A-518 Who has put one in an A-boby

-

fishman

Reaction score
I have a 69 Cuda small block w/727, Just got it on the road. I'm thinking already about putting something with an overdrive in. Motor is probly making around 430 to 450 hp. Anybody using a A-518 and how much trouble are they to switch to. And also will they hold up, will see some strip time along with highway driving. Thanks for any input. Tom

Ok Johnny, thats cool i'll have to do some more reading up on this. In the mean time i'm going keep an eye out for a trans and head it off at the crusher. Thanks

PM me your email address. I recently received some information on it that I can pass along. In addition to the site already posted.

fishman do a search here and you'll find this has been brought up numerous times before. I haven't ever been involved in a swap so I don't have any comments there but I have heard 450 hp isn't a problem with them it there done right.

Oh yeah. You don't want a 92 unit. They had allot of problems. 93 thru 96 I believe is what you want. Anything newer than 96 is computer controlled so you don't want that of course.

I've got one... OD with Lockup and a TCI 2500 converter.
Cruzin with 3.91 rear 3000 rpm is about 65mph. flip on the OD and the Rs drop to 2100.
92 and older were non lockup converters, so only need a switch to control the overdrive. Better choice selection for stall converters.
93- 96 have a lockup, additionally this needs a pressure switch to disable the LU automaticaly when coming to a stop, or you need to remember to flip off the switch.
I've checked with Dynamic, TCI and SMR. They say that about 2500-2800 is max stall because of the limits of the LU construction.
SMR says they can make a higher stall converter for the 93 and newer but it will disable the LU function.

and then there are the floor mods ya need to do to get a decent driveshaft angle.

duster floor02.jpg

duster floor03.jpg

duster floor06.jpg

duster floor07.jpg

duster floor16.jpg

I could have sworn a guy that posted about this a few months back said he didn't have to modify the floor. It was in a Dart Sport if I remember right. Just the top of the crossmember had to be opened up some and of course the trans mount had to be majorly re-worked. Maybe I'm wrong but I think I remember it that way.

Fishy,
You weren't dreaming, There have been a few different ones on here.
A couple have left the floor skin alone and removed the up and over part of the xmember and replaced it with a much stouter lower mount like on the link Longone posted above.
I question whether they have a good driveshaft angle unless the rear is jacked up.
here is a link to one of those threads. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=41875&highlight=a-518+a518
I didnt like that and wanted to keep the strength going over the top, and to look similar to a factory install.
Because the floor was so perfect I didnt want to cut it if not necessary.
I measured, measured and triple measured to be sure that the trans was placed in at the same angle as the 727 I replaced.
I determined that in my case, the trans would point down below the diff a couple inches if I didnt cut the floor.
The up and over was kept as compact as possible, using two pieces of 1/8" flatstock (bent around an acetylene tank) and the sides are 5/16 round bar welded completely around all sides. I also removed about 3/4inch from the left side xmember between the torsion bar mount and the tranny mount holes.
That let me keep the tranny mount reinforcement thats inside the xmember intact.

Ah very good Charger. You definetly don't want the tailshaft pointing down like that and you for sure want a good structural support. I know what you mean about cutting up perfectly good sheet metal but sometimes you just gotta do it. Looks like a nice job your doing there.

I'm happy with the results.
Ive been runnin the OD for almost 2 years now, and I'm not giving it back :-D
I live in Phoenix and have been to Minneapolis once, Las Vegas twice, and recently out to Burbank.
As much as I like it, and it is good, It isn't perfect.. it wants to bounce in and out of od around 45mph so I just shut it off around town.
...and with my cam, the vacuum switch knocks the OD out under fairly light acceleration...but...
I just saw that the company I bought the switches from(PATC) has an adjustable one now.

Same link that Longone posted above.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

I guess I'll be on the phone monday to order one up.

I got this one from a 93 delivery van that had 5.2 EFI.
Because It came behind a 318, one of the clutch packs had only 3 clutch disks I think.
My trans guy was able to do some machine work and got two more clutches in there.
You guys know the inner workings better than me, I'm more of a body guy, so I claim ignorance to some of this.:-D

I`m chasing a vibration in my convertible and everything seems to be pointing towards the transmission. If it is, and the trans is toast then I`m thinking of either going to a 727 or perhaps an OD transmission like the 518. With your info I can keep an eye open for one now. Thanks- John

I`m chasing a vibration in my convertible and everything seems to be pointing towards the transmission. If it is, and the trans is toast then I`m thinking of either going to a 727 or perhaps an OD transmission like the 518. With your info I can keep an eye open for one now. Thanks- John

Dam Johnny you put the presure on, LOL I'll help you that way we'll be good at it. btw I love the way this lil' smallblock is running.

Wen't to Hops today and took Big Mike up LaSalle ave. He sounded like a stuck pig when I let it go and it was easy!

I love my 518. OD gear with my 3.55s will be the same as keeping the 2.45s.

My floor was not modified, but the stock crossover was cut down and replaced with a flatstock loop and beefed up with 2x2" welded subframe connectors.

This winter I'm removing the stock cross over and replacing it with flatstock. I'm also adding sub-frame connectors. I'm also not going to be running torsion bars.

What bout 500 trans? I wanted to do 518, guys jumped on me , go 500 , much better etc etc =old 904/727 thing? Only reason i bring it up is maybe cutting not as bad, and i am thinking slant 6 / street rod app. That trans is BIG ...

Keisler thing also comes up...

-
Back