A-body Hemi box 4 speed

-
Maybe if Davescuda comes back and tells you the SS vin guy has that on file, then yes. Until then, it's a converted B body trans and that's not the answer you want to hear.

I did no less than 10 of these B to A, 18 spline conversions back in the 80's.

Those shift rods won't fit any A body car I've ever worked on without some serious mods. Definitely not SS shift parts

Marksmopar1 transmission is a PERFECT example. No A body cars from Lynch Road in 1968 from what i recall.

Replicarracer is 100% correct on this as well.

Yes, I was aware its not an original SS/A trans, but posted as an example of what can be done....still a nice trans should or if someone wanted to go 18 spline. Thanks guys!
By the way..this is a great thread !

I hear you.

The trans is clearly 18 spline A-body, unless you prove it otherwise, it is 18 spline A-body. You cant just deny something existence.

You're showing picture of you, I say "No, this is not you. This is something else". We dont do thing like that, do we?

I'd love to hear everyone opinion, keep the debate going.

Maybe if Davescuda comes back and tells you the SS vin guy has that on file, then yes. Until then, it's a converted B body trans and that's not the answer you want to hear.

I did no less than 10 of these B to A, 18 spline conversions back in the 80's.

Those shift rods won't fit any A body car I've ever worked on without some serious mods. Definitely not SS shift parts

Marksmopar1 transmission is a PERFECT example. No A body cars from Lynch Road in 1968 from what i recall.

Replicarracer is 100% correct on this as well.

It's an 18 spline trans that's set up to go in an A body.

I'm not the one trying to say it's a SS trans or why someone would go through the trouble of swapping a tailshaft. Chrsyler DID NOT build that trans, in it's current configuration, to go in a factory A body car. PERIOD! Your pictures throw the SS trans right out the window.

We have had two of these 18 spline. Both had iron sychros with straight cut gears. Both had A Body tailshafts. Both had real deal s\s vin codes. Sold the second they were listed also. Don't know if that helps just putting it out there.

Everything about this trans points to a modified part rather than a factory built transmission. Still a great part to have.

Chevy guy built this for his street strip camaro is what it appears it will fit as is. With a little work it could be used in a A-body.

Your analyzing result backward: Everything about this trans point to a Mopar factory built transmission.

Your theory has a big flaw: If the Chevy guy built this trans for his application, by the time it dis-assembly he would machine the input-shaft, not cut it by chainsaw like this one.

Your analyzing result backward: Everything about this trans point to a Mopar factory built transmission.

Your theory has a big flaw: If the Chevy guy built this trans for his application, by the time it dis-assembly he would machine the input-shaft, not cut it by chainsaw like this one.

You don't know what you are writing about, that much is clear. Chevy/GM people did this all the time to get rid of the failure prone m21-22 boxes. Hacksaw away!

It has a vin stamped in it, that should be your first HUGE hint, but you choose to remain on this hunt to prove yourself correct. Which cars from that plant would have come with an 18 spline box?

That trans DID NOT leave the factory in its' current configuration. Now you are just trolling hoping you found a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket only to find out it's not what you were hoping it to be.

Is it a nice 18 spline trans that will go in an A body, yep... congrats on that. If you paid strong money for it because someone sold it as a SS trans... you're now getting an education in 18 spline transmissions. Caveat Emptor. Beyond that, it's nothing special.

Send those pics to Brewers instead of a asking bunch of people on this site, some in this hobby for 40+ years, that you don't trust or believe.

You don't know what you are writing about, that much is clear. Chevy/GM people did this all the time to get rid of the failure prone m21-22 boxes. Hacksaw away!

It has a vin stamped in it, that should be your first HUGE hint, but you choose to remain on this hunt to prove yourself correct. Which cars from that plant would have come with an 18 spline box?

That trans DID NOT leave the factory in its' current configuration. Now you are just trolling hoping you found a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket only to find out it's not what you were hoping it to be.

