904 or 727 ????

-

tguss

Reaction score
im installing a 360 in my 68 valiant ,the car have a 273 with 904 trany in it now. i bought a 78 rv with a heavy duty 360 and 727 trany which would be a better trany for the 360 ?

couple of things..the 904 is small and lighter and use less hp....using the 727 will require the driveshaft to be shorten..

and either way...the 360 will require either a B&M weighted flexplate or a torque converter weighted for the 360.....which the 727 is probably already set up for....

Check that the RV has a long shaft 727 and not one of those with an emergency brake, etc, used in some (large) RVs

The 904 likely has the small pilot converter so you'll need a weighted plate and adapter bushing, or new converter,

the 727 have the long shaft, i know ill have to shorten the drive shaft. on the 727 trany could i just install a tci break away converter or would it need to be balenced ? do i need to change flex plate ???

I like the 904 because it uses less power and can be built to handle anything most engines can dish out. That said, in your case, I would use the 727. It will be literally bulletproof when you're done.

Yep,didn't we cover this in another thread you posted? Save $ & use the 904 or spend some $ and use the 727. Doesn't that 727 have a brake drum at the tail end of it?

I put a 360 in my 68 where a 318/904 once sat. I had a 727 and was going to use it but listened to the advice here and used the 904. I am glad and it cost less to do even though I had to shorten the driveshaft anyway because I changed the rear end too. The best thing I think about the 904 is it seems it doesn't need the expensive mods to prevent the exploding 727 issue.

It depends on whether or not you wish to spend more money and how much. The 727 will require swelling the trans tunnel, the 904 requires a balanced converter

if i stick with the 904 with the 360 does any one know what flex plate part number or converter to usewith the 360 ????

if i stick with the 904 with the 360 does any one know what flex plate part number or converter to usewith the 360 ????

You can get converters that are already balanced for 360, or you can get the balanced flexplate and use any non externally balanced converter.
I would use the balanced plate so I could use any number of converters.
Easy to look up on Jegs or Summit.

This conversation always sounds like a religious or what type of computer (Apple or IBM clone) conversation. I am not sure if there is a "right" answer.

I like my 727 because it came with the car and was cheap to rebuild. Under normal conditions, I gather it is bullet proof so i don't have to do this job again. ...and in a drag race with two identical cars except for trans choice, there is less than a second difference in time..

My 2 cents now..but ask me again in 5 years.

ian.

a 727 will fit a 68 Valiant without a hammer touching the trans tunnel....maybe the early A bodies needed it...but after 67 went the A bodies got bigger....nope..

in fact...all the 340 A body cars starting in 68 ...came with 727 from the factory......

I just put a 727 in my 63 dart and all I had to do was bend the lip at the body to pan seam and shorten the drive line. Body work took all of 3 minutes

a 727 will fit a 68 Valiant without a hammer touching the trans tunnel....maybe the early A bodies needed it...but after 67 went the A bodies got bigger....nope..

in fact...all the 340 A body cars starting in 68 ...came with 727 from the factory......

That's kind of what I was going to say.
727's have been put in pretty much all the cars before by the factory.
Especially factory big block cars.

-
Back