A torque converter, flex plate question, and install question..

-

grassy

Reaction score
Yet another question from me.

When I bought the '75 duster, i also bought some some parts.

One was a new torque converter that is filled with trans oil. I think. Some has leaked out. I have read on this forum that the best trans oil for the 727 comes from Wall mart. Does that also go for the torque converter. My gut feeling is to empty what is in the unit and refill.

Do I bolt the flex plate on to the torque converter ?

I don't have any special tools ..can I just slide the torque converter on to the trans shaft followed by the flex plate and just mate it to the engine.

Should I fill the trans with oi before I install ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
Ian.

I've never had a new converter come with oil, but if you fell better, dump it and put your oil. People say about one quart. I just fill it till it seems enough, then install on trans shaft. Spinning left and right as you install may help seat it. You must be sure it is seated all the way. Bolt the flex plate to the back of the engine first. Then lift the trans back up to mate it with the transmission and carefully position it. Use some kind of jack or bare strength, but be careful. Follow proper torque specs for the bolts on the flex plate and converter. Make sure you dont have too much clearance between the converter and flexplate. minimun 1/8" and max 3/16". Also, use some locktite on the bolts. Medium or high strength will be fine. Hope that makes sense. :burnout:

Transmission fluid is used in the transmission and torque converter...the torque converter gets its transmission fluid from the transmission.

If you are installing a new converter...you can pour some fluid into it before installing...if you dont it wont matter...the pump in the transmission will fill the converter once the engine is started...

First ya gotta bolt the flexplate to the engine. install the torque converter onto the trans by turning clockwise, it should seat one time, then turn the torque converter counter clockwise, it should seat a 2nd time. then install trans onto engine, get the torque converter to flex plate bolts one at a time from underneath, rotating the engine for each bolt.

walmart fluid, or any kind is just fine. atf-4 youll be just fine. if ya wanna feel warm n fuzzy, ya can use chrysler/mopr atf available at the dealership.

I would add to line up the holes on the flexplate/converter first and mark one hole position with some white spray paint on the flexplate AND the converter. Once the trans is mounted up it will make it a whole lot easier to line it up and bolt it.

Most important thing is to put the converter in the trans and make absolutely sure it's in far enough. When the trans is initially bolted to the engine, the converter should NOT press against the flex plate. You should have to move it forward against the flex, and you should be able to freely turn the converter before it's bolted to the flex

The (most? some? all?) flex and converter are marked, but if you don't see that, be sure that you DO mark them, so that you can line them up. Pre--magnum flexes only align one way

wwitqw.jpg

as said..make sure the converter is seated on the pump ...if not the converter will not engage the pump and the trans will have to come out again...

the converter should drop like twice onto the splines...and once the converter is seated in the pump ...if you move the converter back n forth you should hear a clak..clak noise...that will be the slots on the converter hitting the pump gear....

I have the same flexplate so it looks like it is a go except I don't have the bolts for the flexplate to converter in my pile of bolts...any idea what size...my tc is a MOPAR.

How do you get your hands between the engine and trans if they are mated and do I need to torque them or do I use a lock washer ? I intend to "blue" all the nuts.

ian.

How do you get your hands between the engine and trans if they are mated and do I need to torque them or do I use a lock washer ? I intend to "blue" all the nuts.

ian.

If you put your "mark" as I suggested above on the bottom you can get one bolt in through the dust shield area. Then rotate the engine to get the next and so forth and so on.

Ok...2 person job with an engine hoist. Looking forward to doing this.

Any idea of the bolt length or size ? It would be course thread, correct ?

ian.

-
Back