A car followed me home

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently made a trip back home and dropped my car off with my Dad and borrowed one of his 3500 Rams and a trailer. The mission of getting my cars out of California is a daunting one and I don't have a truck and trailer of my own. I am moving my Mopars to my Dad's house in Oklahoma and preparing for a move to north Texas. When I get established there I will move my cars again. Main goal, get the f*%$ out of California!

My Dad and I have already done one of these swaps. I drove to Oklahoma and left my car and picked up his truck and trailer. I drove back and loaded the Duster and he came out in my car, stays a couple days and visits with the grandkids and drove the truck back.

This past week was the second such trip. I go the truck out to Cali and will be loading my 70 'cuda up. This trip I was fortunate enough to not have to deadhead with an empty trailer. My Dad sold his 1966 Impala SS 327 to a guy I know out here in San Diego. I got paid $600 for transport fees. Paid $498 for fuel and slept in the truck instead of getting a hotel (or else I would have been negative). At least my fuel was paid for.

Last time I gave my Dad $500 for fuel to get my Duster back to Oklahoma. I'll be giving him some money this time but partial payment is a 1972 360 block, J-heads, and a whole bunch of parts to put the 360 together. He will be swapping from a 440/727 to the 360 6 Pack/ 5 speed into his 70 'cuda. On the next trip for my Valiant or D100 I will be giving him my small block TKO 600 set up (bellhousing to driveshaft).

IMG-4502.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
You shouldda just come on to Georgia and bought this fresh 402 I have.

Oh man! This SS was a 327 originally but it's got a Tree Fitty now. Dad knows where another 66 SS is with a big block but it's rusting into the ground currently.

I know you're a younger man and its probably the right time to move
Ive heard San Diego is a beautiful place but if you dont have a good paying solid job plus all the other BS, id understand moving
If you really knew anything about the part of the country I live in, you'd realise that here is were the work was. You hustled, you made money, but now that's changing. The competition is brutal and I refuse to compete with a guy with a 110V Mig welder who cant use a torch and cuts everything with a waffer wheel and calls himself a welder
If I didnt have a good paying union job the last 45 years, plus some good customers all these years, id left a long time ago myself
I dont know what you do for a living, but I hope you have a good trade and have some work lined up
Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!

Illinois is right up there for biggest $#1t hole in the country

I dont know what you do for a living, but I hope you have a good trade and have some work lined up
Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!

The move is due to a transfer that I put in for. Actually a promotion too. I am a wildland firefighter for the US Forest Service. Federal job so it's pretty decent. If I wasn't 15 years away from retirement I would go to work for Fed Ex. My buddy says they can't hire the CDL Class A driver's they need and it pays 100k starting. I have a Class B because I drive the fire engine. Would be pretty easy to get an A. My Dad was an auto transporter hauling cars from GM plants to dealers and hauled freight for a few years before retirement. I know the trade and he was always paid really well.

I am not native to California. I got here because I went to school in Coronado to try to be a SEAL, but that didn't work out, and I did meet my wife and got married (3 dates before proposal). Been married 18 years. Got stationed in Gulf Coast Mississippi for 7 years and then back to San Diego. I got out of the service in San Diego and started doing the wildfire thing since 2012.

Just as a personal opinion, San Diego County and Ventura County, California has the best weather in the US. It's just untenable to live here. Taxes, gas, living costs, the education system, gun laws, .... The weather isn't making living under these conditions worth it anymore.

For my job, there just isn't anything more exciting than a SoCal wildfire. I love it. It'll be hard NOT going into work everyday in the summer and getting prepared for WWIII in the foothills and mountains of Southern California. The grass fires in Texas just won't be the same. However, I can build my ghost guns and finally get into the suppressor game. My kids can go to schools that aren't trying to brainwash them with ideology, and I'll be just 2.5 hours away from home. I grew up around horses and even done some ferrier training so it'll be great to afford a property where I can keep a horse.

Welcome to the midwest.

Remember, you're a refugee, not a missionary. Vote accordingly.

