98 Ram SS/T Redo/Restore

-
Are those the plastic liners for the rear? I have never thought of those but I wil definitely look for them now. Good idea. Found out earlier that I get to drive it all the way to western KY 650 miles one way on Sunday.

Yeah.... just a quick search for my year model came up with this. I'm not sure if they have them for yours.... I don't see why they wouldn't. These should have been installed on the trucks in the first place!!!

http://www.mopardodge.com/accessories/dodgeram/wheelwellliners.htm

Are those the plastic liners for the rear? I have never thought of those but I wil definitely look for them now. Good idea. Found out earlier that I get to drive it all the way to western KY 650 miles one way on Sunday.

< perk > Western Kentucky??? Are you possibly going to be anywhere near me? I'd love to meet you and shake your hand Corey.

Sneak peak of the drop. Finished it last night. I replaced all ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, all new Prothane bushings, 3 inch Belltech coil springs, and Belltech rear hangers. Needs an alignment still but the steering is very responsive now and when I turn the wheel it turns. Gotta have the bumpstops removed too as it sits on them right now. I have more pics of the actual work that I will post later.

Attachments

• DSC00561.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 261
WOW!!:blob: lowered with new wheels, tires and bed cover :cheers:
Look'en great :happy2::happy2:

If my memory serves me right Corey, we only installed those plastic rear wheel well liners on 4X4 trucks. I am not saying that they won't work on a 4X2 but if you can find a 1994-2001 1500 4X4 in the salvage yard they are only held on by those plastic rivets, a small chisel and a little tap tap and off they come. Oh and by the way WELCOME HOME !!!
Bob

Looks good,Corey.When I first started lowering vehicles(mid 80s), we did most of it,trial and error.It is nice to be able to install parts once,and be done with it nowadays.

If my memory serves me right Corey, we only installed those plastic rear wheel well liners on 4X4 trucks. I am not saying that they won't work on a 4X2 but if you can find a 1994-2001 1500 4X4 in the salvage yard they are only held on by those plastic rivets, a small chisel and a little tap tap and off they come. Oh and by the way WELCOME HOME !!!
Bob

You are the man!! Thank you so much for the info I will be looking for a set soon.

Updating my Shutterfly account with all of the new pics since I got home almost a month ago. Dropping the truck off in the morning to get an alignment so I can really feel the difference the new and improved front end and altitude has made. I will be having the front bumpstops removed and the rears cut in half for a little more clearance. It is sitting on the front stops and it rides a little rough so they have to go so I will have a few inches of travel. Should be all I need. Check link in my sig for all of the pics.

Corey, My SS/T has the wheel well covers, if you want I will look to see if I can find part numbers on them.

Well I guess it is time to update this a little. I finally managed to get the issue with the wet passenger floorboard fixed. After driving the SS/T all the way to KY and back with no real issues other then the oil fill cap coming off the floor was soaked. I mean you could smack the carpet and water would splash. So I went to Autzone and bought a preformed piece of heater hose for a Suzuki Sidekick I believe and cut it off a little and it fit perfect. The issue is that the water drains fine but the drain tube comes out straight under the hood and while driving there is a positive pressure under there and the water runs out and back down the tube thru the firewall into the carpet. You can see here that I routed it down the inner fender along some other lines that were there. It now just streams out.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0930-1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 198
I also got my carpet installed but I can't find the pics for some reason so I will move on. I installed my tach as well. Now I know I know why does a truck need a shift light? Answer. Why doesn't a truck need a shift light?

Attachments

• tach test.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 208
As some of you know a cracked windshield can turn even the best vehicle into a miserable driving experience. So a new windshield was in order.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 181
Ok now for the biggest improvement that is currently being developed. I am doing a big brake swap on the front to use 08 Ram front rotors and 04 Porsche Boxster S 4 piston Brembo calipers. I currently have the calipers. They were bought separately and one is freshly rebuilt and the other will need rebuilding but I will be using the dirty one for mockup prior to rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1625.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 173
Well today was a pretty good day. A local junkyard had a $20 all you can carry day, the catch is you have to be able to physically carry it over the scales about 30 feet. So I went early and packed my tools in my backpack with my wish list in hand. I was going for a set of stock spindles, and rotors as well as a stock set of rotors from a 02-newer for mockup of my disc swap. Well the Mopar gods were looking over me today. The first truck in the Dodge line had the spindles and 98 rotors and the second truck was an 04 with the rotors still on it as well. So I used a lugnut to bolt the 04 rotors to the 98 spindle and rotor and I carried them both across the scales. Oh did I mention that I forgot the correct allen wrench so I had to carry the calipers as well? That crap is heavy. Also the 04 rotors are hub centric to my stock rotors so I don't have to have a spacer made, that's a win in my book as well. So with my first score loaded up I decided to make another $20 trip. This time I went in with less tools to save weight and was looking for little things. Well I scored pretty big I think. I scored a set of rear wheel well liners from a 4wd, a piller trim with factory tweeters, map light lenses, a steering wheel volume button, 2 early 90s dakota Magnum air cleaners, and a set of cruise control buttons that still had the words on them. After I returned home I did a little mock up to see how well the calipers are going to fit. They are tight but I think they will work. Plus seeing that Porsche through the spokes looks pretty BA.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 163
Good to hear about your GREAT junkyard day and to see how your plans for your truck are coming together!!

The whole trip was worth the wheel liners. You really wouldn't think they would make that much of appearance change but they do.

Ok so on August 31 I finally got to take the truck to the dyno and drag strip. I have been waiting to swap any parts until after I get some base line HP numbers and 1/4 times. So for the dyno it put down 192/240 which isn't as high as I would have liked but when you factor in that it was a second gear pull which makes the torque numbers appear low. I will take it back in a few weeks hopefully and check again. As for the strip my first pass was 16.36 at around 82mph I believe. On the third pass I remove the stock airbox and picked up 2 tenths. By my last pass I had my time down to 15.97 and 85.3mph. All in 7 passes. I know I have alot more in it still. I am thinking a drag radial somewhere in the 27-28 inch range will help me tremendously, my current tires are 30 inches and heavy. Not too bad for a truck that is over 4200 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1715.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 121
The next day I received the phone call that my best friend was KIA in Afgahnistan. That pretty much ruined any motivation I had for working on the truck. However I did decide that I have to keep myself busy go ahead and put on my Mopar Performance air cleaner and Accel Kool Blue filter. Looks and performs alot better then the very restrictive factory airbox.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 125
So on the 2nd I went to Dover Delaware to receive my best friends remains. Was the hardest thing I have ever done, up until that point in my life. So after I came home I remember that my friend had made a comment on my Facebook page about my truck and how clean it was and he could still see the rusty brake parts even in Afgahnistan. So I jacked up the truck and pulled all 4 wheels and broke out the caliper paint and brake cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1762.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 117
-
Back