904 converter question

-

T-REX

Reaction score
I have a built, 904 in my 66 wagon...I have a warm'd over 318 now, but fix'in to swap back to tha 360 that I had in it a few yeerz back...The converter wuz built by a fren that builds converters, and loosen'd up my converter so the 360 will idle good(approx 1800-2000 stall)...I knocked off the weight when I put in tha 318, aand it work'd fine...OK, beins My buddy iz no longer around, I need to know if I kan use any weight off anuther Torque converter out ov anuther external balanced engine????.....Also, I would like to put an Overdrive tranny behind tha 360 for gas milage...Iz there a tranny that haz a non computer OD that I kan use with tha 360???...Keep in mind I need a loose converter for tha mota to idle, and it haz to be a small tranny, I don't want to have to make tha tunnel any bigger....

my knowlege ov transmissions ceased back in tha 70's...Lol

all externally balanced mopar engines have a specific weight for the converter...the weights are based on the OEM balancing of the engine.....so 340 cast crank...440 cast cranks...440 six pac cranks all take a different weight on the converter....so you answer is no unless it comes off another 360 converter...

the simplest thing is to use a B&M flexplate for the 360/904 combo...then again it cost alot more then welding the weight back on.....

Thankz for tha reply...I rekkon I coulda been more specifik...I meant stay'in in tha smallblock family.....I no they ain't many(if any) 904's dat fitz bigblocks....

I new what i wuz thank'in, kan't believe U didn't!!!....Lol.......thgankz agin!!

One other thing to note is the pilot hub on your old converter is smaller than the one in the back of the crankshaft on a 360 (1.55" on the 63-67 converter and 1.81" on the 68 up converter). That is a problem. It'll go in place good but the pilot hub secures the converter from flopping around which could break stuff (input shaft, stator shaft, converter) and eat out the bushing in the pump real fast. Probably leak oil a lot too. And any newer converter that fits the pilot hub of the 360 (or 68 and up 318) will have a different spline count because in 68 the input spline count changed from 18 to 27. Hate to tell you but the only way to the 360 work is to take the trans out and either replace it with a newer trans (68 up non lock-up) or take your trans. apart and replace the input shaft with a newer one that is 27 spline like the 68 and up so it'll work with a 68 and up converter with the bigger pilot hub.

Thankz Fishy...Tha tranny in my car iz a 73 360, 904...When I put tha 318 in my car, I juss knock'd off tha weight from tha converter, and it work'd good...

I wuz reely try'in to find out which 904(if any) that had a OD that wuzn't computer controlld, and if all tha small block weights for tha converters were tha same!!....

Sorry, I wuzn't more to tha point, and didn't give all information, but az I said, I knew what I wuz thank'in....I juss figger'd everbody did!!...lol

Not exactly sure when the A500 (904 w/o.d.) went to electronic but I think it was about 95 or 96. Not sure what car your putting it in but remember the overdrive on the back of the A500 is a bunch bigger in diameter than a standard 904 so you'll have to do some cutting and reconstruction to make it fit. Plus shorten the driveshaft. There have been several threads on putting an o.d. in an A-body so you might try the search function to see what turns up as I haven't been involved in the swap and don't know any more than you need to open up the crossmember and possibly the floor pan.

my 73 318/904 came with a factory small snout converter. It fit into the 73 904 trans properly with the correct spline count. It had a spacer ring in the crank bore to accommodate the smaller snout.

I just replaced the 273 in the 65 with a later 318 (mid 70s). I took the adapter ring from the 73 torque converter and installed it on the stock 65 converter snout, as it had the right spline count for the 65 cable trans 904.

weird eh?

my 73 318/904 came with a factory small snout converter. It fit into the 73 904 trans properly with the correct spline count. It had a spacer ring in the crank bore to accommodate the smaller snout.

I just replaced the 273 in the 65 with a later 318 (mid 70s). I took the adapter ring from the 73 torque converter and installed it on the stock 65 converter snout, as it had the right spline count for the 65 cable trans 904.

weird eh?

Well I can see it being possible to install a 318 in your 65 by installing the adapter ring but as far as the 73 318 car with the small snout converter here's what I think. First off all 904's have the small snout. It's the pilot hub that's smaller on 67 and older 904's. If it was in fact a small pilot hub converter somebody must have swapped out the input shaft from a 67 or older 904 as it's the only shaft with the right spline count that'll engage into a 67 and older converter. Ma Mopar was famous for using up left over parts into the next model year but to have used a 67 style transmission in a 73 car sure would be a record. When dealing with cars 40 yrs. old you see stuff like this all the time. Who knows how many times the trans. was swapped in it's early life. Back in the old days it was common ground if the trans. shot craps to just go to the junkyard and buy one for $25-50 and stick it in. Back in the late 70's/early 80's when I was in high school auto mechanics class we swapped numerous engines and transmissions with junkyard parts. Sorry to say but we ruined the originality of many a car but we were kids and didn't realize what it would mean.

Fish, I appreciate ya info bout tha lil tranny...Sumbody locally told me sumpth'in about tha 500(updated 904)...I'm gunna look for one to see juss how much I have to alter my tunnel...I have a 1966 Dart wagon, and it juss went thru about a 4 yeer build, so I ain't reely want'in to start cut'in it agin!!...Altho I am debate'in whuther to cut a 8 3/4 rear for it...I would have to rebulid tubs, and that would screw up my rear seat stuff...I still have tha small lug pattern, and have a cherry set ov aluminium slots(ansen's)...I have tha 7" wide ones on back now, but reely like to use tha 10" ones I have...All tha wheels are 14" diam tho...Maybe I should juss drop tha 360(approx 380HP) in it, and put on sum tall 15" tirez...wit them 2:76 geers, dat oughtta be a good OD!!!...:)

Glad to help. The A500 isn't really an updated 904 It's a 904 with overdrive. The only bad thing about them is they only came in lockup version. That's good for fuel mileage and cruising but it's harder to find a perf. converter for and when you do it's a lot more expensive.

Yeah a torquey 360 with tall gears would make a nice cruiser too.

-
Back