A Body 741 Sure Grip Value.

-
I’ve been in this hobby since I bought a new 1970 340 4 speed Duster. And my personal experience is that I’ve never seen a cone SG in a early model 741 or 742 case. That I knew came from the factory.

I have, more so in the 741 than the 742.
Keep looking you will eventually see it.

I had a pre 741 with a cone type in it. I think the housing was a 657.

Last edited:
Borg Warner made Spin Resistant (cone) differentials for many different rearends over the years. The 1959 ad in post # 45 does not show or mention anything about the 8.75" version, which was first installed by the factory in the 1969 model year.

1. Cone sure-grips were not installed by the factory in 742 cases.

2. Clutch sure-grips were not installed by the factory in 489 cases.

3. '69 and newer (model year) 741 cases came with cone sure-grips from the factory.

4. '68 and older (model year) 741 cases came with clutch sure-grips from the factory.

Interesting, thanks.

So its highly likely my '69 Barracuda has the cone type then? Looking forward to finding out. The Barracuda IVe found in a field is also a '69.

Ive been told one of the main reasons the UK got HD parts and 8 3/4 Sure-grips for the UK 273 and 318 cars is Chrysler did not want to deal with warranty claims on these cars any more than they had to so gave them beefed up components. Ive also been told that due to the twisty and narrow UK roads UK cars would need/expect better handling and brakes that the average US car. Not sure of the truthfulness of this though.

I guess what you've written above is not set in stone though?

As mentioned in my original post, this applies to 8.75" rearends built for the USA market. I have no experience with foreign applications.

As mentioned in my original post, this applies to 8.75" rearends built for the USA market. I have no experience with foreign applications.

I get that, but even foreign applications built in the USA have to use the same parts bins surely?

I'm not an authority on Mopars built to foreign specs, but I assume the drivetrain parts are most likely the same.

Things like RHD dash frames were not taken from the same parts bin unless the cars were converted after they arrived overseas.

Borg Warner made Spin Resistant (cone) differentials for many different rearends over the years. The 1959 ad in post # 45 does not show or mention anything about the 8.75" version, which was first installed by the factory in the 1969 model year.

3. '69 and newer (model year) 741 cases came with cone sure-grips from the factory.

4. '68 and older (model year) 741 cases came with clutch sure-grips from the factory.

What axle do you think is under the car in the ad?
I don't think it is a dana 60. If it was it would not have a Borg Warner unit in it would it?
The picture in the ad looks like a 8 3/4 housing to me.
I bought the ad off of ebay. It should be here in a few days then I will see what it says.

This is supposedly the only '67 Barracuda RHD convertible 273.

View attachment 1715593180

View attachment 1715593183
LZhudmpNkkmNCbeuKHrFW-ldEUmATojLR9TiL8ehvlqKNqulNoiXZ87M4KZ5mEfupMoOgOaJiza2rCGshuKc23_hQNMyaRl0.jpg

Ive been discussing values of A Body 8 3/4 Axles with the 741, sure-grip and 3.23 gears. From a Barracuda. Anyone have a rough idea what they're selling for drum to drum?

Thanks.

just a housing is going for $400+ these days. complete with a desirable gear like that i've seen people asking 1200+ for them drum to drum.

-
Back