906 heads

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the 906 heads???? i got a pair from a guy and was told that they flow pretty good..ported he says that they went 300/2xx in/ex does this sound right for the iron head????? i plan to put them on the 400 that will go in to the dart if i dont sell it...along with a nice solid or small roller over time ...just looking to see if the #'s sound about right...

The flows sound average for a well ported head with 2.14/1.81 valves. If you had the flows at each lift we could give you a better evaluation. Most ported 906 heads get less maximum flows than you stated and a few get more. Sometimes the inexperienced porter gives up good lower flows to get to the 300 cfm range. A bad head can flow 300 cfm and a good head can flow 300 cfm.

I agree with IQ--Darin Morgan has been quoted (and I love it) as saying

"A good head flows a lot of air---A bad head flows a lot more" That might not be word for word but the message is clear. J.Rob

p.s. I doubt you can make a '906 casting too big anyways.

p.s. I doubt you can make a '906 casting too big anyways.

Yah know J.Rob, I completely agree with you on that. But I cannot state it as FACT 'cause I've never tested it myself. Chrysler sure seems to have been skimpy in port and valve size all across the board with their factory iron heads (opinion only).....Jim

Yah know J.Rob, I completely agree with you on that. But I cannot state it as FACT 'cause I've never tested it myself. Chrysler sure seems to have been skimpy in port and valve size all across the board with their factory iron heads (opinion only).....Jim

I agree, though the engine(s) seem to perform quit well with small ports. The Stage VI is a good example.

FWIW;
From past talks with a couple of builders and a few racers, the Stage VI is favored to about the 470 cube mark and then people become split on it's use on 500 inch engines.

I have yet to build a big block engine. I have a 400 that I want to give a try on. I think I will be sticking with the iron "452" heads. As budget is a concern to start with. Second, there seems to be enuff in the stock head to make a pretty reasonable street strip effort.

I agree, though the engine(s) seem to perform quit well with small ports. The Stage VI is a good example.

FWIW;
From past talks with a couple of builders and a few racers, the Stage VI is favored to about the 470 cube mark and then people become split on it's use on 500 inch engines.

I have yet to build a big block engine. I have a 400 that I want to give a try on. I think I will be sticking with the iron "452" heads. As budget is a concern to start with. Second, there seems to be enuff in the stock head to make a pretty reasonable street strip effort.

There is no doubt that the Chrysler engines perform very well with their small ports. Some other engine brand people are really surprised. We were the first Chrysler engine builders to run with any authority on a dyno run by a Ford man. His comment to his employees, "Did you see that? Did you see what he did with those little-bitty ports?" I'll never forget his amazement.

It was a 400/451 at 9.5:1, with 452 heads (thought you'd like to know THAT), that had just dyno'd 621 HP. If so desired, the 452 head can be made to flow betterna box stock Edelbrock Performer RPM 440. They will serve you well.

If you're set on using iron heads, like me, I always prefer the closed chambered 915's with the 1.80 exhaust valve. Get almost another point of compression and respond well to a basic (non hogged out) port job. IMO anyway.

a dyno run by a Ford man. His comment to his employees, "Did you see that? Did you see what he did with those little-bitty ports?" I'll never forget his amazement.

It was a 400/451 at 9.5:1, with 452 heads (thought you'd like to know THAT), that had just dyno'd 621 HP. If so desired, the 452 head can be made to flow betterna box stock Edelbrock Performer RPM 440. They will serve you well.

(thought you'd like to know THAT)
YES! Indeed, lol thanks. Great story. Helps make my night.
Also, porting the iron heads, within reason, should be a good bit cheaper then Edel. heads OOTB. Just tryin to use what I got.

Now what about Earthmovers head in question, the 906?
Does it fair just as well?

Earthmover, did ya get the flow numbers of the head?

hope to pick them up tomm. if not it will be 1 day this week... if he dont have the flow sheets i will drop them off and have them checked...he say he had them on a motor that made good power..i got them from a guy that i have got parts from before and i drive out to him so i think he's a pretty good guy to deal with(no bs) so i will see how they work...the price was right and by me planning to put a 400 in my dart for street use i fig. what the hell they should be better then stock...but they will be put to use later as i want to get the dart rolling so i can paint it and collect parts as i go....oh and i still have to finish my 451-1head race motor..(thats where the post do we go to far) came from lol..i will keep you posted on the heads..mike

maybe i can get them to heyoldguy and him and IQ52 can get me going in the right direction with them....what you think guys??????heyoldguy and IQ52

heyoldguy and IQ52 are the same knothead. We have met the enemy, and they is us.

thats good to know your a knothead ..lol just joking...:prayer:

(thought you'd like to know THAT)
YES! Indeed, lol thanks. Great story. Helps make my night.
Also, porting the iron heads, within reason, should be a good bit cheaper then Edel. heads OOTB. Just tryin to use what I got.

Now what about Earthmovers head in question, the 906?
Does it fair just as well?

Earthmover, did ya get the flow numbers of the head?

The head in question, the 906. It is at least as good as the 452 and probably better when ported. The 452 has a better shaped exhaust port for porting and the 906 has a better intake port shape for porting. They're close in stock form as you can see here. All flows in this post are from the same flowbench.

