A Truth about snap- on dealers

-
where did you find a snap on dealer who doesn't charge you sales tax?

funny, that is not the way I pictured Ranis hands at all

funny, that is not the way I pictured Ranis hands at all

come on .....its just an internet meme......not my hand or tools .....its just a joke pic.

couldn't be me anyway because craftsman is my brand through and through and partly because the sears dealer don't gouge you into bankruptcy. #-o

A while back I bought a tool box with some assorted tools for 50 bucks. After getting them home, I decided to price out the wrenches. To my astonishment, these wrenches were waaaayyy beyond believable in price.

Here's the box and some of the tools.

View attachment Box.jpg

These three sets of wrenches priced out at 900 plus dollars, just shy of 1000 bucks.

View attachment wrench.jpg

I have a Snap On metric deep well impact set. Goes from 10-36mm. Cost 1200 bucks.....about 25 years ago. I have used the everlovin snot outta them. Beat on them, heated them, abused the total crap outta them. Never broken one. Never had to replace one. I have used them incorrectly on SAE sizes for years. They either fit too loose or too tight, but they work. Not one of them is worn out. Some of the ones I use the most show some wear, but not a lot. Snap On's motto used to be "There really is a difference" and it's true. The quality is second to none.

All that said, now that I no longer do it for a living, I do buy cheaper alternatives. But I don't regret any of my Snap On purchases. Not one. The guy I have done business with almost thirty years, lives in the same county as I do. He will come by the house if I need anything. All I have to do is call. You cannot beat service like that.

Just wait until you bust your knuckles or damage the hardware / car you are working on. There have been many a time that I can only get certain parts loose with SNAP-ON tools (especially screws). I work in aerospace and we only buy Snap-on as we have several self locking 5/16" and up, fasteners that kill other box store tools with a life time warrenty. I agree they are a pricey tool to buy for occasional use, but they are good quality, warrenty & customer service. Andrew

What you wanna do with rusty old bolt/nut??? round off the head or remove it? Snap-On has it's place in my box and I own lots of different brands. Snap-on's flank-drive system just... works!. I also love their fine toothed ratchets. Spendy, yes. But as said above, I have never regretted having them in my arsenal when others fail. There IS a difference.

But Rani, I get your meme and it is funny too! Many times I have stepped off a tool truck and said "OUCH!"

The core of my tools is Challenger/Proto......I've never had a problem in over 35 years. The only problem is that Ingersol-Rand got out of the tool business years ago......

I'm mostly a craftsman or occasionally Harbor Freight but have bought some Snap-Ons. Expensive yes but great stuff! I never felt that I was cheated.

Most all my tools are, or have been my favorite brand....freebie!! I have snap-on, S-K, Proto, Craftsman, Mac and a variety of others! Any of them will do the job just fine, but my favorite are the tools specially altered for their intended purpose! I'm not a tool snob, ill use anything that works!! Geof

I stepped off a Snap On truck one time and slung my ratchet as far as I could throw it. The guy wouldn't fix it or replace it, boy was I pizzed.

You should have gotten in touch with your local district rep and reported him. They do NOT like lousy customer service.

I have a Snap On metric deep well impact set. Goes from 10-36mm. Cost 1200 bucks.....about 25 years ago. I have used the everlovin snot outta them. Beat on them, heated them, abused the total crap outta them. Never broken one. Never had to replace one. I have used them incorrectly on SAE sizes for years. They either fit too loose or too tight, but they work. Not one of them is worn out. Some of the ones I use the most show some wear, but not a lot. Snap On's motto used to be "There really is a difference" and it's true. The quality is second to none.

All that said, now that I no longer do it for a living, I do buy cheaper alternatives. But I don't regret and of my Snap On purchases. Not one. The guy I have done business with almost thirty years, lives in the same county as I do. He will come by the house if I need anything. All I have to do is call. You cannot beat service like that.

Something I really do know something about Rusty, You get what you pay for!
toolmanmike

You know about a crapload, Mike. Probably more than anyone here about the little 273 cars.

I have snap on flex head ratchets. I have had them since i was 18, i am 46 now. My 1/4" flexhead has been rebuilt twice, but thats part of the warranty. I havw used my 3/8" flex head one with a 3 foot cheater pipe and used an impact socket to loosen lug nuts. never broke it. Thats ratchet torture.

