904 shifts too early

-

udlooz

Reaction score
When I bought the car, the trans had about 1800 miles since rebuild. From a dead stop, the car will shift twice before you get 40 ft. Will hold in first or second gear manually with no problem....shifts are crisp. Not sure if there is a adjustment similar to TV cable on later model cars? Thought I'd check here before toting it off to the transmission shop.

Not sure about this linkage setup. The throttle linkage is baaaarely ling enough to let the butterflies close completely.

Attachments

• carb linkage.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 680
Definitely sounds like a kickdown problem - I would get under the car and see if you can adjust the kickdown arm further up on the rod.

You need to adjust your throttle pressure linkage. Get it right or you can damage the trans.

For comparison.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 798
where the throttle rod goes through the kickdown linkage...the back of the linkage should be resting against the throttle rod....in the picture it looks like it is somewhere in the middle....

needs to be adjusted...

where the throttle rod goes through the kickdown linkage...the back of the linkage should be resting against the throttle rod....in the picture it looks like it is somewhere in the middle....

needs to be adjusted...

Which actually should make it shift later at low speed.:eek:ops:
Chk and make sure it's connected at the trans also.

the factory service manual has the diagrams to show how to set it. be sure to get the right year as linkage can change year to year. if the setting is to low, it can cause band and plate slippage.

You need to adjust your throttle pressure linkage. Get it right or you can damage the trans.

For years I adjusted Mopar kickdowns with out a manual. If the shift is soon unhook the linkage from the carb stud and screw it in. If the photo you posted is your car, I would close the gap up by a half and test drive it. If it needs more, give it more. If it shifts too late, unscrew it and open up the gap in the slot. This isn't rocket science. I had a Coronet that didn't even have linkage. I wired the lever at the transmission for a medium shift and drove it that way daily. tmm

For years I adjusted Mopar kickdowns with out a manual. If the shift is soon unhook the linkage from the carb stud and screw it in. If the photo you posted is your car, I would close the gap up by a half and test drive it. If it needs more, give it more. If it shifts too late, unscrew it and open up the gap in the slot. This isn't rocket science. I had a Coronet that didn't even have linkage. I wired the lever at the transmission for a medium shift and drove it that way daily. tmm

Did the same thing on my Duster for a long time. Now I have a manual choke cable running down to the lever, instant adjustment!

Bad Sport has it right. The kickdown linkage slot should be touching the carb stud, so when the throttle moves the throttle pressure on the trans starts increasing. You might have to make your trans linkage longer to get it adjusted to where it shifts right. I had to do it on my car.

Bad Sport has it right. The kickdown linkage slot should be touching the carb stud, so when the throttle moves the throttle pressure on the trans starts increasing. You might have to make your trans linkage longer to get it adjusted to where it shifts right. I had to do it on my car.

Took it by trans shop...the did have to modify linkage. Works like a charm, now. Thanks guys.

-
Back