A body weight loss

-

Mopastor

Reaction score
Does anyone have a idea how much weight my 74 duster would lose by putting fiberglass on it? I'd like to go with the least amount of fiberglass so it may be nice to know what glass bumpers are worth, doors are worth, hood is worth, deck lid is worth or front clip is worth. I will probably start from the front and move back. I dont know if anyone has ever done these calculations individually.

I have an Big Block that I want to run an 8.50 class and I think i'll need to get the car somewhere near 2,500 lbs. to do that.

Thanks guys!

Here's a good article on taking weight off a Duster. I think the doors and bumpers etc are heavier on the later Dusters.
This is part two, I didn't find part one. Maybe someone else has it laying around.
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0310_weight_reduction/index.html

There is also weight to be saved with an Aluminum radiator, heads, waterpump and housing etc
Good luck :thumrigh:

Here's a good article on taking weight off a Duster. I think the doors and bumpers etc are heavier on the later Dusters.
This is part two, I didn't find part one. Maybe someone else has it laying around.
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0310_weight_reduction/index.html

There is also weight to be saved with an Aluminum radiator, heads, waterpump and housing etc
Good luck :thumrigh:

That link help alot..I wish i could find part one.. Sorry for the thread jack..

That link help alot..I wish i could find part one.. Sorry for the thread jack..
Me too. Remove undercoating, carpet, headliner, door panels, radio and speakers, heater and box, any sound deadener, lexan windows, switch to a mini starter, smaller Denso alternator (I think it's about 5 LBs lighter) Aluminum pulleys and brackets, Aluminum radiator, waterpump and housing, swap out fan to lightweight plastic one. remove all seats and seatbelts except the drivers.
I'm sure there is something lighter out there than that van seat they used.
I would find something else to use than the Magnumforce K member though..but that's just me.

You can also swap out your stock master cylinder for one of the newer aluminum light weight ones.
Also if you get fiberglass bumpers make /buy some aluminum bumper brackets. I thought someone was making them, but I can't remember who?
I think I read somewhere about lighter weight batteries?
Anyone have any other weight saving tips and tricks, without breaking out the hole saw LOL
A couple of pounds here, a couple pounds there, it all adds up.

Cut off any bolts that are longer than they need to be.

Thanks Pro Street Duster,

That chart found on the site was exactly what I was looking for!

heres another dandy to help your 1/4 mile times.....stretch your rear tire opening forward(instead of rearward/centered) when you open them for your big tires....just like the '73's pro stock guys did...only they got a little crazy about it...got caught too,almost made altereds out of them. Moving that axle forward will help traction/weight transfer nicely.

I think the BigBlockDart.com website also has a chart showing weight savings for fiberglass and other items, like manifolds.

Lightweight plastic headlights.
Billet/aluminum carburetor.
Switch to the 1970-72 Duster/Demon doors if staying with steel units. If you really want to stick with the correct 1973+ doors you'll have to cut out the crash beams out of them.

-
Back