A Body Rack and Pinion Converison

-
I'm pretty sure the AJE uses stock spindles, not positive. I think I looked at their components at the Nats a few years ago.

you can use custom / tubular control arms with stock spindles..... making a rack and pinion front steer assembly with them is the challenge.

I agree 100%, this is a little nightmare. The steering shaft that comes from the rack wants to occupy the same space as the motor mount (biscuit style) k frame. I don't want to re-invent the wheel I just can't put out the bread for a HDK or RMS K frame at the moment.
(saving for a home)

The spindles remain the same the lower ball joints are just reversed.

AJ

ok i been thinking here..
if the stock lower ball joints are used, in the proper location (r&l)
if you cut off the arms, could a fixture be made and put on in front?
like cut it off the back and weld it on the front.(i know the problem with welding cast)
the pivots never change.. will that work?
well?

if you are asking me....I could never get a front steer rack to economically function properly with stock spindles....it might bolt up, but it was pretty much physically impossible to get the rack placed correctly.

if you are asking me....I could never get a front steer rack to economically function properly with stock spindles....it might bolt up, but it was pretty much physically impossible to get the rack placed correctly.

This on is from Mancini's site. I called them. I guess they are modifying a Qa1 unit to Front Steer, using stock mopar spindles and some different Lower ball joints. Where do the lower ball joints come from is the question?? The sales person had no idea what part they were. Kind of messed up when they wear out and you need to replace them……

View attachment chucker54_2269_80905985.jpg

View attachment Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 11.10.23 AM.jpg

the spindle modification looks similar to what I did 20 years ago on my first set-up.

pro....uses stock spindle

con.....limited suspension travel, brake and wheel choice.

I had to use a 9" drum because the location of the outer tie rod limited brake choice.....no room for a disc of any decent diameter. if you move the tie rod pivot point outward for a larger disc, you decrease the turning radius. The tie rod placement is critical for ackerman and bump steer effect.

the heim or rod end limits suspension travel.....even utilizing the mis-aligned heim which give the rod end more movement over a standard rod end. I am a fan of the tie rod.....for travel, strength and grease-ability. (probably not even a word....but you get the idea)

that is my experience anyways.....maybe they have it figured out and I am just missing it (????)

My father in law has a brand new r&p for a ford van that measures 48" total width. Would this be a suitable option for putting a r&p in my 72 scamp? Thanks for any info

It is not the overall width that is the challenge....at least in my view.

not to say it couldn't be used in a one off build, but I think you would more than eat up the savings of a free rack in a custom fabricaton.

For me, at least to an extent, the custom fab part is more of a bonus. I love to do fab work and show people that this is something I built. My power steering gear box has a lot of play in it and needs replaced so that amount of cost would negate some of the fab cost. I have plenty of time to make up my mind on this project, but if it is legitimately possible to make this work I might consider looking further into this while the scamp is sitting in the garage not going anywhere. Thanks for the reply

-
Back