Watch out for big bad grass fires like they get in W Ok. and Ks. They are as you well know..deadly.
Just on RFD news yesterday, LA Co. Ca. has passed an ordanance prohibiting any rodeo, bull riding, or equstrian event in the county. Tell me there are not idiots in Ca.??
Good to have any Mopar guy make is way back East!! (Sorta East!!)

The sad part is that many states that were prime are now like 3rd world countries.
Out of control waste lands !
I avoid Seattle like a plague !
Unfortunately it is speading !

Welcome to the midwest.

Remember, you're a refugee, not a missionary. Vote accordingly.

I'm an Okie, Jack! Sooner born and Sooner bred. WHen I die I'll be a Sooner dead.

I am just a tourist here in California. Only thing California about me is my car tags. If you can't read into my post about building AR-15's and such and STILL can't figure out how I roll then bless your little heart.

Also, since when is Oklahoma and Texas considered Midwest? That term comes from when Nebraska was "West".

The move is due to a transfer that I put in for. Actually a promotion too. I am a wildland firefighter for the US Forest Service. Federal job so it's pretty decent. If I wasn't 15 years away from retirement I would go to work for Fed Ex. My buddy says they can't hire the CDL Class A driver's they need and it pays 100k starting. I have a Class B because I drive the fire engine. Would be pretty easy to get an A. My Dad was an auto transporter hauling cars from GM plants to dealers and hauled freight for a few years before retirement. I know the trade and he was always paid really well.

I am not native to California. I got here because I went to school in Coronado to try to be a SEAL, but that didn't work out, and I did meet my wife and got married (3 dates before proposal). Been married 18 years. Got stationed in Gulf Coast Mississippi for 7 years and then back to San Diego. I got out of the service in San Diego and started doing the wildfire thing since 2012.

Just as a personal opinion, San Diego County and Ventura County, California has the best weather in the US. It's just untenable to live here. Taxes, gas, living costs, the education system, gun laws, .... The weather isn't making living under these conditions worth it anymore.

For my job, there just isn't anything more exciting than a SoCal wildfire. I love it. It'll be hard NOT going into work everyday in the summer and getting prepared for WWIII in the foothills and mountains of Southern California. The grass fires in Texas just won't be the same. However, I can build my ghost guns and finally get into the suppressor game. My kids can go to schools that aren't trying to brainwash them with ideology, and I'll be just 2.5 hours away from home. I grew up around horses and even done some ferrier training so it'll be great to afford a property where I can keep a horse.
I wish you only the best and happiness and thank you for what you do in fighting fires
You would have made a great firefighter in one of the worlds biggest and best cities, which has the best and bravest firefighters. NYFD.
We dont brainwash children that go to public school here, in spite of anything you've been told
I dont know what a "ghost " gun is, or what the "suppressor game" means.
Trust me when I tell you 15 years away from retirement may seem like a long time but it goes really fast
I have heard CA. can be expensive and I can sympathise as its expensive here in the city surrounding areas. I hope it all works out well

I wish you only the best and happiness and thank you for what you do in fighting fires
You would have made a great firefighter in one of the worlds biggest and best cities, which has the best and bravest firefighters. NYFD.
We dont brainwash children that go to public school here, in spite of anything you've been told
I dont know what a "ghost " gun is, or what the "suppressor game" means.
Trust me when I tell you 15 years away from retirement may seem like a long time but it goes really fast
I have heard CA. can be expensive and I can sympathise as its expensive here in the city surrounding areas. I hope it all works out well

Ghost Gun = a firearm that a citizen manufactures on their own. Typically you don't have to register a firearm if you are the manufacturer. California and some other states have made unconstitutional laws to the contrary though.
The "suppressor game" comment was in reference to being able to buy a suppressor for a firearm. They are wonderful tools and I used them when I was in the military. Once you shoot with them you never want to shoot without them. Contrary to what some believe, they are not "silencers". You can still here them and owning one doesn't automatically turn you into a hitman or a sniper.

I have enormous respect for NYFD and OKCFD. When I was 14, growing up just outside of Oklahoma City, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols blew up the Federal building in OKC. I heard the boom. I watched the news for the next couple of days showing OKCFD digging through the rubble rescuing survivors.