I have snap on metric, and SAE line wrenches, and never have stripped a brake line fitting, or fuel line fitting. I have even put them on stripped fittings that other brands of wrenches have rounded , and was able to get the fittings loose. Flank drive baby all the way.

Ditto loosening stuck brake bleeders. I have snap on 6 point deep sockets in 1/4" that work great for this.

This isnt to say other brands are not good, on the contrary, i have some matco, S&K, stanley proto, crapsman, china freight. I have a pretty large collection of tools at the house, and at work as an aircraft mechanic.

I will say that the matco screwdrivers i think are the best in the business. I have never failed to remove phillips screws with these. The crapsman ones may have a warranty, but i have stripped and returned more crapsman phillips than i can remember.

I use what works for me, and dont bother with what doesnt. The reality is there are some wrenches and sockets you just cant buy from the big box stores. Have you ever needed a 1/8" socket, or 1/8" ignition wrench? Not gonna find em at sears.

These sized fasteners are all over aircraft electrical systems holding **** together. Sometimes ya gotta pay the man who has what you need.

Matt

Up here in the great white north we have a store called Canadian Tire. Their Mastercraft tools all have a lifetime warranty. The best part is that quite often their tools go on sale for insanely low prices. My garage has a LOT of their tools and I have NEVER had a problem with warranty on any tool I returned. My father in law has a set of 1/2 inch Snap On sockets that are REALLY old. He will not part with them, but does not use them as he finds them to big.

I have a number of different tool brands in my boxes. This mainly because of my tenure in the Auto Supply Business. We probably switched tool vendors 5 or 6 times over 30 yrs. I have a mix of S-K tool, Gearwrench, Bonny-Utica, Blackhawk. A few Craftsman. Some Snap On my son got while working at the Benz Dealer. I even still have some Penncraft ratchets and sockets from JC Penny, My parents gave me for Christmas over 40 years ago !!

the tools are the best, but some things like a hammer or screwdriver doesn't need to be Snap-on. Line wrenches, yes. At the end of my automotive career, I was going to Harbor freight for things that I could get away with using from there. Snap-On guys live a better lifestyle than the mechanics they serve. I have been to one of my dealers houses. These guys make 6 figures easy. that is why the tools cost so much. One of my dealers things was selling used tool boxes, if you wanted a new one, you could get it but he really pushed the used ones on people. I call these guys the vultures of the auto trade. The kids fall for it, but like I always say, the best tools don't make you a good mechanic, and you should be able to shoot poll with a house stick, and you should be able to play a gig with a Squier Strat you know?

The first guitar I bought new was a Squire strat.

Wish I had it back.

1984- last year the only difference was MIJ.

In 85 the tooling changed for Squires :( and they got a lot cheaper.

Never a problem with the hand tools I've bought from snap-on, and they have a few things others don't offer such as thin walled and 3/4 length deep sockets, but I got away from them when I was negotiating a top box and my dealer wouldn't warranty a few slides on my lower box. Matco dealer took it on trade and I got a new top and bottom for about the same as what Snap-on wanted for the top and he reported back that the subsequent owner got the slides warrantied through a different dealer. My biggest problem with Snap-on is the dealers that think they're the only game in town. He quit talking to me when he saw a 6' tall 9' long Matco wall unit in my stall.

I had the same problem with a Matco dealer on a clip spade tool. He asked how I broke it. I told him that I ran it over. He told me that he would not replace it. I told him that I would have it replaced for free, by law, regardless. I went into my toolbox and got their unconditional warranty replacement mission statement out and he still would not give me a replacement.

When he came back the next week, I had a new one and he threw a fit and told me that he was going to inform his regional manager that I should have to pay. I don't know what the deal was with him, but it killed tool trucks for me.

I'd say about 1/3 of the tools in my box are home made. I've broken a few Craftsman sockets here and there, worn out pliers, etc., never had one problem getting one of the tools replaced, no questions asked, through Sears, Ace, K-Mart, etc. I've found shattered screwdrivers on the sidewalk, bent wrenches on purpose for clearance and turned them in... Call me crooked, but if you offer an unconditional warranty on a hand tool, people will take you up on it.

My new favorite place to shop is Darn Tough socks. lifetime, unconditional warranty on every pair. One hole, you send it in with its match, they replace the pair, no questions.

-
Back