A+ for dynamic converters

-

71swing

Reaction score
Just thought I should give you guys a full write-up review on the torque converter I purchased this winter.

Here are the threads started along the way:

Thread started while researching companys
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=16367

Thread started when converter arrived
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=17274

Thread started for trans cooler install
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=19026

Previously I was running a B&M 2400 stall 12”. It seemed fine at the time but when I stepped down to the 4:30 gears I now run. The stall was no longer present. It would grab at idle and would try to pull me through stoplights. This was also hurting my performance at the track since I couldn’t get any rpm’s upon take off.

Now, I have been burned on cheep converters in the past for my mustang. So badly burned that the mustang is now a 5spd manual. So I was a little intimidated on spending even more money on a new converter for the dart.

Did a little research and everything keep leading me to Frank Lupo @ dynamic converters. Frank & Shawn @ dynamic where both very helpful on selecting the right converter for my combo, and any problems I had during the install.

71 dart
340ci
Edelbrock aluminum RPM performer heads
Roller rockers
Air gap intake
650 demon carb
Mopar purple cam 284/284, lift .484/.484in.
4:30 rear gears

They recommended a street/strip 9-1/2 3800 stalled converter. On sale at the time for $595

I looked a many different threads on here about what fluid you guys run in your trannys. I ended going with B&M's Quick shift, claim to exceed type F reqiurements. The only problem I have with it is that it is a light blue color which makes it hard to see on the dip stick, and It is $5 a bottle.

Talk to Shawn yesterday, asking if I should give it some break in miles or what do they recommend. He said not needed, I could hop on it as soon as I left the drive. :laughing:HAHA:laughing:
So she went for a 30mile cruise with the occasional romp on it.

So far I’m very happy with the converter. It grabs as early as the B&M did on cruising but when I lay on the gas out of the whole it will flash to about 3600 rpm’s. Improving my acceleration, but also my traction problem in first gear. But that is what the slicks I purchased this winter are for. I do get little higher rpms on the highway cruise. Before I would get about 3000rpm @ 50mph. now I get 3500 @ 50 mph. A small price to pay for the overall better performance.

Overall I’m happy with what I got and hope it brings me good time @ the track this year.

Life lesson: You get what you pay for! :thumbup:

3 weeks & counting! I still have not received my converter from Dynamic, the one that was on special.

Yes, they do make there stuff to order. They don't have pre-fabed converters in stock like everyone else would.

Everyone's combo is different, and the same converter may not stall the same for your combo as it does for sombody elses. So they will make it to your spec.

It took about three weeks for mine to show. Hope you enjoy it when it does finally show up.

wait till you go out and really beat on the car... i love the way it works in my dart... mine also took a few weeks but like swing said, they are built to your combo...

Thats the reason I decided to go with them. most everyone seems to like 'em. I hope the wait will be worth it.

as long as you were totally honest about the combo and intended use you will be happy with it....

I'll also add if you order much of anything from late feb to may, it will be a wait. The racing season up north picks up, and everybody needs everything "NOW!!!" I find a lot of stuf on backorder or with longer waits in the late spring.

moper said:
I'll also add if you order much of anything from late feb to may, it will be a wait. The racing season up north picks up, and everybody needs everything "NOW!!!" I find a lot of stuf on backorder or with longer waits in the late spring.
Yea, I know your right. I just had to *****. Talked to Shawn this mornig, its on its way.

Yes, Tire combo is about 26.5" 18" rims with 245x40 tires.

car is for weekly show n go cruising, and the once in a while trip to the track to torment the ricers. It never sees the highway, and all we have here for a track is a 1/8th mile. That is the reason for the 4:30s.

I got my Dart Sport running last week when the convertor came in. I took it to the track this weekend, I was very pleased. It ran a best of 11:84 @ 111 MPH. 60FT. was a 1:57.

mikedevore said:
I got my Dart Sport running last week when the convertor came in. I took it to the track this weekend, I was very pleased. It ran a best of 11:84 @ 111 MPH. 60FT. was a 1:57.

great.. congrats man.

Hmmm. I'm running basically what you were running. 383, B&M 2400 and 4.88 gear. My only problem would be that we race on a hard tire in the 1/8th. I wonder how well that would work with a 3800 stall.

-
Back