A Body Torque Box

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do we have any torque box experts on the board. I know that torque boxes were installed on certain A bodies, GTS 340/383 etc. Were they installed front and rear?

no expert but ive seen them on standard shift (3&4 speed) 68-71 dusters & darts front & rear , never on an auto car though..

Do we have any torque box experts on the board. I know that torque boxes were installed on certain A bodies, GTS 340/383 etc. Were they installed front and rear?

The General Thought,

1967 thru 1969

All A-Body cars with the 383.
All A-Body cars with the 340 4-Speed.
All A-Body cars with the V-8 and convertible.
1969 440 Cuda and Dart GTS 440.

But that is not 100% completly true, as some other combinations
were found to have Torque-Boxes, and several 340 cars were not equipped with the frame unt.

It's all sometimes hit and miss, but generally speaking for '67-'69 this is it:
1) All converts front and rear no matter motor size.
2) No boxes on /6 or 318 hardtops/fastbacks, ect
3) 340 autos no boxes
4) 340 4speeds have front and rear
5) 383 auto always rear, occasionally fronts from what I hear?
6) 383 4speeds always rear, occasionally fronts from what I hear?
7) 440 only built with automatics, always rear, never heard of any with fronts.

I'm not sure why but I've seen more 340 4speeds with both and 383 cars with just rears? Why I don't know, you would think the 383's would have both?
I have 2 340 4spds with both, a 340 auto with none, 3 383 4spds with rear only, 2 440 autos with rear only. Some guys will say BB cars have both but you can't prove that by me or any cars I've seen!

Yes they are re-popped but nothing like originals from what I've seen.

1967 Barracuda 383 'Formula S', 4-Speed Convertible

Front Sub-Frame

mDgnyAaKAV_yD7tak1CKPdA.jpg

206658_39d8eabc83_low_res.jpg

Torque Boxes can be had at US Car Tool. You can use them in conjunction with frame connectors. Got big Horse Power/Big Torque and Slicks? They will help hold your A Body together and help keep body flex in check. US Car Tool also sells a Cowl to Front Subframe brace set as well as a brace between the frame rails directly below the radiator.

It's all sometimes hit and miss, but generally speaking for '67-'69 this is it:
1) All converts front and rear no matter motor size.
2) No boxes on /6 or 318 hardtops/fastbacks, ect
3) 340 autos no boxes
4) 340 4speeds have front and rear
5) 383 auto always rear, occasionally fronts from what I hear?
6) 383 4speeds always rear, occasionally fronts from what I hear?
7) 440 only built with automatics, always rear, never heard of any with fronts.

I'm not sure why but I've seen more 340 4speeds with both and 383 cars with just rears? Why I don't know, you would think the 383's would have both?
I have 2 340 4spds with both, a 340 auto with none, 3 383 4spds with rear only, 2 440 autos with rear only. Some guys will say BB cars have both but you can't prove that by me or any cars I've seen!

It seems to be the consencus that mistakes by the factory were made when it came to the A bodies. I've talked with several moparts/A body site members that has seen S/6's with torque boxes, boxes on the rear nad not the front and visa versa. Several years ago I had a 70 S/6 Swinger that had the tow package that had torque boxes.

Yesterday while unloading the GTS I bought I noted that there were boxes on the rear and not the front. no big deal, just thought it was odd. Of course over the years Ma Mopar has been know for doing some on odd things on the assembly line.
Yes they are re-popped but nothing like originals from what I've seen.

i have 69 383 gts one four speed and 1 auto both rear only,68 383s coupe auto rear only and 69 mcode fastback rear only and 69 383 auto gts conv with both.

I don't see the torque boxes on the yellow Dart. Where do they go? Maybe I should look into putting them on the fish. Nevermind, think I found them.

Yesterday while unloading the GTS I bought I noted that there were boxes on the rear and not the front. no big deal, just thought it was odd. Of course over the years Ma Mopar has been know for doing some on odd things on the assembly line.

As I said in my prior post, I own 5 '69 BB Bcudas, 3-383 4pds, and 2-440 automatics. All of them ONLY have the rear boxes. So your case isn't really odd to me at all.

If you are looking for accurate OEM appearing reproduction front and rear A-body torque boxes there is only one source: www.restorick.com

All others on the market (US Cartool, Autorust Tech, etc.) are not even close to OEM in appearance but work just fine if visual details don't matter to you.

-
Back