A quiet compressor?

-
I would recommend that you somehow switch from an oil-less unit to a lubricated piston model. Those tiny little pistons gotta scream to move any air. The belt driven units aren't exactly quiet either but are much better than an oilless. As suggested a used model could be a good option for a belt driven, lubricated model. A friend just got a 60 gallon 240V Husky two stage off Craigslist for $300. It has a quite a bit of paint overspray on it but otherwise looks to be in excellent shape. Deals are out there.....

I did a frame off restoration on a Chevelle with a small Husky compressor including using a glass bead cabinet so you can make a small compressor work but there is a trade off and it's really about time management....

However put a small amount of cash (few hundy maybe) and watch your local area for industrial auctions such as a manufacturer closing. I have hussled a bunch out of these places and somewhere in the depths of the plant there will be a lonely smaller compressor (big to you) that you can rob the cradle for. Seen it time and time again. Buyers of equipment and such walk right by those things as they don't meet the needs of the equipment and a deal of a lifetime can be had....

JW

There are a few common RPM ranges for electric motors of compressor size

IIRC one really common one is 2850

those make for a lour compressor

IIRC another common one is 1750

Those are much less common but much quieter

Put compressor in an insulated box,draw air from outside. Open box for continous use.
Air intake is 1/2 your noise.
Plus it gets cooler, fresh air.
Can ventilate box to control heat, but water is an issue regardless whether its in a cabinet or not.

OP might want to look at the Eastman Scroll compressor. It is very quiet - about the same volume level of a window air conditioner - and it does not run continuously as with some types of rotary/industrial compressors. It's not inexpensive, but it is in the price range of leading 60 - 80 gal. 220V compressors, and provides similar performance in terms of real-world CFM output. It is also rated for continuous duty, which is a real plus - no need to stop your work and give the compressor a chance to catch up or cool down.

I opted for it because I have limited garage space, and live in an urban environment where placing a compressor outside my garage - even in an enclosure - would attract unwanted attention. I've had it for three months, and I am very happy with it so far.

Eastwood Elite QST-30/60 Scroll Portable Air Compressor

OP might want to look at the Eastman Scroll compressor. It is very quiet - about the same volume level of a window air conditioner - and it does not run continuously as with some types of rotary/industrial compressors. It's not inexpensive, but it is in the price range of leading 60 - 80 gal. 220V compressors, and provides similar performance in terms of real-world CFM output. It is also rated for continuous duty, which is a real plus - no need to stop your work and give the compressor a chance to catch up or cool down.

I opted for it because I have limited garage space, and live in an urban environment where placing a compressor outside my garage - even in an enclosure - would attract unwanted attention. I've had it for three months, and I am very happy with it so far.

Eastwood Elite QST-30/60 Scroll Portable Air Compressor
Nice! And like you mentioned, priced in line with a good 5/80 piston compressor.

That eastwood compressor may be quiet but the cfm is rather low. They used the old trick at showing cfm @ 90psi. 12.7@90 is not very good. It would not be good for sandblasting or air hungry DA sanders.
In the end it all boils down to budget and what kind of work your doing with it.
When it comes to noise, the 1725 motor is what you want. Avoid oil-less compressors at all costs, they are the noisiest of them all.

That eastwood compressor may be quiet but the cfm is rather low. They used the old trick at showing cfm @ 90psi. 12.7@90 is not very good. It would not be good for sandblasting or air hungry DA sanders.

There's no trick. Most manufacturers rate @ 90 PSI. Quincy is just one example. The Eastwood's 12.7 CFM is down a bit from a 60/80 Quincy, Ingersoll, etc., but there are always trade offs involved when someone is looking for something smaller, quieter, etc. I can talk on the phone, listen to music, have a normal conversation, etc. standing right next to my compressor. That was worth giving up a few CFM to me, and it's what the OP was asking for. And I have no problems running my Hutchins 4560 DA, sandblasting cabinet, etc.

quincy.JPG

-
Back