Is it a nice 18 spline trans that will go in an A body, yep... congrats on that. If you paid strong money for it because someone sold it as a SS trans... you're now getting an education in 18 spline transmissions. Caveat Emptor. Beyond that, it's nothing special.

Send those pics to Brewers instead of a asking bunch of people on this site, some in this hobby for 40+ years, that you don't trust or believe.

Absolutly correct!

You were given the chance to express your opinion, and you did.
Now, when I discuss with someone else I expected to hear from him, not you. You must wait for your turn, can you do that?

You seem afraid of something, whats that?

It was a common thing for a guy with a Camero to hack the input shaft on a transmission like what you have so it could be bolted behind a healthy rat motor. They were also good at modifying the Mopar Dana 60s for their other than Mopar race cars.
Everyone knew these type of parts were the strongest parts one could get at lower used parts prices. Even the brand x guys.
In the past 30 some years I have repaired many such butchered transmissions.
Some were slick shifted some not. Some long tail some short. They weren't picky as to a certain configuration. But the one consistensy was the shortened input. It was necessary.
They made a plate that bolted to the back of the bell housing to convert to the 833 transmissions bolt pattern. The thickness of this plate and the pilot used would determine how much was cut off the input shaft. It varies from one to the next.
I have only seen one that was done well or in a lathe. I have even seen them done with a torch and file.
Most are ugly work that I have come across.
I would fix the input and get the correct linkage on it so it can be used in a A-body.
Shame to leave it yuk'd up like that.

Someone have trouble understanding sequential logic.

I of course know Chevy would cut input-shaft, but to say he built this trans for his application is implausible .
If he built this trans, by the time he dis-assembly the trans (to swap main-shaft, supposedly), he would removed the input-shaft and have it machined.
He would not sitting there, in front the trans, with another invited guy back-and-forth the whole day hacksaw the input-shaft.

Now to the theory this is B-body swapped.

+ You happened to own 18-spline B-body trans from 1968 Hemi Charger or 1968 Charger R/T 4-speed.
+ This 18-spline trans happened to have build date by the time 1968 A-body SuperStock build : February/18/1968 and May/21/1968.
+ This 18-spline trans happened to be build from Assembly Plant that made all 1968 A-body.
+ You happened to have cast iron A-body tail-shaft. That tail-shaft have casting # match the time the trans build.

The probability for these outcomes happened at the same time is close to zero.
I respected a man of 40 knowledge, however, we do correct experience everyday, that is how air-plane, computer and spaceship were build.

This message is hidden because SuperStock is on your ignore list.
Keep at it and tell people MUCH smarter than you regarding the subject that they are wrong! LOL Your logic is flawed in SO many ways.

Chevy pro stock cars of the era used so many a833 boxes, it wasn't even funny!

I'm not seeing it.
Where is all the factory special 68 SS transmission parts?
How likely is it that ALL these special parts were removed and passenger car and Chevy parts installed as substitutes.
How many race preped four speeds went out of Hurst installed in the SS cars?
How many more 18 spline a-body transmissions were racer built?
How many case castings were made in 68?

I'm not seeing it.
Where is all the factory special 68 SS transmission parts?
How likely is it that ALL these special parts were removed and passenger car and Chevy parts installed as substitutes.
How many race preped four speeds went out of Hurst installed in the SS cars?
How many more 18 spline a-body transmissions were racer built?
How many case castings were made in 68?

Lots harder to pull all the specific stuff out than swap a tailshaft. :cheers:

Everyone had access to lathes in the late 60-early 70's. LOL

But that is crappy logic and poor reasoning! LOL This is classic scientist flawed logic with the OP. Disregard EVERYTHING that doesn't support your conclusion, even when that data overwhelming disproves your conclusion. I don't believe it, so it doesn't count.

Hacksaw, nope never happened. That's how I did them. Took a yoke with a cut off 4th ear U-joint, attached a drill to the third cap register on U joint. Had someone run the drill with trans in 4th gear while applying a file to the cut end to put a chamfer/bevel on it. Straight up hillbilly lathe!

If it turns out to be a SS vin (doubtful), great, the rest of the box has little to do with a SS trans at this point.

