A boy and his Station Wagon..

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well guys, though I would finally start a thread about my 66 Dart 270 Wagon that Ive slowly been working on. Since I will be in 20 years old in 8 days, I wont be a teenager anymore and figured that this is the last time I can consider myself a boy with a car, instead of a man. Anyway, I got the wagon in a trade from my friend Harold for my beloved 65 Dart Gt coupe with a knocking slant six a couple months ago, that was my first car and bought it with my first job when I was 15. Since the car started knocking, it was not really able to be driven daily if needed, the wagon, though rough on the outside, was a runner.

Here are pictures after I got her home and gave her a nice bath. Harold had the windows tinted (greatly improving the looks in my opinion) and put the centerlines on it.

Attachments

• mail.google.com2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,250
  • mail.google.com3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,250
  • mail.google.com5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,244
Once I found out how much having a flat black car in the valley of the sun sucked as a daily driver (being on average of 116 out side in the summer) was like literally being in an oven. Next, being a stock 225/ 904 combo, the lack of power got old really fast. Off the line is ok with that 4.125 stroke, but going to pass someone while driving can be ridiculous. So I decided on taking the easy way out with putting a small block in was in order.

Also included in the trade with Harold I got a 318 short block that he had put in his 66 Dart Gt conv, but the Isky cam was too large for a stock converter and he pulled the whole engine back out, built another 318 a year later and left this one on a stand in his kitchen (not kidding). The cam is long gone, he threw it in the trash right away, but the short block has .030 forged TRW flat tops, a steel crank, everything was very well ballenced by a reputable shop, lots of clean up in the lifter gallery, an early-a oil filter adapter and oil pan. Next I bought a set of 915 J heads that are freshly rebuilt and have springs good to 500 lift and a set of early-a exhaust manifolds for $100 (they had been blasted and coated with high temp paint. I scored a brand new crane cam and lifters in its original box on craigslist for $60, and bought a brand new Wieand Stealth intake manifold to put on top. I also got a set of cal-custom valve covers from damraider for $50 shipped. Then I bought the gasket set, summit double roller timing chain, standard volume oil pump, and 2 cans of Chrysler Industrial Red for it. I also scored a working, low mileage v8 904 and converter for $75 off craigslist.

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,217
  • IMAG0060.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,186
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,201
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,205
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,228
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,189
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,198
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,227
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,216
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,192
More pics

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2,212
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,192
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,176
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,204
I noticed that the drivers side exhaust manifold hit the head, so I got the 7 inch grinder out and went to work...:sign3:

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,218
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,224
The only thing I need to to bolt the engine in its new home now is a set of early mounts and a flexplate. Anyone have one for sale??

Nice lookin project.

Thanks! I'm just waiting on the stainless bolt kit for the motor to come in to bolt it all together, and then the cherry picker comes in to yank that /6 out.

I bolted the intake manifold down today, getting closer and closer to getting it fired up!

I'm going to have a dual exhaust made for it, and was wondering what you guys think I should run muffler and diameter of the pipe wise. I was thinking dual 2 1/2 with summit welded mufflers and turn downs out the back. What do you guys think?

Looks like your on your way to building a nice cruiser.You can checkout the early mounts from EngineSwaps.Maybe put up a wanted ad for the flexplate?What rear does the car have in it now?Good luck,gotta love the 66,s:burnout:

I don't see a point on spending $150 bucks on motor mounts.. A stock set will work just fine.. I posted a wanted ad a few days ago.

cool car good luck with the build
not going to have much compression with those heads though

Yeah, but it will be alright on 87 at least.

Just ordered the mufflers for the car at a total of $69, they are the Summit Racing SUM-638221, 2 1/4 welded, and I bought a set of original 1970 Challenger tips for the back. I'm going to notch the valence to tuck the tips up to the bumper a bit. Should look and sound cool!

Wow!! Looking good young man :cheers: Love these early a wagons :coffee2:
If you have the 7 1/4 rear end still in it I would cruise it easy and don't be doing burn out's till you can upgrade to a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4, Yes!! They put 7 1/4 in 318 2 barrel barracuda's but they will not hold up to abuse
Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute you get to spend with your cool wagon :cheers:

Thanks guys! The plan is to eventually go to a set of bbp disk breaks I have laying around with the big ball joints and polyurethane bushings, and going to an 8 1/4 rear.

Just found this thread. Looks like fun, and you think like me ( budget ) but for different reasons. I am old with kids, you are young and starting out.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Thats where you have the big advantage on me, with no kids or wife you have a lot more time than I do.

Alrighty guys, its been a longggg time but Its time for an update. The old slant six and 904 is out and the 318/904 is done and getting ready to go in. I just laid the primer on the engine bay today, soon it will have some color!

Attachments

• IMAG0163.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,818
  • IMAG0184.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,815
  • IMAG0185.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,814
Cool car, nice work! :D Glad todays kids are still getting into vintage Mopars :glasses7:

-
Back