A Truth about snap- on dealers

-
http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

They are not as cheap as wal-mart, but if you outfit your drawer with enough pairs to suit your entire sock needs, you will never buy another pair ever again, to replace damaged and worn out ones. And they are made in the US.

I wear Red Wing US made boots, because everything else gets obliterated, working on trains and cars. I can't find quality size 16 work shoes anywhere else. They cost me $240, but they have held up for a year and a half. I'm about due for a re-sole, which will run me about $65-70. Worth the investment, though.

Snap On is expensive, usually back their warranties (jmo). When I wrenched 20 years ago, usually Craftsman & Mac tools. ( had great luck with older Proto / Cornwell / S-K, even Napa/K-D tools. On generic hobby wrenching, the cheaper stuff is O.K.. Specialty/ H.D tasks, is where the expensive good tools make you money ( & pay for themselves....) Thanks Toolman Mike, timing light still works great !!!!!

Snap On is expensive, usually back their warranties (jmo). When I wrenched 20 years ago, usually Craftsman & Mac tools. ( had great luck with older Proto / Cornwell / S-K, even Napa/K-D tools. On generic hobby wrenching, the cheaper stuff is O.K.. Specialty/ H.D tasks, is where the expensive good tools make you money ( & pay for themselves....) Thanks Toolman Mike, timing light still works great !!!!!

Good to hear! tmm

Local Snap-On man here even carries "Vasoline" for those costly purchases! Me,about 99% of all I have are Craftsman tools. Never had a problem if one broke even on a questionable ratchet

They are not as cheap as wal-mart, but if you outfit your drawer with enough pairs to suit your entire sock needs, you will never buy another pair ever again, to replace damaged and worn out ones. And they are made in the US.

I wear Red Wing US made boots, because everything else gets obliterated, working on trains and cars. I can't find quality size 16 work shoes anywhere else. They cost me $240, but they have held up for a year and a half. I'm about due for a re-sole, which will run me about $65-70. Worth the investment, though.

I know it's off topic. I just had my Red Wing 218's resoled($75, he dyed them, polished , new laces), they're about three y/o, worth every penny. Most don't realize the difference in fatigue and pain over the course of a day when you have a boot made that's quality and fits properly. I paid the extra for them to do the measurements and make me a boot (close to 3 c-notes). When the leather gives out I'll get another pair. I feel am still ahead of the game opposed to the $130 china boots I was wearing out in under a year

Most all my tools are, or have been my favorite brand....freebie!! I have snap-on, S-K, Proto, Craftsman, Mac and a variety of others! Any of them will do the job just fine, but my favorite are the tools specially altered for their intended purpose! I'm not a tool snob, ill use anything that works!! Geof

You could put my tools back when your done with them:violent1:

lol, just kidding.

I have a five year old pair, of Red Wing boots, They are currently OSHA orange ( Shot a circle track Camaro/ owner's paint..)Same department, need some soles / soul myself.)I will not them go....

You get what you pay for !
I do it for a living and name brand tools day in and day out is all what gets the job done.
75 percent of my tool box is Snap On,some of the tools over 30 years old.
Snap On has warranty anything I have thrown their way get replaced or credited.
(Maybe because I have spent thousands on tools)
I got some Mac,Matco,Cornwell,K-D,Proto,Stalwillie,SK and Craftsman in the mix as well and all good tools as well.
New additions to my tools in last five years has been EZ Red and GearWrench.
Red Wings rule !!! Only boots I have every worn over 6 months that do not hurt my feet.Current pair are 2 years old and have just been resoled.

I had a 1/2" snap-on rachet that was broken and had a hell of a time getting the snap-on guy to fix it. They asked me where I got if from and if I had other snap-on tools etc. I actually got it from my dad who was a professional mechanic for 38 years. Anyhow, after a few weeks of calling a local rep they finally agreed I could bring it to their truck for repair. They didn't replace it, just added a new mechanism with unmatched screws. Pretty pathetic! I'll never buy snap-on... ever!

