904 or 727 ???

-

kzcountry

Reaction score
I have one of each 904 and 727 transmission. I am going to rebuild one of them to put behind my 340 in my Demon. Is there a any reason to use instead of the other?? Is there much difference between the trannys?? Thanks for AnyReplies..

Just for regular type street driving? either one is fine, might take into consideration a few things like which one has a low gear ratio you like, drive shaft lengths, speedo hook up, shifter linkage/cable hook up, down shift hookup etc etc.

I should have said what use it would get. Nothing but a street driver, sometimes harder than normal. It has a upgraded cam 484 lift on 110 cl and trying to decide to put my six pack on it for a little extra kick. Will not be run on the track, well maybe a couple times. Is the 904 that much more effeicient than a 727??

The 904 will net you better mileage on the street because its guts are much lighter than the 727. The 904 can be made plenty strong to handle up to 500 HP using stock off the shelf parts. They are excellent transmissions.

I'm putting a 904 behind a 360 magnum plus a 100 shot of nitrous say around 425-450 horses total. I will be using a "loose" 3500 converter, a Turbo Action reverse valve body and a large cooler. Do you think this will be enough for the 904 to stay together?? The trans is in excellent working condition with only about 20k miles since being rebuilt.

The 727 was stock behind 318 and /6 vehicles. Would Chrysler do this if it didn't have to? I'd go 727 behind anything with some power, or look into what improvements and cost are required to beef up a 904.

The 727 was stock behind 318 and /6 vehicles. Would Chrysler do this if it didn't have to? I'd go 727 behind anything with some power, or look into what improvements and cost are required to beef up a 904.

Maybe they did it because they had them left over from other runs? Who knows why it was done.

I think the key to your question is that you plan to "rebuild one of them". In stock configuration, the 727 is heavier duty. As previously mentioned, it also weighs more and takes more horsepower to operate. You can build a 904 to take all kinds of power without giving up reliability. Just find a shop that knows how to do it.

thats 40 year old thinking.. using nothing exotic, just good parts and built right a 904 will handle plenty of power.

hell i have a buddy with a 904 in a 72 cuda. runs 11.5 and has over 1000 runs on it plus a ton of street miles.. also have a friend with a 10 second demon running a 904. trans has been together a long time. again nothing exotic in either trans..

Thanks for all the discussion on 727 or 904. I think I might just try the 904 this time in the Demon project. I guess there is a first time for everything. If there are any trick with a 904 feel free to tell me. Thanks

If you are rebuilding anyways, a 904 is the way to go. Lighter weight and only takes around 25 or so hp to turn. The 727 takes about 50hp. Get the low gear set (which is cheaper for a 904 than a 727) for extra fun. A 904 built right will handle crazy hp and tq on the street.

If you know what you are doing, don't worry about it holding up. period.

-
Back