Lift.....stock 452......stock 906

.100".....61/55...........66/55
.200"...130/108........130/103
.300"...188/152........189/145
.400"...213/172........222/168
.500"...227/178........234/176
.600"...230/181........237/183

What each of them can do when ported, compared to each other, is completely up to the skill of the person doing the porting and the port design chosen.

Let's put up some examples of different design intake ports for the 452.

Lift........452-1.....452-2.....452-3

.100".......67..........68...........92
.200"......137........142.........170
.300"......199........205.........224
.400"......239........248.........265
.500"......256........286.........287
.600"......262........292.........297
.700"......265........295.........302

The 906 can produce equal flows in the .100"-.400" lift range but can exceed the flows from .500"-.700".

As a comparison, here are flows from a box stock Edelbrock Performer RPM 440.

.100".....73
.200"....146
.300"....209
.400"....254
.500"....276
.600"....287
.700"....291

Cost wise, unless you can port your own heads, or get a great deal somehow, you're better off getting the Edelbrock head.

IDK, it's kind of a wash cost wise. Either new Aluminum or well done iron, the cost is about equal, with a slight edge to the Edel. head if the springs are good for your application and even better so if the head itself, chamber cc, valve size, etc... are more in line for what you need and/or doing.

Considering the CID is 400 and not a 440 or larger engine and what exactly someone is doing with it, head choice is also tasters choice.

(Thanks for the flow numbers.)

hey thanks for the tech there guys...now how about a good street combo with the 906 heads(ported) and a 400 low deck...cam,and intake choices would be???????i think when i am able to get this thing going i will grab me a nice solid or a small roller with the heads ..

what do you guys think of the 906 heads???? i got a pair from a guy and was told that they flow pretty good..ported he says that they went 300/2xx in/ex does this sound right for the iron head????? i plan to put them on the 400 that will go in to the dart if i dont sell it...along with a nice solid or small roller over time ...just looking to see if the #'s sound about right...

How much lift are you planning to run ? Some people brag up the hi lift flow but guess what , it's only there for a split second , it sees all the low lift flows TWICE , on the way up and on the way down. Also depending on the head you can make real good hi lift flow and ruin the low lift numbers which are just as important because you use them twice ...

Flow at .700 on a 906 is sort of useless because who is going to build something with 906 heads these days using a .700 lift soild roller ?

No offense to anyone was meant ...

Flow at .700 on a 906 is sort of useless because who is going to build something with 906 heads these days using a .700 lift soild roller ?

No offense to anyone was meant ...

John, I agree with you 100%. If it was me, and the result is a pump gas street monster with a 3.75 stroke, I'd be running a closed chamber aluminum head (RPMs) to take full advantage of what they can offer (a real quench pad, great low and mid lift flow, and weight).

Having successfully used 906 heads to close to .800" lift, even I don't RECOMMEND it, IF you have another CHOICE. In that case use ANY aftermarket aluminum head rather than the stock factory iron head. Sometimes you already have in your possession the iron head and can afford nothing else. Well then use it! There is no shame in running that old iron.

If the only thing you can afford are old 516s that you have washed off with garden hose, use them. Build with what you have and go to better things as you desire and are able.

In all the time we have fiddled with factory iron heads, we have never made more than 745 HP on 91 octane pump gas with them, so, I suppose, they are worthless.

When we made 621 HP with the 452 heads, that was all we could afford and never had even gazed upon the Edelbrock RPM heads. When we saw them and could afford them, we used the RPM's on the very same short block, and with a few tweaks it made 786.9 HP, still on pump gas.

We all make up our own rules by what we have tried and been successful with. I like the iron, I prefer the aluminum. Depending upon the rules we have to play with, I may choose the iron over the aluminum.

Oh-oh, OH-OH, this almost sounds like we are in agreement.

906 heads flow like a mexican eatin cheese for a week straight. heh

In all the time we have fiddled with factory iron heads, we have never made more than 745 HP on 91 octane pump gas with them, so, I suppose, they are worthless.

LMAO! Love it! I agree, use what ya got. Upgrades will take place when the time comes and the money allows. It is just that simple. To many people worry about not having that Edelbrock head to go fast or make power. While I myself would also like to have aluminum heads for the next and each build from here on out, it isn't just going to happen.

I've always said, there's nothing wrong with a stock head. Often a good flowing head can be done with the OE part and done cheaper. While it may not out flow an aluminum product, sometimes it's just not in the wallet for spending. (Or within the rules of the game) Ta just gotta know how to work it. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

That aint no ****. At the machine shop i look at clevelands and oval port bb chevys and they make my **** look skimpy. But i bet my ported indys make just as much power.

..i picked up my heads today and they look great..as far as the lift i plan to run i have no idea it want be no 700...come on guys letas get real here 700 on the street in a full blown street car...(not me) but anyway will post up pics tomm or the heads if i can...will have the heads flowed unless he can fine the sheet he has...but either way i think for what i plan to do this heads will be just fine....this is just a car i plan to drive around and beat on some time when i feel like it,but must be able to drive it 30/50 miles if i want to... i at least have to be able to drive this thing to bob house so we can ride around a little ..lol .anyway check in later on ..mike :D

-
Back