Same with the event's on September 11, 2001. I watched the second tower get hit while watching the news. Watched the firefighters die in the collapsing buildings. As soon as I could get into a military uniform, I did. I had to wait until 2002 to ship to boot camp.

Growing up my neighbor was an OKC Firefighter. My aunt was the chief of our local volunteer department. I wanted to be a firefighter since I was a little guy but the terrorist attacks sidelined that for a few years. I spent 9 years in the US Navy serving with the Seabees and three different Naval Special Warfare commands.

I know 15 years is a drop in the bucket. I have a 16 year old daughter, LOL. Believe me, I know how fast 15 years can go. I have raised her right and she is smart, kind, obedient .... but, damn I wish I had a time machine and could hold her as a baby some more.

Call her up and be glad for what you got.

Uhh, she's 16. She still lives at home. :realcrazy:
Believe me, I'm thankful for everyday. I was deployed overseas when she was born and was not allowed leave to come home for her birth. Deployed for her first Christmas and Easter. Deployed for her 3rd birthday, and so on. I was in Iraq on her first day of kindergarten.
I know what I have had to miss and I'm always there when I can be, father daughter camping trips to Yosemite and diners at a sushi restaurant (her favorite).

Another one loaded up and ready to go!
I’m heading back to San Diego with this 1973 Duster that was a parts car for my 340 4-spd car. I had it at my Dads house in Oklahoma.
I enjoyed the 4 days I spent with my parents but I’ll be glad to get back to my little ones and wife.
If anyone is on the way from OKC to San Diego let me know and we’ll meet up.
64B14A13-49D3-44B2-AB2B-0A9B44D4C1D3.jpeg
F716E683-C5E9-471B-8FC1-82A6A61FE360.jpeg
DE03466A-E71F-451D-B002-F62DAE606E7C.jpeg
19ABB311-A4DD-41E4-8A08-C8B4D75249D7.jpeg
1DF44A96-6852-42B8-B551-A2AAE92CAF69.jpeg
970BED85-06A9-43AF-8ACC-A3712B763D00.jpeg
D117B192-02E9-457E-AE71-D16885148A84.jpeg

I spent 4 years at NAS Miramar before that place got so far left. 70-74.

Having a car follow you home can be pretty sweet, as long as it's not full of thugs with baseball bats

I recently made a trip back home and dropped my car off with my Dad and borrowed one of his 3500 Rams and a trailer. The mission of getting my cars out of California is a daunting one and I don't have a truck and trailer of my own. I am moving my Mopars to my Dad's house in Oklahoma and preparing for a move to north Texas. When I get established there I will move my cars again. Main goal, get the f*%$ out of California!

My Dad and I have already done one of these swaps. I drove to Oklahoma and left my car and picked up his truck and trailer. I drove back and loaded the Duster and he came out in my car, stays a couple days and visits with the grandkids and drove the truck back.

This past week was the second such trip. I go the truck out to Cali and will be loading my 70 'cuda up. This trip I was fortunate enough to not have to deadhead with an empty trailer. My Dad sold his 1966 Impala SS 327 to a guy I know out here in San Diego. I got paid $600 for transport fees. Paid $498 for fuel and slept in the truck instead of getting a hotel (or else I would have been negative). At least my fuel was paid for.

Last time I gave my Dad $500 for fuel to get my Duster back to Oklahoma. I'll be giving him some money this time but partial payment is a 1972 360 block, J-heads, and a whole bunch of parts to put the 360 together. He will be swapping from a 440/727 to the 360 6 Pack/ 5 speed into his 70 'cuda. On the next trip for my Valiant or D100 I will be giving him my small block TKO 600 set up (bellhousing to driveshaft).

View attachment 1715873961 View attachment 1715873962

Go Fish once you get settled in OKC ping me. I own and operate a Firearms Training Center in North West Ark by Fayetteville. Bring anything you want to pull a trigger on and by end of day I will have you shooting it better. Only fee will be a cold beer at end of day. I love teaching marksmanship. And obviously a Marine Coaching Navy is not uncommon! Hehehehe
PS you do know, what we call an Oklahoma sky diver in Arkansas don’t you? ……. Skeet!
Travel safe guy.

-
Back