I know this is an old thread, But I found my A body hemi box. I've had it 40+ years. Bought it when I was 16 for my Duster. Guy told me it came out of a SS hemi car. He also said the racer knew someone at the factory who gave it to him out the back door. I had it in my Duster until 1978. Has no synchros or dogs. No stamping on VIN pad. Case date appears to be 12-13-66. Real or not?

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

really interesting read, and I'm fascinated by the knowledge here. So wtf was the bottom line here?

interesting thread....

when OMM and I bought the Butch Leal / California Flash / Direct Connection B/MP Hemi Duster it came with an aluminum case / 18- spline / short tail-shaft (A body) trans. The first two gears are slick shifted but 3 and 4 are synchronized. It was suppose to be "fresh" and race ready....but I am having a trusted Mopar friend tear it down, pretty it up (blast the cases) and make sure it is good to go. I do not know how rare this trans is....a few of OMM friends (THE factory race guys) told him they ran those "from the factory".

We will not immediately install it in the Flash. Our intention is to install a fresh 23 spline, likely modified to big bearing 18 spline fully synchronized version. I sure do not want to ruin a race transmission parading / putting around the show field.

I will ask OMM to start a thread w/pictures and add some input later.

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread is said there was a guy at the Larry Roesch swap that had a Hemi A-Body trans for sale, that was me. It was a 72 built trans from the Mopar Hustle Stuff program, the precursor to the Direct Connection program. It is all cast iron and was slick shifted from new. I have had lots of 833's that were cut-down for Chivvy's, they never had a trans that could handle any torque.

Earlier in the thread is said there was a guy at the Larry Roesch swap that had a Hemi A-Body trans for sale, that was me. It was a 72 built trans from the Mopar Hustle Stuff program, the precursor to the Direct Connection program. It is all cast iron and was slick shifted from new. I have had lots of 833's that were cut-down for Chivvy's, they never had a trans that could handle any torque.

Interesting. This is exactly how I would describe my trans.
Do you recognize this pad? I mean any similarities?
min833casting 032.jpg

Yes, my pad looks just like that, of course except for the date code and number built that day.

Yes, my pad looks just like that, of course except for the date code and number built that day.

Thank you, and good info about the Mopar Hustle Stuff Program. Never heard about that.
Would the white marking indicate trans is new from the factory. It appears inside, it never has been run...
I was thinking just brushing it off some and carefully use some gray casting paint, leaving the white marking.
But then again, the transmission when leaving the factory (production cars) did not have any color finish... right?
So I may be just leave it as it is...? What would be correct?

I would leave it alone, original is ALWAYS better than restored if it doesn't look too bad, just my opinion.

Bringing up an old thread with a new Craigslist find.

Mopar 18 Spline , All Aluminum, Hemi BB - auto parts - by owner -...

PHONE CALLS ONLY
RARE MOPAR 18 Spline all Aluminum Case & Tailshaft transmission with Alum Bell, Hurst Shifter & NOS Zbar for A BODY.
I do not know info on these but told by the "EXPERTS" this is Rare Mopar Performance or Hustle Stuff Parts put out for the Racer or A Body HP Big Block build back in 70s.
$3650, Offers ok, Cash at pickup. Located in Bethlehem PA 18018

PHONE CALLS ONLY
48 FOUR223 6
FOUR85

9A7F7E5F-22DA-4568-89FE-D4A616611267.jpeg
0580DEB2-3457-4D88-9433-96F4A16D44AE.jpeg
87E61E46-3D25-495D-BF3C-BF68483BE63E.jpeg
FF16C84B-91D4-42F7-9F13-7C67A6F8C8B2.jpeg
DF1B55D6-B1FD-440D-9115-E3902FCA2476.jpeg
C4826EDA-DCF7-44DA-BB70-50764BECC5B8.jpeg
1C76159E-194B-41C8-9E8F-0E2495D811EE.jpeg
929E1C39-D876-46A6-B92D-AD1F33449EB9.jpeg