904 Leaking out of speedometer cable What seal PN?

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
So the original speedometer cable is leaking fluid out of the sheathing on my 64 Barracuda. The cable is the original push button 904 one.

Where do I go about finding the seal? and do I have to drop the pan to get to it? I have a pan seal but I was hoping I wouldn't need it since the pan isn't leaking.

You do not have to remove the pan. The seal is an o-ring or gasket where the cable enters the tranny case at a threaded fitting. Look for a speedometer pinion seal.

Thanks!

I'm going to pull it apart tonight and figure out the O ring size, pretty sure it's a standard "dash" number ring.

Finally found it on page 471 of the 1965 Service manual pdf.

There is an o ring on the speedo connector, as well as one in the speedo gear. The one in the speedo gear is usually the culprit if it is leaking up the cable.

Can find o ring asstmts or singles at Ace, mcfaddendales and other good hardware stores

I had the same issue 2 years ago and it took me a while to figure out that the 904 changed in 66. Every where I looked I was getting the wrong seals because it seems most 904 parts are for the 66 and up versions. I finally had to buy a set from eBay. Try t'flight patty's shop mart or email [email protected]. Pat Blais is the name of the person I believe. Fixed my leak like yours. I found another source too, but will have to dig more in my notes to find it. So let me know if you need me to try and find it.

-
Back