904 or 727

-

RKraft

Reaction score
Its been a while since on this site. Had to let my 69 BB valiant project go for financal reasons. But since have purchased an other ride its not a mopar but has mopar drive train. 1963 AMC Rambler 550 CC wagon. It has 318/904 setop in it. My question is how much different in size are the transmissions between 904 & 727. My 904 is slipping and found a 727 thinking about buying and going through and installing. WOuld like either healthy 360 or 5.7 Hemi down road. Thank you in advance and attached a picture of my new ride.

Attachments

• rambler1a.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 370
  • rambler2b.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 368
  • rambler3c.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 412
  • rambler4d.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 362
Nice car, what rear end does it use? I believe that Ramblers of that era still use closed drive lines with torque tubes. 727's are longer, I'm sure someone else on the site wil chime in with the measurements.

I have a friend who has a 65 Marlin with the torque tube transmission. Not sure of the dimensions of the 727 though.

727 is fatter in the mid section, make sure your tunnel can take the added girth of the 727. Rebuild that 904, itll be alot cheaper.

Damn cool car! I love it. The 727 will bolt in but the driveshaft will have to be shortened and a different slip yoke installed. I'm sure the Rambler has already had drivetrain mods since it has that engine and trans already.

You may want to look at the trans tunnel too and make sure you have enough space for the 727.

+1 on the rebuild, if your able bodies enough you can do it yourself. Its got to be one of the easiest auto's to rebuild, its a snap. There is plenty of information on how to make a rockin' a904 that takes the TQ. Just did one myself I LOVE it.

Dooo it. :)

Thank you for the commets on my new ride, I can't due a 4 door but love the wagons how weird is that. The torque tube setup has been removed it has a open diff gm 10 bolt. Also want to swap that out with either 8 3/4" or 9". What kind of power can the 904 handle and would it bolt up to a new hemi if I go that route? I am thinking a sleeper.

Randy

Sweet ride! Either will hold up to the strain if you are thinking of upgrading engines in the future. 727 weighs more than the 904 (if weight is a concern). Also, the bell housing may be a tight fit with the 727 (not to mention you would need to cut down the driveshaft. I had a 318 in my Dart and replaced the drivetrain with a 360/727 setup.

I would say the 904 unless you are going to make enough power to break it. Added transmission weight, rotating mass are going to affect your performance and fuel economy on the 727. Also, I read you can get a low gear set out of an a500 for the 904. Then when you do the rebuild you will have a light trans with a low first.

I agree on rebuilding the 904 and keeping that. As stated, 727's are a little heavier, require more power to run, and there's a good chance you'll loose fuel mileage. Give John at Cope Racing Trans a call and he will be able to set you up with everything you need for that 904. They can handle alot of power. :)

I prefer the 8 3/4 rear over the ford 9inch. Since you already have mopar engine and trans, it'd make sense to have a mopar rear! :)

Cool ride, don't see many wagons, I'd stick with the 904, give Cope or Mancini Racing a call, would swap in a lower first gear though to get that mass moving.

I was looking for weight specs on my wagon and if I was reading right on wikipedia it states it should be around 2700-2800lbs. I think it will be a fun little street pounder with 400-450 horse. I am going to keep the 904 and been thinking about 390 stroker kit for my 318 with eddy magnum heads with the 58cc combustion chamber. I can decide if I should rebuild myself or purchase a complete trans. 3000-3500 rpm stall converter.

I was looking for weight specs on my wagon and if I was reading right on wikipedia it states it should be around 2700-2800lbs. I think it will be a fun little street pounder with 400-450 horse. I am going to keep the 904 and been thinking about 390 stroker kit for my 318 with eddy magnum heads with the 58cc combustion chamber. I can decide if I should rebuild myself or purchase a complete trans. 3000-3500 rpm stall converter.

Yep, 3.5-3.9 gear and you got yourself one nice little sleeper.

-
Back