A Body Rack and Pinion Converison

-
My .02 on this. It looks like a good inexpensive set up. I was looking at a rack and pinion conversion for my old Dart but didn't want to spend 3K for one.
I did a R&P conv. on my old Anglia about 25 yrs. ago before I knew anything about ackermann angles and bump steer. Narrowed a Corvair front end 12" and used a narrowed Opel GT R&P that was narrowed the same. Swapped the spindles side to side to make it front steer. When you got on it the thing would bump steer about 3 inches. I ended up putting a limit chain on the control arms to limit the travel to only about an inch. When you turned it sharp it would leave black marks from sliding the front wheels. That all being said I've driven it for about 10,000 miles and still have the original tires on it. They don't show any abnormal wear on them. It drives great going down the road, just don't try to make any sharp turns. Would I do it now? Probably not, but I'm to old to start over on rebuilding it.
I've swapped straight axles from rear to front steer on a couple of my old street rods. Swapped the spindles side to side and heated the arms to get the ackermann back and they've worked without any problems so far.
Like the guy's were saying if you can strike an imaginary line between the upper and lower ball joints, that is where the pivot for the rack should be. You can shorten a rack by cutting the rack and housing or lengthen it by adding to the rack. They make adapters for Mustang II for this purpose. Check the rack you are using and see if it has internal or external threads where the pivot arms screw onto the rack. M II is external, the old Opel I used was internal. Had to cut it and then drill and tap it to fit the arms. This will shorten your turning circle in one direction tho.
There's alot to consider on doing a R&P conversion, but for the difference between $100.00 and $3K it would definitely be worth looking into.
Thanks for the info, looks like my old cheap arse will be making a trip to pull a part soon..

im currently working on with mounting a steering rack on my 70 Duster...will take some pics of how i have modified the car and post here....stay tuned!8)

Here's a helpful diagram for near zero bumpsteer.

zerobumpsteer.jpg

For those who don't "halft" to use a mopar rack, maybe a different suspension "modular clip" would work. Mustang II, RX 7 etc., are all front steer with correct geometry. Close on track width, same wheel bolt pattern, light, simple, economical and easy to up-grade. More room for hedders and rear sump pan. ateam:cheers:

Trying to put a pinto rack in my 62 Valiant,strictly a race car.Question,can I safely heat and bend my arms out about a 1/2 inch?Trying to do this as correct as possible the first time.Also read that after swapping spindels you should swap lower ball joints around???? Reading and asking questions BEFORE I get into this.ANY guiedence or advice welcome.Guzzi Mark

Trying to put a pinto rack in my 62 Valiant,strictly a race car.Question,can I safely heat and bend my arms out about a 1/2 inch?Trying to do this as correct as possible the first time.Also read that after swapping spindels you should swap lower ball joints around???? Reading and asking questions BEFORE I get into this.ANY guiedence or advice welcome.Guzzi Mark

Sure, it's best to shave your arms first. Dont overheat your elbows.
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
If you are refering to the limbs of the lower ball joints, that is cast iron. It doesn't heat and bend like steel.

Good one,,,the arms where the tie rods bolt on,I will be useing heim joints with a spacer but really need the arms out a little further from what I am reading.

I put a rack on my 74 dart race car mounted in front. Car drove fine . When I would back up it wanted to peel the tires off the wheels,toe in bad and pull the front of the car down. Tried a couple of differnety things but could never get it to work right.

Went rear rack,heated and bent the steering arms out 1.75.Useing a Toyota Corrolla rack.Did alot of research and in theroy i should get no bump steer.Will test and tune next week.Mark

I bought the arms from this site http://www.gofastmopars.net. He make the arms for a front mount rack that eliminates the bump steer as it fixes the issues. You don't need to flip the arms when doing this, plus they were not expensive.

blackace,
do you have process of install pics? I am thinking of doing the same conversion.

very interested in this topic and would like to know more, especially if its possible for the steering to work properly in reverse as I would like to try it

Any updates on this? I want to try it on my old Dart but have gotten sidetracked. My Wife died last year and have been helping a buddy of mine with his drag car. The Dart has been on the back burner but hope to have the 340 out of the machine shop in a couple weeks. May get it on the road if I live long enough..

-
Back