904 Case cracks

-

Rob Eppler

My Dart Charger...home made!
Reaction score
Does any body use the 904 w/o the support brackets and a tranz brake? Have you had the case crack right through the front pump due to shock loads?

Attachments

• 904 trans in dart.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 331
I ran a 904 for a year with just a motor plate and the trans mount. Leaving at 5000-5400 on the brake. No problems, now I have a midplate also. Hopefully it'll last. How much power are you running and what does the car weigh?

I don't think the support brackets work with headers. Seems like I tried putting them on mine and the headers were in the way. I think it was pettybluedart that had a crack in the same place on his.

I can't afford to build one yet, I'd love to lose those tenths tho. Interesting point you bring up, I hadn't heard much about that issue in my reading into 904's

Hi Rob,I,m not running a trans-brake,but lastyear I had some tranny issues also.Fixed my issues and am now using the brackets(I have fenderwells)My 904 casing didn,t quite crack into the pump,but still cracked and caused problems.Alls fixed now and hope the engine/tranny brackets help.I,m curious to know how you,ll prevent this from happening again,as I know your running a mid plate.Good luck.Pics for all to see..
View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 036.jpg

View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 034.jpg

Rob,I,m also curious as to why you have the vent hole sealed shut?You can PM me with any ideas that may help me in the short run.LOL

the vent hole is plugged so I know if the front pump seal is leaking or just an "over flow" from the vent hole. [I put the vent in the tail and ran a -3 line forward to the dip stick tube area.] this is just another way of "knowing" what is going on...in our little 904's! Next, this crack is NOT from my trans, but rather a friend of mine who is running a modified version of the "support brackets" I use the factory brackets and have had no problem. I tighten them to the case first and to the block next. No problems as of yet...300+ launches on the brake @ 4800 + rpm! I've broken ring gears, not transmissions!

Also note the "notch" cut in the bottom of the case, this really works well for the converter bolts!!! and you can also see right up to the front pump seal...if need be!

Attachments

• dart in pits hood off.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 255
His car is a 66 Dart. He is running the original trans mount/cross member which is rubber. He has solid motor mounts and a torque strap.

New developement...He has found out that JW [i believe, but do not quote me on the mfg.] makes a bell housing for the 904/A engine! We are going to use this!!! Courtesy of Rick Allison @ A & A transmission!

Good question, but as we all should know the dowel pins are very important and should never be over looked! They are in. Also for all of the readers, J/W makes a 904 bell housing, we will be using this. So as soon as we get it back from A & A, I will post a couple of pix for all to see. I will also include the $$$ required for this mod!

-
Back