904 Transmission Question

-

cuda6t5

Reaction score
Is A 1964 Barracuda push button Transmission the same as a 1965 Floor cable shifted transmission?

At least some of the 65s were "one year only" cable shifted but slip yoke driveshaft, now that's "in general" not sure about A bodies

If they are both 904's, I's say yes they are the same. To the best of my knowledge, the one year only cable shift/slip yoke refers to 727's.

The difference between the 64 push button and the 65 cable shift is the valve body. Other than that they are the same.

The easiest way to swap from a 64 to 65 is to use the valve body out of whatever was in the car to start with. You can also just swap the rooster comb from the original valve body to the other transmission. I hate cable shift 727 and 904's. They're nothing but a pain in the *** leak waiting to happen....and you don't have to wait long!

Thank you everybody for the Info, Maybe I should Clarify what I am doing, I have a 65 Barracuda Cable floor shifter but the Valve Body is Toast. I have the opportunity to get a 64 parts car but cannot get under the car at this time,(buried in the Brush) I would like to know if the 64 push button transmission will hook up and operate on a 65 floor shifter?

Thank you everybody for the Info, Maybe I should Clarify what I am doing, I have a 65 Barracuda Cable floor shifter but the Valve Body is Toast. I have the opportunity to get a 64 parts car but cannot get under the car at this time,(buried in the Brush) I would like to know if the 64 push button transmission will hook up and operate on a 65 floor shifter?

Help me out here..........the 64 uses cables from the push buttons to the tranny; the 65 uses cables from the shifter to the tranny.......both use 2 cables, one for park, one for gear selection...........what's the difference?

.....what's the difference?
Answer in post #11. Apparently, the rooster-comb varied between 64 & 65.

I also have read that the valve bodies differed between 64 & 65. I ASSumed that 64 had a different shift pattern than 65. But, apparently the cable moves in the same P-R-N-D-2-1 order in both. I should verify this since I have a 64 push-button. There was a fed mandate around that time to standardize shift patterns, so it made since that Chrysler might have changed the pattern (appears they didn't). Perhaps a rare case where GM & Ford had to change to match Chrysler.

I 3rd that the 1965 slip yoke was on 727 transmissions, as my cable-shift 65 Newport has that. It is a big-block and I can't comment about small blocks (some of which had a different 727). All Chrysler C-bodies were big-block, don't know about Dodge & Plymouth.

-
Back