A-833 Stuck in gear

-

jedindl

Reaction score
I just reinstalled my transmission and it is stuck in gear and I can't get it out of gear.

With all the linkage disconnected I can move the bars that connect to the transmission for reverse and for 3rd and 4th gear. The bar for 1st and 2nd will not budge? The lock nut holding the bar in place is not on too tight.

Any suggestions?

The only thing that is interlocked is the two levers for forward speeds. So if you are certain that you have 3/4 in neutral, then it's time to pull the side cover. Maybe you didn't get the fork in, maybe it's bent, or maybe the side cover has a problem with the interlock.

In fact, when I used to install a gearbox, I would purposely put the box into reverse and a forward speed simultaneously. This locks the shaft to the box, so that you can "wiggle" the gearbox and get the splines to engage.

Either the lockouts are confused or the slide ring that the shift fork moves to change gears went off the end of the travel too far and is stuck there because of it.
Pulling the side cover is pretty much mandatory at this point if nothing will move.
Pull the cover and look at the slide ring for the front fork and I'll bet you find it's stuck.
If it isn't then the problem is in the cover and it's related shift fork and lockout (detent) parts.

Or like Del said, you might have missed it with the fork.

I'm no expert but I might try to rock the tail shaft u joint back and forth while I tried to get it out of gear.

I finally got the 1st and 2nd to move.

I positioned all the bars in what seemed like neutral and got the shifter set at neutral.

Put the linkage back in.

Got in and tried shifting through the gears and it seemed to work but then, stuck again.

1st and 2nd is stuck again.

So I obviously didn't have things all lined up when I put the linkage back together. It seem pretty obvious where neutral is for each bar on the transmission. So my maybe my linkage is out of whack.

It is always the most basic thing.

Some Asshat (namely me) put the reverse bar going down for the reverse, so of course as soon as I shifted I was jamming it up in reverse making it impossible for 1st and 2nd to work properly.

Seems to be shifting smoothly now and just about ready to get it back on the road.

Thanks for reading guys.

Your answer is not clear. If the shifter is disconnected, you should be able to shift them. YOU MAY have a problem in the side plate interlock mechanism.

However, you may not be able to shift them with your hands. At my age and with my health problems, I probably could not, anymore. Put a small crescent wrench on the lever(s) and see if they shift. Also with one in each gear, one at a time, wiggle the other lever. It should remain in neutral due to the lockout

Issue was the reverse bar at the transmission was upside down, this would put the transmission in Reverse and make it impossible to shift between 1st and 2nd. I flipped it and adjusted the reverse linkage. Works fine now.

Just took a spin around the block, all gears working normal.

-
Back