A body Steering Boxes

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did all A bodies use the small sector shaft? If not, when was the change to the large shaft? Thanks.

Did all A bodies use the small sector shaft? If not, when was the change to the large shaft? Thanks.

All A-body manual boxes used the small sector shaft, no change was made. Actually goes for A, B, and E body manual boxes.

Trucks, vans, and some C-bodies came with a large sector manual box.

Looks like the tech page is back up over at BigBlockDart here Steering Box Info

But here's the relevant commentary from the BigBlockDart tech page...

All steering boxes will physically bolt to all K-frames. The physical length of the boxes only differ between manual and power, therefore, steering columns only have two lengths - one for manual and one for power. Although you'll probably get a new one, the coupler block between column and box is specific for manual or power.
The compatibility problems with different boxes largely boils down to output shaft, or sector shaft size. First, there are two sector sizes, simply known as large or small sector. The large sector, just above the splines as it exits the housing, measures 1.22". The small sector measures 1.11".
62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings. All manual boxes used a small sector shaft with the exception of C-bodies and vans to 1988. The big cars and vans used a large sector, presumably for added strength. It's also assumed these boxes used bearings instead of bushings.

manualboxes1-jpg-jpg.jpg

manualboxes2-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
All A-body manual boxes used the small sector shaft, no change was made. Actually goes for A, B, and E body manual boxes.

Trucks, vans, and some C-bodies came with a large sector manual box.

Looks like the tech page is back up over at BigBlockDart here Steering Box Info

But here's the relevant commentary from the BigBlockDart tech page...

View attachment 1716207084

View attachment 1716207085
Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess I should have been more clear, I'm sorry, that is on me. I was looking for information on power boxes.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess I should have been more clear, I'm sorry, that is on me. I was looking for information on power boxes.

Whoops, I could have sworn something in there said manual

The A body went to large sector in 1973, if I recall.

Or thereabouts. It’s covered in the BigBlockDart link, I just didn’t include it because I thought we were talking about manual steering.

1973 brought in a bunch of steering and suspension changes for Mopars… not all of them were good.
I read awhile back about the transverse torsion bar design for the FMJ body cars. The only advantage those offered for production was the room to place pre-catalytic converters right off of the manifolds, something impossible with a standard torsion bar setup. It also resulted in a weight increase and a shift of that weight forward. Not good for handling at all.

1973 brought in a bunch of steering and suspension changes for Mopars… not all of them were good.
I read awhile back about the transverse torsion bar design for the FMJ body cars. The only advantage those offered for production was the room to place pre-catalytic converters right off of the manifolds, something impossible with a standard torsion bar setup. It also resulted in a weight increase and a shift of that weight forward. Not good for handling at all.

And yet before widespread MII based conversions and Crown Vic swaps the Volare front suspension conversion was very popular among hot rodders, especially for classic trucks. There's entire books written about doing a Volare suspension swap on '56 Ford trucks.

Yeah… they did offer the convenience of a packaged suspension and steering “unit” to use in older vehicles with straight axle stuff. I have a buddy that had a 56 F100 with the Volare setup. He didn’t drive fast around corners. The independent suspension, power steering, brakes and 4.5 bolt circle were a big improvement over the stock Ford truck stuff. They still are.

Back in my day it was a mustang II swap in 53 - 56 Ford pickups

Recently I saw that Crown Vic front clips are an easy swap in.

Basically 4 tubes cut into the OEM frame in the right places and the entire clip bolts right in.

In the 90s I took a 70s LTD front clip and built a frame off of that for my 56 F100

'73 started the A,B, and E bodies using the C-body large sector shaft power steering gears.

Manual or power?

Just giving you crap because you like giving others crap that ask for information but they don’t give the details.

:lol:

IMG_7061.jpeg

Last edited:
From BigBlockDart

Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings.

So without starting a new thread, is there any advantage to using a B body manual box in an A body?

From BigBlockDart

Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings.

So without starting a new thread, is there any advantage to using a B body manual box in an A body?
I rebuilt my original 16:1 manual box 15 years or so back and I remember it having all bearings no bushings.

From BigBlockDart

Not that I'm aware of.

From BigBlockDart

The bearing version should provide smoother operation and less internal resistance from the box. But it would be a fairly minor effect.

ORIGINAL 16:1? Not trying to argue but what car originally came with that ratio?

It was a factory option on A-bodies from ~66 through to 1969.

AFAIK they all were that ratio.....15.9:1 IIRC.

Factory stock ratio was 24:1

There again, I'm talking about power boxes, not manual boxes! For 16:1 manual boxes, 72bluNblu is correct....A-body only from '66-9. They were all bearing type boxes too. Chrysler came out with a 20:1 gear set later on as an optional replacement for 16:1 or 24:1 ratios.

ORIGINAL 16:1? Not trying to argue but what car originally came with that ratio?
My car was special ordered by original owner as manual steering and when I bought it from him in '79 that was on the all stock all original car. So yes factory 16:1 manual steering box now sitting on garage floor cause swapped to PS.....

There again, I'm talking about power boxes, not manual boxes! For 16:1 manual boxes, 72bluNblu is correct....A-body only from '66-9. They were all bearing type boxes too. Chrysler came out with a 20:1 gear set later on as an optional replacement for 16:1 or 24:1 ratios.

Yeah but @BrianT and @340sFastback weren’t, they were talking about manual boxes

-
Back