8pt. cage in a Early A(65-66)Dart,Valiant

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
This week I,m gonna install my 8 pt. rollbar(cage)I purchased from S&W Racing.It,s all pre-cut,so I,m hoping installation will be a breeze.Anybody have pics of there install?Any small tricks,advise?,before I dive in head first.Any and all advise,pics will help me.Thanks

P.S Any pics of install in a 65-66 Dart,Valiant will help.:read2:

Have a helper,that will make things much easier! Tack weld it all together and make sure it's where it needs to be before final welding.

maybe after drinking the massive amounts of beer, it will seem to fit better. or at least it will look better. good luck on the install, and make sure you post plenty of pictures.

Please take pics and post them for us; also let us know how it worked out. I plan to build my own, but if they make a good product that actually fits I might be interested.

Please take pics and post them for us; also let us know how it worked out. I plan to build my own, but if they make a good product that actually fits I might be interested.

X2...... they dont make a wagon kit do they. haha. i could always modify their kit if the quality is good.

Bought a S&W 12 pt, no fit, bought a C/E 8pt. Then had to buy a $175 notcher, 30 ' of tubing, and 10 trips to the chassis shop for custom bends.
And cover the glass, if you stick a grinder in there. Don't ask...

These rollcage kits are all pre-cut to fit,so we,ll see how it goes.Yes I will take pics as I go.This kit cost $179 from S&W Racing.I don,t have the time,nor the tools to make my own and will probably be doing the install myself(no biggie)was a welder for a living 25 yrs ago.

This set up S&W is not bad. You will need 2 additional lengths of pipe for the supports that extend into the trunk area. I wanted to set these pipes onto the rear frame rails for more support and rigidity

This set up S&W is not bad. You will need 2 additional lengths of pipe for the supports that extend into the trunk area. I wanted to set these pipes onto the rear frame rails for more support and rigidity
Any pics of your install?pics go...HERE!

I can almost smell the burning rubber,lol.:-D Good luck with the rest of your build.8)

Here are sum pics of the S and W 65-66 8 point kit in my 64 Dart.A friend and i did the whole install in about 8 hrs .The only problem is that the angles for the floor ends of the bars wernt precut.I didnt have an angle finder ,so i had to eyeball it.The fishmouth cuts were perfect though .Take your time and measure lots and lots.Befroe final welding .Have a freind take measurements off of you while seated for the door and seat bar placement .Its a great kit for the $$$ though .I have been through tech with it at a few tracks since the install ,and passes with flying colors ...

100_2695.jpg

100_2698.jpg

100_2697.jpg

100_2694.jpg

Thanks for the great pics Shocker.I have only placed mine in for fitment measureing,I,m doing other measure,fit,cut for my motor and headers.Where,d you get the seat?Is it adjustable?I,m only 5,8 and like to sit close in the race car,my truck is a different story.8)

Thanks for the great pics Shocker.I have only placed mine in for fitment measureing,I,m doing other measure,fit,cut for my motor and headers.Where,d you get the seat?Is it adjustable?I,m only 5,8 and like to sit close in the race car,my truck is a different story.8)
It a Jazz type seat .I bought a pair of them with the covers used for $50 from a local guy that was parting out his race car.I didnt install the other one ,since i just use it for a race car.They are not adjustable as far as sliders .It looks like the seat is too low in relation to the shoulder harness ,but its not.Im 6'2 /220 and i set it up for me .I made the seat back support out of a piece of 1/8 wall tubing and an old rearend spring plate that i cut in half and welded to the seat bar.I chose to use seat belt tabs welded to the seat bar ,rather than run the shoulder harness around it .I think they were like 75 cents each at the local Dirt Trackers supply.Good luck on your install .Let me know if you need anymore pics .Im glad to help out ...

Here are sum pics of the S and W 65-66 8 point kit in my 64 Dart.A friend and i did the whole install in about 8 hrs .The only problem is that the angles for the floor ends of the bars wernt precut.I didnt have an angle finder ,so i had to eyeball it.The fishmouth cuts were perfect though .Take your time and measure lots and lots.Befroe final welding .Have a freind take measurements off of you while seated for the door and seat bar placement .Its a great kit for the $$$ though .I have been through tech with it at a few tracks since the install ,and passes with flying colors ...

That's my next step on my 64 as well. Looks like good install. What did the kit run you?
since I'm building a LSR car I need to do a little research on the structure rquired.

That 64 looks like it's coming along, good job!!

That's my next step on my 64 as well. Looks like good install. What did the kit run you?
since I'm building a LSR car I need to do a little research on the structure rquired.

That 64 looks like it's coming along, good job!!
It was like $280 shipped to my door.They are out of Penn. and im in Texas,so the shipping part of it was like $90.$170 was cheap enough for the kit IMO.Car is so much more rigid off the line since the install .It added 110 lbs of weight to my car ,but i managed to take out 75 lbs of it in other places.My 60's went from low 1.6's to high 1.5's after the 8 point.So my car runs exactly the same ET's as before ,just in a different way .Thanks for the compliment on my car and my install .I was real happy with the way it came out ...

It was like $280 shipped to my door.They are out of Penn. and im in Texas,so the shipping part of it was like $90.$170 was cheap enough for the kit IMO.Car is so much more rigid off the line since the install .It added 110 lbs of weight to my car ,but i managed to take out 75 lbs of it in other places.My 60's went from low 1.6's to high 1.5's after the 8 point.So my car runs exactly the same ET's as before ,just in a different way .Thanks for the compliment on my car and my install .I was real happy with the way it came out ...

It looks good. I'll be starting back on my post car after SpringFling. It's the car on the "My 64 Dart Project" thread

-
Back