A new head design (fantasy)

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
I had this all typed up in Pittsburghracers thread. But decided it was a little to far of topic.
It something that that popped into my mind and i when HMMmmmmm.

I’m good at derailing but being that TrickFlow cast their own heads and they are a different casting I wonder how much meat is left to work with. Slightly over 300 with a 2.02 valve and a 190cc runner. My set that flows 315-318 has a 2.08 valve and a 191 cc runner. Just thinking out loud here. Hmmmm.

I have kinda wondered if they would cast a new head or use the current casting with a different program ran through it for a more race type head. How big were the old Airwolf heads? 220? I have read they were underachievers. I would think if that guy could get that runner size without moving the rockers then Trickflow probably could but make them work.

I have been reading back threw all of these thread. and got to thinking............"Just a fantasy" but.................

There is just a limit for air flow without moving the PRP out of the way, which requires and offset rocker arm.
This would require a complete new head design. but.....

So, if you moved the pushrod over, the other way..........give it a second to sink in.....
If you pushed the push rod all the way into the port. For visualization let's say in the middle of the port. With a brass tube to seal the port.
now the short wall could be another long wall and the original long wall could be shifted slightly so that head bolt bulge wouldn't be there anymore.

Now i realize that it would eat up a lot more csa with a tube inside the port now but think of the area you could create at the waterfall. an area the air would...., could,.... should,.... flow much calmer.

I know it would cost way too much money to ever do.........but in fantasy land would it work.
what would be the reason why this wouldn't work.

I had this all typed up in Pittsburghracers thread. But decided it was a little to far of topic.

I have been reading back threw all of these thread. and got to thinking............"Just a fantasy" but.................

There is just a limit for air flow without moving the PRP out of the way, which requires and offset rocker arm.

So, if you moved the pushrod over, the other way..........give it a second to sink in.....
If you pushed the push rod all the way into the port. For visualization let's say in the middle of the port. With a brass tube to seal the port.
now the short wall could be another long wall and the original long wall could be shifted slightly so that head bolt bulge wouldn't be there anymore.

Now i realize that it would eat up a lot more csa with a tube inside the port now but think of the area you could create at the waterfall. an area the air would...., could,.... should,.... flow much calmer.

I know it would cost way too much money to ever do.........but in fantasy land would it work.

Push rod in the middle of the port: Ford 427 FE Tunnel port, Ford 289/302 Tunnel Port, Pontiac RAV.........where are they now?

I get it. The pushrod would be an obvious obstruction but at that point a guy could almost make the port any size he wants. When I read your post I thought of a raised runner oval port. Instead of a brass tube maybe put an 'airplane wing' in there. Far fetched but fun to dream up and talk about.

I wonder if speedmaster will ever do a w2 and offset rockers? That would be something. Aluminum w2s or a well casted w5 maybe.

And where do you put the head bolt holes?

Most of this stuff has been looked at. The best option is what the PST guys had. Or the Austrailian PS guys use.

All that other stuff is a pipe dream.

I get it. The pushrod would be an obvious obstruction but at that point a guy could almost make the port any size he wants. When I read your post I thought of a raised runner oval port. Instead of a brass tube maybe put an 'airplane wing' in there. Far fetched but fun to dream up and talk about.

I wonder if speedmaster will ever do a w2 and offset rockers? That would be something. Aluminum w2s or a well casted w5 maybe.

That would be a good deal if speedmaster did that.

I wonder how much more efficient a small block head would be if it was designed more like the Poly or Ford heads without the two center exhaust ports and the outboard intake ports butted together.

Sounds like a lot of work just to avoid offset rockers!

Exactly. The offset rocker gets a ton of hate, but I know Chevy guys who were doing everything they could to bolt a W2 head on a SBC. The Chevy people didn't care about the offset rocker, yet the Chrysler guys have been wetting themselves for decades over it.

I'll never understand it.

Now that we have a few more guys thinking about head flow think past the head. This may get you to understand shortside shaping. Let’s take a small block Mopar head and use it in our discussion. Where does the common wall side of an intake port dump into an engine cylinder. How about the pushrod side? Until you understand this it’s really hard to maximize head flow unless the guy teaching you showed you how. Most of us weren’t that lucky but it sure would have shortened my learning time and prevented a few sleepless nights. Like I told a few guys before I used to keep a pen and notepad by my bed at night for ideas that popped into my head while sleeping

Wasn't/isn't the Poly head born in 1955??
It was, the LA block is based off the A block, which is the poly. Its why we have the weird lifter and pushrod angles. A wedge style head was adapted to the poly block basically. A modernized canted valve (poly) head like the new hemi head could correct valve train geometry and make more power. Probably would cost to much though.

It was, the LA block is based off the A block, which is the poly. Its why we have the weird lifter and pushrod angles. A wedge style head was adapted to the poly block basically. A modernized canted valve (poly) head like the new hemi head could correct valve train geometry and make more power. Probably would cost to much though.
I like the looks of the poly chamber. (and heads for that matter)

View attachment 1715446247

318-chamber.jpeg

016-chrysler-poly-318-rocker-arms.jpg

Now that we have a few more guys thinking about head flow think past the head. This may get you to understand shortside shaping. Let’s take a small block Mopar head and use it in our discussion. Where does the common wall side of an intake port dump into an engine cylinder. How about the pushrod side? Until you understand this it’s really hard to maximize head flow unless the guy teaching you showed you how. Most of us weren’t that lucky but it sure would have shortened my learning time and prevented a few sleepless nights. Like I told a few guys before I used to keep a pen and notepad by my bed at night for ideas that popped into my head while sleeping

Ok, if there's going to be a test...I'm out!! LOL

And where do you put the head bolt holes?

Most of this stuff has been looked at. The best option is what the PST guys had. Or the Austrailian PS guys use.

All that other stuff is a pipe dream.

In my minds eye i thought you could still us a stock intake. drawing it out.....not so much.
new port.PNG
New port-1.PNG

I'm going to have to think about that for a minute.

How for off is the head bolt pattern on a A compared to a LA aka 66 and 67 motors
never been in to a poly block, didn't know it was a canted head.
The cams are cut different as well. (because of the port orientation)

Would the 66 head actually bolt on and seal on a 67?
What is the keliouse (sp) heal as to why you can't just bolt up a 66 on 67

Ford did exactly that with the 427 Tunnel Port engine. They put the pushrod tubes through the ports in the intake though and not the heads. Like this.

TUNNEL PORT.jpg

TUNNEL PORT1.jpg

Ah i'm starting to catch on. A is IEIEIE And the LA IS EIIEEIIE

-
Back