A Body Rack and Pinion Converison

-
Would the fact that the 1960-62 "A"-body unibody was narrower than the later models prevent you from using a Dakota steering rack?

I sure wish I could improve the steering on my Valiant. I'm using the slow-ratio manual steering box, stock A-arms, and disc brakes. Tire size is 205/55-15 in the front and 225/60-15 in the rear; rim size is 15" X 8". I had to use the smaller tire in front in order to get the suspension height down far enough to be able to adjust any caster into it at all, and I need more. The combination of the steering's vagueness, mainly due to the slow ratio of the manual box, and the lack of caster result in poor steering. I would be interested in hearing any suggestions about how I could improve my steering without spending a lot of money. Thanks!

Just a little more detail on how the rack is fastened to the K-member and I'll be happy :)

I missed this thread when it was originally posted glad i seen this time!
I was wondering what had to be done to put Rack&pinion on an a-body,might be a steering conversion on the Scamp this winter!

Have anymore pics. of of it?

the 73 k member is made for the sway bar to go through it.so i cut the center piece out of the bottom.did some grinding.the rack slid right in.made some mounts for the rack.cut a hole through the top for the steering.
reinsforced the k member where i cut the center divider out and there you go.i will try to get some pictures.the install was pretty self explanatory.just measure about 10 times and cut 1 time.i do not have any current pictures.but these show alittle of how it is mounted.

jeremys pictures 005.jpg

jeremys pictures 006.jpg

it does not bump steer any.i have had it up to 120 mph.also have driven it on the street. i am satisfied enough. if it were to be a daily cruiser i would have probably gone with alterkation kit.but for the money i am very satisfied with the job done.

what did you use for the mounts to the k-member and does it have the stock bushings in the mounts or solid

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear on my question what I meant was what did you put on the k-frame for the bolts to screw into. did you weld a nut to the k-member or just a hole for the bolt to go thru? do you have a good pic of this and also how does it drive? or is it still being built?

i used some flat 3/8 thick flat metal.about 2 in.wide.i installed this up into the k member.welded it to the bottom of the top of the k member and to the bottom side of the kmember.they have holes throught them and have a nut welded to the front of the k member for the mounting bolt to come through.i have been using the car for this summer will be three years. i believe?been a couple years for sure.i am glad i did it.i am building a 74 dart with a 730 hp big block right now.it is getting the same thing..the steering joint is off of a chevrolet vehicle.it is a collapsable intermediate steering shaft.i work for chevy and have a pile of these.

I too would like a better picture of the mouting to the K-member.
If you do still have a pile of those chevy shaft pieces I recon I want 2.
I haven't purchased a good used power steering rack yet. Still hunting lowest price locally. Plan on using the stock 67 model (#109 I think) pump too.

the first steering joint is factory chrysler.the second joint is the chevrolet joint.i have several and can get more.i will try to take some pictures this weekend for u guys.

Got me a power steering rack from a 97 Dakota. Bought it off ebay. It didn't include the mount bushings and bolts :(
If anyone has some or trips over them at a parts yard feel free to hook me up. Thanks

i went to a local store and bought some grade 8 bolts for my installation. I will inform my brother on the mount situation. He is a mechanic for dodge and maybe he will be doing a warranty rack or something of that nature. A new set may not be very high either. Not sure.. I will look through my stack for a steering shaft for u. I have about 7 more laying down at my dads farm in the shop..

i went to a local store and bought some grade 8 bolts for my installation. I will inform my brother on the mount situation. He is a mechanic for dodge and maybe he will be doing a warranty rack or something of that nature. A new set may not be very high either. Not sure.. I will look through my stack for a steering shaft for u. I have about 7 more laying down at my dads farm in the shop..
Thanks a lot man. I tell ya what, I've spent most of my economic stimulus check at ebay already and aint even recieved it yet LOL
Exactly what it was meant for though. Not a dime went to China.

to me it drives fine.the only thing i have noticed is it does not turn quite as tight of a radius.but still works ok.does not help with the spool in the rear.

Ive got a 2001 dakota v6 that is rotting away with a bad motor no trans would that rack work? it's power but i wouldnt mind converting back to power steering for rack steering :p

Ive got a 2001 dakota v6 that is rotting away with a bad motor no trans would that rack work? it's power but i wouldnt mind converting back to power steering for rack steering :p

The only difference would be the hoses and shielding them .
Pump pressure may be a factor too.
I have a 86 Dakota power rack to put in mine but haven't made any progress.
For you to do power r&p first and show me would be great. LOL

Im going big block 400 and thought this might be a good idea,due to the xtra clearance issues encoutered with a big block.

I have to agree that more detailed pics are needed before I would attempt this though. Some nice clear pics marked with the mods please!

Here's a pic of mine - yeh, right hand drive - but with the rack mounted on arms welded to the K member. The rack is positioned in the same position as the stock drag-link and maintains factory geometry. A Milodon "LoPro" oil pan fits perfectly, with it being notched in the area where the rack passes underneath.

Dont know why you guys over there don't try something like this...there's a lot more room on the left side of the car to fit headers around this kind of rack set-up (it poses a few tight problems on the right side, but doable). Someone over there offers a K member mounted kit for B or E bodies, from memory, so maybe they will eventually offer an A body version.

CIMG1328WEB.JPG

-
Back