a little help w/67 backup light wiring

-

steveh

Reaction score
67 cuda never had backup lights just pigtails hanging out the back. Tracing the circuit, I ran into a few problems and the following question

The dang steering column pin that activates the switch is missing

1) Any leads on where I can find a repop...NOS is $45
2) Anyway to fabricate a solution?

Next step
ran a continuity test on switch. mm gave a solid tone when in manually threw the switch about half way, if I throw it all the way I loose the tone/continuity.

3) Is the switch bad? if so...Same ol NOS sob story $75

With everything hooked up, key in run and a new bulb in one of the reverse light assemblies I get nothing when I throw the switch hal.

4) do the assemblies get their ground from the body?

thanks in advance
Steve

mine is a 4-spd uses the switch on the transmission for the reverse lights.

4) do the assemblies get their ground from the body?

Yes

I just looked at my 67 Dart column and it doesn't seem to be an easy project to get the pin out without completely disassembling the column. I would give you the piece if I could get it out easily.

I got my switch on ebay it was 50 I didnt hesitate because where do you find them, I dont no.

The pin continues to move with the shifter so the switcth makes the contact in the reverse position only. Before and after that position the switch should be open. Bottom line, your switch is good in the contact sense. Wear in it could have contributed to the pins breaking though.
If I was replacing that pin I would replace the switch too.
If you have installed a later model automatic trans you could forget all of that and simply route the 2 wires to the trans mounted switch.

Brian T...thanks for the offer...but a 45yr old part is a 45yr old part if ya know what I mean...would hate for you to spend the time pullin it apart only to have it break shortly thereafter. found one at brad's NOS and will just bite the bullet

thanks all

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Anyone ever replace their pin in the column? Any tips or tricks?

-
Back