A note about Cherokee disc brake swaps

-
Yes it works on all Mopar rears, but on the 8.75 the caliper bracket must be modified because its to thick and the axles will not go back to the original pre-load position.
I believe the green axle bearings are OK with this swap, no issues.
Hey RF360, did u know someone names FELIX?
????????

A serious question of an actual person?

I believe the green axle bearings are OK with this swap, no issues.

????????

A serious question of an actual person?
Yes, had a very good friend yrs ago 2011 that had the same name RumbleFish on license plate. An also RamFever. We put a 360 in his 71 Dart. He passed away. RumbleFish brought back memories. I'm getting older.:eek:
Yep u can use the Green bearings, i have them on my disc brake swap. The stock bearing are way better. Timkin Brand.

Last edited:
066.JPG
Dang. Wish I knew that before I rebuilt the drums last fall. Seems like a cheap way to get into rear discs.
This is a rear disc brake set-up i put on my 1980 Ply Volar'e station wagon. It's a 8.75 rear from a 1970 B-Body. The calipers, pads and rotor are from a 03-07 Liberty. The caliper bracket is from a 1995 Grand Cherokee. The bracket must be modified to work on all 8.75 rears. The brackets are all the same on the Liberty, Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler. Liberty rotors, calipers and pads are much beefier. Any rear disc brake set-up is way better than drums from the 60's an 70's... 50 plus yrs ago.
Swap in 2012

Last edited:
039.JPG

This is the 95 Grand Cherokee Set-up [all from the junk yard] on
The A-Body 8.75 rear. On my 75 Scamp, the up-grade to the Liberty stuff is 100% bolt-on.
[I did not change my proportioning valve]
U will if your car came with drums up front.
All pix from 2012

Last edited:
014.JPG

Left: 07 Liberty stock from AutoZone.
Center: 95 Grand Cherokee from salvage yard.
Right: 07 Liberty drilled/slotted from amazon.
From 2012

Last edited:
OK cool. I was t sure if this was going in a weird direction or not, glad it was not. Hey did know two by the name Felix and both were properly fitted to there name. But those you mention, sorry, that’s a negligible ghost rider...

FWIW, the screen name is actually what I call my car.
It never drive smoothly. But, for $600, I’ll NEVER see an E body that cheap again. And so that fish rumbles as I drive it & Race it.

Yes, had a very good friend yrs ago 2011 that had the same name RumbleFish on license plate. An also RamFever. We put a 360 in his 71 Dart. He passed away. RumbleFish brought back memories. I'm getting older.:eek:
Yep u can use the Green bearings, i have them on my disc brake swap. The stock bearing are way better. Timkin Brand.

You would need to redrill your rotors for the 4" pattern, but the A body axles have a different offset than all the other 8 3/4s so not sure it will work in your case
They have rotors that have both patterns in one. I could always get those or is there a part number that would remedy this issue, i will be saving alot if this works. I have green Bearings on these axles already.

Last edited:
They have rotors that have both patterns in one. I could always get those or is there a part number that would remedy this issue, i will be saving alot if this works. I have green Bearings on these axles already.
I dont really know the answer to your question, but I would be more concerned about the axle offset, that's where your problem would be

I dont really know the answer to your question, but I would be more concerned about the axle offset, that's where your problem would be
Well thank you for the tip before i jump on the deal! So I can't get 4" Small Bolt Pattern Disc converstion? Not evene getting the rotors to get redrilled??? Im trying to read up on this but cant find much information.

Well thank you for the tip before i jump on the deal! So I can't get 4" Small Bolt Pattern Disc converstion? Not evene getting the rotors to get redrilled??? Im trying to read up on this but cant find much information.

What about using the A body after market 28 inch axle and having it drilled for a 4 inch pattern. That would give you the same axle spacing as a B or E body axle with a small bolt pattern.

What about using the A body after market 28 inch axle and having it drilled for a 4 inch pattern. That would give you the same axle spacing as a B or E body axle with a small bolt pattern.

I would but the a body axles I have currently are 30 spline and they already have the green bearings pressed on them, The axle housing is from an e body that was shortened to a body spec. Would the Dr. Diff rotors work with 07, liberty hardware? Seems the hiccup is the offset and rotors in 4" that size. From the readings i found, basically explaining Im Fubar. But i have also seen variants on ebay that got for 400$ ouchy. Just want to have rear disc, in future and will use stock rims and then size up to 15" rallee rims and still have 4" sbp. No possible? Really way down the line i was hoping for a Jeep/mopar ABS System.

Dorman part number 610-446.1 from Autozone.
They are 1.5 inches long and have the correct press shoulder size for the OE 8.25 axle flanges. (.662 at the serrated shoulder) and 1/2 x 20 thread.
One of our local group has a press and we used that to put them in.
They give me about 3/4 of an inch of threads for the lug nuts after the rotor and wheel are on.
Does this effect the back spacing of the axle for the rims? Also how did you get the calipers hose to work with oem brake lines?

I will measure when i get off work, how do you get the measurement flange to spline? Or sline to top of axle thread? Thank you so much.

Measure from the face where the brake drum sits the the end of the axle (30 spline end) face that is against the center pin.

Update, I have reached out to DodgeDifferent2 Forum Member, in hope to give buisness to a fellow A Body owner ,& Machinist. The key reason is from a quote I read from him, looking through the site.
"They come as a two piece unit so they can be adjusted for the A body axle flange or the regular flange. The one piece unit is not adjustable so it cannot be adapted.
As far as i knew Dr diff still uses the green bearings and it's two piece, but I stopped watching most brake threads."
Wish me luck. Still have to measure my A axles and will hopefully get that tonight.

Update, I have reached out to DodgeDifferent2 Forum Member, in hope to give buisness to a fellow A Body owner ,& Machinist. The key reason is from a quote I read from him, looking through the site.
"They come as a two piece unit so they can be adjusted for the A body axle flange or the regular flange. The one piece unit is not adjustable so it cannot be adapted.
As far as i knew Dr diff still uses the green bearings and it's two piece, but I stopped watching most brake threads."
Wish me luck. Still have to measure my A axles and will hopefully get that tonight.

Can you post the link to your quote.

Last edited:
-
Back