A question for the snowbirds

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I live in Southern Arizona, and we see many seasonal visitors during the cooler months from colder climates, AKA "snowbirds." We welcome them. They are wonderful people and an important part of our economy.

I've never been able to ask this question personally, so I'll post it here. In Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, is it customary to drive 10-15 miles per hour below the speed limit? Or do you do it here simply because you're unfamiliar with the landscape?

Serious question.

I live in Southern Arizona, and we see many seasonal visitors during the cooler months from colder climates, AKA "snowbirds." We welcome them. They are wonderful people and an important part of our economy.

I've never been able to ask this question personally, so I'll post it here. In Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, is it customary to drive 10-15 miles per hour below the speed limit? Or do you do it here simply because you're unfamiliar with the landscape?

Serious question.
You obviously haven't driven in Wis, IL, or Mich.

Seems I always drive differently in another state. Like I have to respect “their” laws more than the state I live in. Not sure why I do it. Maybe it’s so I don’t have to come back just to go to court.
:lol:

Tires migrating from the cold into the heat grow sticky, so contact of the newly sticky tires with the hot pavement creates drag.

You obviously haven't driven in Wis, IL, or Mich.
Unfortunately, you're right. I'd love to visit that part of the country. A good friend of mine is from Michigan and from all the stories he has, makes me want to move there.

Seems I always drive differently in another state. Like I have to respect “their” laws more than the state I live in. Not sure why I do it. Maybe it’s so I don’t have to come back just to go to court.
:lol:
I do that, too. I think for me it's because I'm trying to be respectful of the communities since you never know which ones the speed limits actually apply to.

But the drivers I'm referring to aren't all old, and they aren't just driving the speed limit or close to it. I'm talking 10-15MPH under with dozens of drivers stuck behind them. Often times they are impeding traffic. Is the speed limit lower on the interstates in the midwest? Ours is 75, and many out-of-staters go 60.

I know when I was in Sask, that a LOT of people from where I was owned property there as it was waaayyy cheaper (and warmer). I would think from a Canucks point of view that it was out of respect(or maybe fear lol)

Unfortunately, you're right. I'd love to visit that part of the country. A good friend of mine is from Michigan and from all the stories he has, makes me want to move there.

I do that, too. I think for me it's because I'm trying to be respectful of the communities since you never know which ones the speed limits actually apply to.

But the drivers I'm referring to aren't all old, and they aren't just driving the speed limit or close to it. I'm talking 10-15MPH under with dozens of drivers stuck behind them. Often times they are impeding traffic. Is the speed limit lower on the interstates in the midwest? Ours is 75, and many out-of-staters go 60.
Trust me, it's just the sight-seeing folks that are just relaxing and enjoying the change of scenery. Seems here 55 means 70.

Truth be known (Canadians that is) Our speedos are in Kilometers, so when your sign says 55, that's how fast they drive (32 MPH to you guys). If they are doing 45 MPH (speedo reading 70kmh) they think they are speeding.

In Michigan the cops have a saying. Nine your fine, 10 your mine. Seems about right according to the cars that get pulled over.

Trust me, it's just the sight-seeing folks that are just relaxing and enjoying the change of scenery. Seems here 55 means 70.
I think you might be right.

And don't get me wrong, I love our winter visitors. Always have. I've just always wondered at why they drive so much slower than the rest of traffic.

In Michigan the cops have a saying. Nine your fine, 10 your mine. Seems about right according to the cars that get pulled over.
I'm not implying they should be speeding. Heck, I'm usually right around the limit if not a tad under. But I make sure I'm not impeding and try to go with the flow of traffic.

Here the first snow or 2 weeds out the darwin award nominees. Back on topic, I usually drive conservative out of state til I get familiar but 15 under is a danger.

I think you might be right.

And don't get me wrong, I love our winter visitors. Always have. I've just always wondered at why they drive so much slower than the rest of traffic.
I fully realize you posted it as a serious question but seriously, I laughed till I had tears in my eyes. Jodi (wife) gave the WTF look as I literally laughed out loud. Sorry, carry on!

42fcc2e2bb1c394cc91659b0caa75dff254f2be4676fd4896a380a3aba8b57df_1.webp

snowbird+fingers.jpg

Around here we always say that snowbirds are very much like hemorrhoids......................once they come down it's hard to get them to go back up!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here the first snow or 2 weeds out the darwin award nominees. Back on topic, I usually drive conservative out of state til I get familiar but 15 under is a danger.
it drives me crazy how people seem to forget how to drive in the snow
we got 6,7 months of lousy sledding and then in october, november we get 2 inches of snow and all of a sudden people are in ditches again

what really bugs me is i got to drive the wifes new car yesterday...retired michigan state police car, 5.7 hemi, awd, winter tires...that thing scoots
but i kept getting stuck behind slowpokes

T
we got 6,7 months of lousy sledding and then in october, november we get 2 inches of snow and all of a sudden people are in ditches again

what really bugs me is i got to drive the wifes new car yesterday...retired michigan state police car, 5.7 hemi, awd, winter tires...that thing scoots
I assume that those slowpokes are the ones trying to stay out of the ditches.

Most of our speed limits are 100 kilometres per hour. That’s 62.8 miles per hour. But I can tell u the older I get the faster I drive. Depending on the road it’s 20-60 Kilometres over. Kim

The Arizona equivalent to snow is rain. People here absolutely cannot drive when there’s the slightest bit of moisture to on the road.

what if i told you...you can do more then 20 AND stay out of the ditch ?
Maybe you can, but everyone should drive where they feel comfortable based on conditions. If there is a min speed sign posted, then yes, stay off that road. My advice to new drivers in my family is to not let another driver push you to do anything in traffic.

-
Back