94 Ram b350 speedometer failure

-

cmac

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here or not but here goes... My 94 ram b350 vans speedometer quit. I pulled the vss electrical connector and trans fluid came out(not good). So I replaced the vss and still no working speedometer. The fuse is good. I cannot find a wiring diagram online. Everything else on dash works. Vehicle is running ok. Key on off test gives me a 3 3 3 55. Which is odd because it should only be 2 digit codes. Unhooked battery- no change. Any suggestions??

when you replaced the sensor,did you pull the houseing that sensor bolts to and check the plastic drive gear for wear ?

I used a 94 van as a doner vehicle for my drivetrain swap. I found the speedometer was driven off the ring gear in the rear differential, I think you will probfind a bad pick up on the diff, the one for my Dakota cost about $29 and was a simple swap.

I used a 94 van as a doner vehicle for my drivetrain swap. I found the speedometer was driven off the ring gear in the rear differential, I think you will probfind a bad pick up on the diff, the one for my Dakota cost about $29 and was a simple swap.

If its similar to just about everything else, the antilock brake processor supplies the signal to the speedometer. It does get its input from that rear sensor.

The plastic gear drive behind the vss is ok. Rear diff sensor, antilock brake sensor????? Why would it have a vss

I'm not absolutely sure about Chry' work trucks for 94. ( I could ask my bro ).
I do know speedometer/odometer was added to Bosch antilock processors as a secondary duty in every brand they build at some point, mostly to prevent odometer tampering.
Does the van have antilock brakes or cruise control ? If so do they work properly ?

It has rear wheel anti lock brakes: Never in 3 years have I had that work. Does someone have a wiring diagram for this vehicle? I can't find one.
I forgot to add that the odometer still functions

I replaced abs differential sensor and no go. Rear harness to that sensor looked brittle so I checked that and its fine. ??????

I could keep throwing parts at this old van but a $90 GPS is an easy way out!

have you pulled the negative battery cable off for a time ?

-
Back