a few parts or just the tail shaft housing I'm ok with that.

The reason the shifter mounting pad was butchered on your A/F body trans is that it will run into the t.bar crossmember in a B body. To make it fit you will need to change to a b/e body mainshaft and tailshaft.

-
Back