$845,000 up in flames....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Makes me glad I got old junk.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sev-vPCkVII"]Porsche 918 fire - YouTube[/ame]

That won't buff out.

I think she wanted a whaaaa burger and some French cries...
AHHHH farfetnugen!..... and in other news.....

An Esso station? Where would that be?
C

Got caught up in the traffic disaster caused by this heading home from the cottage last night.

Had no idea it was from this mess as we turned around.

I drive by that gas station all the time.

Car enthusiasts are shedding a collective tear after a rare, nearly $1 million Porsche went up in flames Sunday night.

All that remained of the back end of the Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid was a twisted metal shell after the vehicle burst into flames at an Esso gas station at the corner of Highway 10 and King Street in Caledon.

The car is reportedly owned by Michael Wekerle of CBC’s Dragons’ Den.

Wekerle was speaking at Profit Growth Summit, an entrepreneurial gathering in Toronto on Monday, where according to online reports he said the burnt Porsche was in fact his.

An employee at Difference Capital, of which Wekerle is the CEO, told The Enterprise the Porsche belonged to Wekerle and that everyone was ok. He added Wekerle would not be taking phone calls or emails today (Monday). The Enterprise was not able to speak with Wekerle directly, however, CBC posted an article on its Dragon's Den blog confirming the $845,000 vehicle loss.

"New Dragon Michael Wekerle lost an expensive and very rare car last night to fire at a gas station north of Toronto, but Wek and everyone around were thankfully all safe. Car enthusiasts, we know this must hurt to see! This car retails for $845,000!"

The fire broke out around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

“He (the driver) was pumping gas and it overfilled and caught fire,” said Suren Thanearajah who was working at the station Sunday and saw the situation unfold from inside the station.

Thanearajah called 9-1-1 and police and firefighters arrived shortly after to find the Porsche engulfed in flames.

Caledon Fire Deputy Chief of Operations Darryl Bailey said the call came in about a vehicle fire, but after learning the proximity to a gas station the incident was upgraded to a commercial fire.

Bailey said the flames extended to the pumps, but no one was injured.

“From what I understand the gentleman was filling up his vehicle and somehow the vehicle caught fire,” said Bailey. “Our fire prevention is going to be doing an investigation.”

As for the driver of the luxury car, Thanearajah said he darted away from the vehicle and could only watch as the Porsche burned.

Several passersby got out their cell phones and shot footage of the carnage, shocked to see such an expensive and rare vehicle on fire.

“We are aware of media reports of a burning 918 Spyder at a gas station in the Toronto area,” said Patrick Saint-Pierre, Manager, Public Relations for Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. “Porsche is very concerned but cannot comment as we have no other source of information except these media reports at this time.

He went on to say that “We are first and foremost happy that apparently no injuries and other damage have resulted from the incident as reported. Porsche is prepared to bring its technical resources to help all authorities who are investigating the matter.”

According to Porsche Canada Ltd, the 918 Spyder is a 2015 model year vehicle and only 918 will be produced worldwide.

Caledon Enterprise

haha at first i thought this thread was about the srt hellcat challenger auction yesterday. the very first one vin 00001 was auctioned. 1of1 , the only one to be made in stryker red (viper color) sold for about the same amount. $825k

a camaro and a mustang were also auctioned (all monies went to charity)

the 50th anniversary Mustang, #1964 of 1,964 50th anniversary editions raised $170,000
the first to cross the block was a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, VIN No. 003. The jet black Z/28 raised $147,500

I suspect insurance will cover it....now the hellcat that the idiot paid the same monies for...would probably get 80K back...it doesn't matter what you paid for it, it matters what it is worth..

-
Back