9 Inch brakes 64 Dart Gt Help

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
I worked on my brakes today, New master cylinder, wheel cylinders, shoes, 2 brake lines which broke after trying to save them with penetrating oil out the gills. All of my parts are Raysbestos pro grade, with the exception of the hardware kit and drums which are Napa. My flex hoses will be in tomorrow morning, i was not anticipating these to be bad. These are pro grade, as well. the question i have is why are my shoe retaining springs different in the Napa kit than the springs that are on the car? The Napa kit has an odd looking small spring with a strange looking square peg with a slot. The car has a standard size spring with the round lock washer that my brake tool works with, and am used to working with. Is this an old school upgrade by the previous owner, I know the kit Napa supplied me with is the correct listing for the front brakes. Also, how are these square pegs supposed to mount, I am guessing to the backing plate, but the spring does not seem long enough to reach this.

You could have non self adjusting brakes and the other is self adjusting brakes (or the other way around). That said, why not upgrade to front disc brakes and make the car so much more safer, also hope you've upgraded to a dual res. MC.

I thought of doing the disc conversion, but I do not see the point since this is a gently driven car, never hot rodded, and a stock slant 6. If I do convert to a v-8, maybe, then I will have to get rid of my small bolt pattern rims and spend a whole lot of money that I do not have.

I thought of doing the disc conversion, but I do not see the point since this is a gently driven car, never hot rodded, and a stock slant 6. If I do convert to a v-8, maybe, then I will have to get rid of my small bolt pattern rims and spend a whole lot of money that I do not have.
They make the SBP disc brake setup for 64-72 cars. 73+ started the BBP. Also its not your driving you have to watch out for, its the other A-holes on the street or the random object, kid, animal that darts out in front of you.

It is on the back burner for now, I have future plans for the car, I am not ready to invest the kind of money to do a full conversion. I did see a kit on ebay which uses the Toyota Previa rotor and caliper which retains the small pattern. This car is driven maybe 200 miles a year. I just want to get the car together for now, and do some other work before investing in modern brakes.

So what is the deal on these shoe retaining springs, I am willing to bet that Slant6Dan knows.

These are self adjusting brakes, with the cable, cable guide and adjuster at the bottom.

Dan, I just found this in another part of this forum here is the link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=145165&highlight=inch+brakes

The springs in that forum's pics are like the type currently in my car. i would like a part number because I am starting to think Napa got it wrong.

I will go out into the garage and grab them an try to post a pic, my pic posting does not always work, but I will give it a shot.

If I remember correctly the little piece is poked through from behind the backing plate. Seems like it had a T profile shape. The spring is hooked to the shoe then the little piece. Shoe is rotated into position.
The round cap on a center pin hold down springs are definately the most common type but there are a few variations.

Here it is hope it displays after resizing it.

Attachments

• brakes 001 (640x426).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 145
I really dislike this type of spring, and I hate them so much, that I reused the old round spring and fancy nail like do jobber. I would like to replace with a new one before I finish it of tomorrow.

The front drum brakes are what 3 inches wide or more ? The center pin would have to be very long, or the spring totally compressed, or both. If they fit OK and you're happy with them, I am too. :)

I think you are correct about a 3inch pin, maybe the 1965 Dart has the correct shoe spring listing, I will check it out at Napa and see what I come up with.

I would double check but if those are right why not use them? And Drum brakes will stop a car pretty darn well. Heck that's what's on the Big Rig Semi's. The only real problem is heat if you ride them for like 10 minutes at a time. My 66 used to stop on a dime.

Oog. That's the old (really old) type of shoe hold-down. Do not like 'em.

Forget that Chinese garbage from every parts store under every brand; we're talking about your brakes here. Best hardware I've ever found for the 9" brakes is from Chrysler themselves. Get four P/N 4313 069 shoe-to-shoe springs and two or four P/N 4636 771 hardware packages . I can't remember if 4636 771 does one wheel or one axle worth of brakes, but it is a far better kit than you can get in the aftermarket.

Thanks Dan, I knew you would have it! I did not expect my intuition to figure this out, but this has become a great posting.

And Dan comes through again with his wealth of knowledge. If I ever have any technical questions, he is the man I want in my corner.

The car was put back together, and I did a gravity bleed to the system yesterday. This car has never had brakes this firm since purchased in 2009. What a difference! The next projects include, leaning the choke, and installing weatherstrip, that has been set aside for a while. And, the last project this year should be the exhaust system.

-
Back