904 build. Where to get kits?

-

Remow2112

Reaction score
Getting ready to build a 904 with a 999 low gear set. Where is the best bang for the buck on master kit? I would like to get the Alto clutches and Kolene steels. How much better are they then OEM clutches?

It is going behind a 350hp 360 with a 2500 stall converter. Recommendations and ruminations on Alto vs. Oem clutches or bands for that matter.

Thanks,
Dan...

do you know how many clutches disc/steels does the front drum take?

bulkparts used to have a kit with alto red clutches and kolene steels...but i dont see the kit listed anymore...

but for 350 hp, standard disc would work just fine.

bulkparts used to have a kit with alto red clutches and kolene steels...but i dont see the kit listed anymore...

but for 350 hp, standard disc would work just fine.

Thats true.I've had plenty of stock type 904's hold up to 350-400 hp with no mods other than a shift kit and a tq converter.

It will use a 4 clutch drum. If 350 - to 400 hp stock will handle when do you need the heavy duty stuff? That would mean regular bands should work too?

Thanks guys,
Dan...

do you know how many clutches disc/steels does the front drum take?

you can go with a transgo kit. they have different style kits for what ever perf you do. I am just upgrading my valve body as we speak for my A-999

you can go with a transgo kit. they have different style kits for what ever perf you do. I am just upgrading my valve body as we speak for my A-999
100% right on with the Trans-Go recommendation :salute:!
Their kits are the only way to fly when it comes to TorqueFlites , as they are designed for them specifically , and not based upon the Turbo-Hydro design ( not that I've anything against G.M. , nor any other manufactures ) .

I've bought and used Trans-Go kits solely since 1991 , and have been nothing but 100% satisfied with the performance of these excellent kits ; no 3rd gear application *CLunK!* when you let-off the accelerator !!

You may also find a transmission parts shop in your local area if you are in or near a fair sized city. My local neighborhood shop is a Transtar dealer, which is one of the bigger distributors of transmission parts nationwide. They have most parts in stock, and can get high performance stuff in pretty quick.

I'm not knocking the online guys, but you might find what you need in your local phone book. Besides, I'd rather support a local small business whenever possible.

Thanks for all the great info. Time to go shopping.

I agree on the Trans-go kit. Been using them in my trannys since the mid 90's.

Dan...

-
Back