87 318. Roller cam or not

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Were the 87 318's roller cammed from factory? Is there a way of telling without pulling the motor apart? I have a lifter making noise when cold, and want to change it. I also have a new stock 360 cam set I thought about using in it too. It's in a Ramcharger if it makes a difference.
Thanks!

The teens switched to roller cam/ lifter in 85. Your 87 should have rollers. tmm

If this 318 motor is original to the truck, Its probably has a Flat-Tappet cam installed. But the block will have the provisions for installing a Roller.

Trucks were late in switching over to Roller setups.

If it was a car motor, definitely roller.

Have a 86 Ramcharger factory 318, all original... Was a Flat tappet when I opened it up. But the block has the provisions for roller.

If this 318 motor is original to the truck, Its probably has a Flat-Tappet cam installed. But the block will have the provisions for installing a Roller.

Trucks were late in switching over to Roller setups.

. But the block has the provisions for roller.

........I have done a few 85-86-87-88 318s and all were flat tappet............kim....

........I have done a few 85-86-87-88 318s and all were flat tappet............kim....

I have a 85 5th Avenue block that was a 302 headed roller block. Must be some differences there.

The 302 heads were in conjunction with roller cams, right? I'll pull a valve cover and check that way. Rock auto lists both types on their catalog.
Thanks!

The 302 heads were in conjunction with roller cams, right? I'll pull a valve cover and check that way. Rock auto lists both types on their catalog.
Thanks!
I believe that is correct. The pushrod holes/angle were different with the roller blocks so the 302 head addressed those issues.

..............The 1s I've had and others I worked on all had 302 heads, were roller block, but all were flat tappet cammed..........kim.....

Pull the valve cover and use a small flashlight to check for dog bones on the lifters. If you see them it's a roller cam.

No dog bones.

A "spider" was used.

Bolted to the gallery floor.

I think the 302 head is NOT an indication of rollers.

I think car yes, truck no is correct but changeover year(s) cloudy.

By 87 car should be a yes but truck uncertain.

No dog bones.

A "spider" was used.

Bolted to the gallery floor.

I think the 302 head is NOT an indication of rollers.

I think car yes, truck no is correct but changeover year(s) cloudy.

By 87 car should be a yes but truck uncertain.

That's for sure.

pull a pushrod and measure.

7.5 = Flat-Tappet
6.75 = Roller

seems like the most logical way to me.

and to add to the conversation...i've had the Lucas Engine additive fix lifter ticks on two engines. i would most certainly try that before cracking open the engine, if all you think it is is a lifter tick. drain a quart of oil, or change the oil altogether (since it displaces a quart of oil) and see what it does. a little piece of dirt or something may have the lifter sticking...this is the only "snake oil" i recommend, as i've actually had it work for me personally twice.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil-Heavy-Duty-Oil-Stabilizer-1-qt/16777811

Pictures of a 84 roller cam 318 from a 85 Diplomat.(WE love Pictures don't we ?) All I got.

Attachments

• 88truck_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 424
  • 88truck_3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 459
  • 88truck_4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 675
  • 88truck_2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 407
Rollers are nice, cams are $$$! But you save on lifters when you change cams...

Thanks! The truck sat for several years before we got it. The lifter clatters on start up and is a mild tick until the engine gets warm then it goes away and is quiet. Engine has great oil pressure and runs really good just the tick when cold. I will try the lucas oil stabilizer when I change the oil next week, before I do anything else.
Thanks again

I had a November 1984 roller cam block with 302 heads and a flat tappet cam that was original to my truck. Had the bosses tapped and threaded for the spiders even though it was flat tappet. So the answer is- a 318 whether it has a roller cam or not should without a doubt have the roller cam bosses even if it's a flat tappet engine after fall of '84. (trucks, vans, and police cars didn't have roller cams)

Trucks and vans didn't get rollers until 1988, 318s have the bosses starting in '84 in the '85 model year though. The cop cars were often flat tappet since they used 360 heads in the 4bbls- however the 318 head cop cars may've also gotten flat tappets. Don't think 360s have the bosses at all until '89 when they got the cams. '84 was the last year for the civvy 4bbl cars, so '85-up only cop cars got the 4bbl 318.

Pull the valve cover and use a small flashlight to check for dog bones on the lifters. If you see them it's a roller cam.

No dog bones.

A "spider" was used.

Bolted to the gallery floor..

You are both correct:

The spider is used to keep the dog bones in location. Each leg of the spider goes to the center of the dog bone...

Dog bones and spider = roller cam....

You are both correct:

The spider is used to keep the dog bones in location. Each leg of the spider goes to the center of the dog bone...

Dog bones and spider = roller cam....

Yep, the dog bones kept the roller lifters from turning in their bores. having a roller lifter sideways on a roller cam is not a good thing..LOL

Thanks! The truck sat for several years before we got it. The lifter clatters on start up and is a mild tick until the engine gets warm then it goes away and is quiet. Engine has great oil pressure and runs really good just the tick when cold. I will try the lucas oil stabilizer when I change the oil next week, before I do anything else.
Thanks again

I would consider an engine flush before you change the oil.If it is really dirty then do a short change on the next one and see where it ends up.

from i have found roller motors were painted black from factory, flat tappet motors were painted blue.
That was simply a year change. '85-up when motors could have roller cams they were black stock. The flat tappet 360s and flat tappet 318s with roller provisions were also black like the roller cam motors.

from i have found roller motors were painted black from factory, flat tappet motors were painted blue.

They changed to black blocks to help hide oil leaks from customers and reduce warranty complaints...

(Instead of fixing the leaks....)

-
Back