A body 8 3/4 rear axle housing

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 rear housing that I need to order the steel brake line for, however I don't know what it came out of. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that, depending on the year, the hole that the T-fitting and vent screw thread into is located in different spots. As best I could measure under the car, looked like the threaded hole is about 15 1/2 to 15 3/4 inches from the housing axle flange surface. Looked like the hole was just about where the axle tube started to transition to the curved part that holds the diff. Can anybody tell me what year or years this housing is so I can order the correct hard line for it? Thanks for any help.

Don't know the measurements but if you had a picture I could tell you right away.

On mine it is 15 1/2 from the drivers side backing plate. So looks like your good. I had a 7 1/4 rear that I'm changing to 8 3/4 and they both seem to be in the same place. Car is a 74 Duster and was original 318 engine.

AFAIK
If you use the wrong year housing for the chassis, the hose will either; not hook to the fitting or it will not anchor on the factory bracket.
You cannot install a wrong year hose onto a wrong year housing.
So what this boils down to is that if the hose fits on both ends then the housing is correct for the chassis year.
AFAIK
Somebody correct me if I remember this wrong.

What he is saying is that there are two 8-3/4 axle housings, 66-69 and 70-72. He needs to know which one he has so he can order the correct steel brake lines.

If the OP would read the linked post, he'd know which housing he has, but to save him some time, here's the info...

Courtesy @cosgig...and @Bad Sport

Before the 1970 model year, the splitter block was located up on the hump of the center section a bit! In 1970, it was moved down the drivers side tube a bit! This will also play havoc when you have the wrong unit as the rubber flex line from the body to the axle will not be long enough on a 70 and later car when using a 69 and earlier housing, and vise versa! Ask me how I know... I used a housing from a Duster in my 66 Cuda!! The mounting location of the body bracket moved with the splitter block!!

rear-diff-vent-3-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
If the OP would read the linked post, he'd know which housing he has, but to save him some time, here's the info...

Courtesy @cosgig...and @Bad Sport

Before the 1970 model year, the splitter block was located up on the hump of the center section a bit! In 1970, it was moved down the drivers side tube a bit! This will also play havoc when you have the wrong unit as the rubber flex line from the body to the axle will not be long enough on a 70 and later car when using a 69 and earlier housing, and vise versa! Ask me how I know... I used a housing from a Duster in my 66 Cuda!! The mounting location of the body bracket moved with the splitter block!!

View attachment 1715240482
Thank you 65Val! That is exactly the info I was looking for. It appears I have the 70-72 housing. Now I know which year lines to order. Thanks to everyone for replying!

-
Back