A shocking development +

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Was out for a cruise Saturday night and I started hearing this creaking sound. I was like what the heck is that, pulled over looked under the back and saw that one of my rear shocks had broken clean off. Never encountered that before but remarkably when you look at the car from the back it didn't change the stance a sniff. These were some air shocks the previous owner had installed I believe Gabriels. Soooooooooo, looks like some new shocks just rose to the top of the priority list, any recommendations? Car is a 65 Cuda, stock leafs, 400 hp,4 speed and essentially a street ride that I would like to hook when needed as well as corner. Rear end and wheel upgrade soon to come and not sure if the taller wheel and tire combo (13's still) will require a longer shock. Thinking about Monroe gasmatics but have no allegiance to any company, don't mind paying more if I get more bang for my buck, but don't want to throw money away needlessly when all I really need is a $30 shock.

Attachments

• 2014-07-14 11.30.13.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 429
Monroes or KYBs will work just fine.
Wheel size will make no difference.

Throw those air shocks in the lagoon.

I drove my barracuda over the weekend and kept wondering why it was so weird handling... stupid me forgot I didn't install my rear shocks yet! Woops...

Good the shock broke and not the mounting stud off the spring holder. It might have sacrificed itself to save your car, or could have been just cheap.

Happened to me too on a brand new pair first time out with 50 psi. Took them back and got SS springs. And reg shocks.

I was surprised at how limited the choices are for shocks for my '66 Cuda (stock suspension). I settled on Gabriel Guardian gas units for the rear (and Gabriel Classic for the front); haven't fitted them yet, but at around $20 each they seem to be a good combination of quality and price.

I would go with a set of Bilsteins

Thanks
James

I would too, but he said in his thread he is basically looking for a $30 shock. $100 a shock (while well worth it) is a bit more.

After a lot of researching I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Bilsteins for my 65'.
PST and Firm Feel both sell em, for all four corners it's $410 @ pst and $400 at firm feel buttttt free shipping and a 10% discount for FABO members makes pst the place to buy. Talked to firm feel yesterday and they couldn't match pst, ironically firm feels site actually goes into more detail on the digressive valving that seperate these shocks from the rest of the pack essentially eliminating the need for an adjustable shock or at least that's the way I interpret it but what the hell do I know (ha ha !). Will provide feedback after I get em on the car and raise a little hell to try em out.

http://www.firmfeel.com/shocks.htm

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6374/.f?sc=12

Air shocks always were a band aid fix, after you bought something that would not fit. Still have a decent pair sitting on a shelf, at least till I Ebay them.

Learned long ago to do spring work and regular type shocks and the ride will always work out. Now might have to do the spring work more then once, but the costs were low.

Air shocks always were a band aid fix, after you bought something that would not fit. Still have a decent pair sitting on a shelf, at least till I Ebay them.

Learned long ago to do spring work and regular type shocks and the ride will always work out. Now might have to do the spring work more then once, but the costs were low.

spring work!!! I found some sbp reverve chrome wheels, trying to use on 65 cuda. I can see it could rub inside of outer wheel well. (hate air shocks). wonder what I would need spring wise to keep from having a problem???
I like the looks of that fater wheel as I always thought the early cuda needed that look....
bilstein shocks $400 for set! wow! course auto zone had jug of pennsoil on slae for like $23 other day! LOL so maybe the shocks are a good buy!!!

-
Back