I had a 1/2" snap-on rachet that was broken and had a hell of a time getting the snap-on guy to fix it. They asked me where I got if from and if I had other snap-on tools etc. I actually got it from my dad who was a professional mechanic for 38 years. Anyhow, after a few weeks of calling a local rep they finally agreed I could bring it to their truck for repair. They didn't replace it, just added a new mechanism with unmatched screws. Pretty pathetic! I'll never buy snap-on... ever!

I'm glad I'm not alone. It shouldn't matter where we got it, how many other SO tools we have etc. Sears has never once asked me those things when I take something in, they just give me a new one, as it should be.

Either they stand behind them or they don't.

I still buy them, because they really are a quality toll, but if that ever happens to me again, I'm gonna raise a huge stink, I'll go right straight to Snap On.

Well, I just had a chat with someone from Snap On, and lo and behold, their tools ARE NOT all guaranteed, conditionally or unconditionally.

I also asked if I could have one of the jobbers stop at my home to sell me tools, answer: NO.

It also appears that if you need something repaired or replaced, you have to produce a receipt from when and where you purchased it. If you buy a tool from a yard sale for instance, you're screwed (unless you already deal with a jobber, and he'll take care of it).

And believe it or not, the guy I was talking to asked me the same thing, "where did you buy it" and "do you own other Snap On tools".

Nuts I tell ya.

I've got the snap on tools my Dad got me for my 18th. B-Day 22 years ago, love them, never ask to borrow one the answer is no. Also switched to the red wing boots yep their 300$ and worth every nickel(we don't have pennies anymore) 12-14 hrs a day in a boot you notice the difference.

I had my Snap-on guy broken in, now he changed jobs.... :banghead:

The guy he referred me to is very "cold"..... :finga:

Now I'm working on breaking in a Mac guy.... :D

Well, I just had a chat with someone from Snap On, and lo and behold, their tools ARE NOT all guaranteed, conditionally or unconditionally.

I also asked if I could have one of the jobbers stop at my home to sell me tools, answer: NO.

It also appears that if you need something repaired or replaced, you have to produce a receipt from when and where you purchased it. If you buy a tool from a yard sale for instance, you're screwed (unless you already deal with a jobber, and he'll take care of it).

And believe it or not, the guy I was talking to asked me the same thing, "where did you buy it" and "do you own other Snap On tools".

Nuts I tell ya.

Tough call for us tool guys. Yes, not everything is "Lifetime Warranty" and under all conditions. It would be better if they were sold as "Warrantied against defects of material and workmanship". The quality of the tool and the door to door service justifies the price for most techs. I don't want to loose a customer over a warranty screwdriver but I might turn you down if you used it as a pry bar, chisel, or a hitch pin for your tractor. The disclaimer in the warranty language is usually "abuse or misuse" and yes I have been handed some pretty nasty tools and the customer expected warranty. I had a shop manager expect a dead blow hammer to be warrantied after it made a trip through a rock crusher. And another touchy area is wear out. If you make your living with your tools and you wear out a socket or pliers for example, from years of use, you should buy a new tool. Just the same as a set of tires or a truck that you make a living with or even a pair of Red Wings. Pay good money for a quality product and it will give you years of service. When it is worn out you need to replace it with a product of your choice.

I have a snap-on 1/2'' ratchet that is older than I am(let's say pushin 60 ish).The finish chrome is all gone and is bare metal. For fun I asked the dealer for a replacement,,, Got turned down. That's ok, even if he would say yes I would just keep it as it was my Dad's.
After 50 years of wrenchin' I would say I have just about every manufacturer in my box.

Tough call for us tool guys. Yes, not everything is "Lifetime Warranty" and under all conditions. It would be better if they were sold as "Warrantied against defects of material and workmanship". The quality of the tool and the door to door service justifies the price for most techs. I don't want to loose a customer over a warranty screwdriver but I might turn you down if you used it as a pry bar, chisel, or a hitch pin for your tractor. The disclaimer in the warranty language is usually "abuse or misuse" and yes I have been handed some pretty nasty tools and the customer expected warranty. I had a shop manager expect a dead blow hammer to be warrantied after it made a trip through a rock crusher. And another touchy area is wear out. If you make your living with your tools and you wear out a socket or pliers for example, from years of use, you should buy a new tool. Just the same as a set of tires or a truck that you make a living with or even a pair of Red Wings. Pay good money for a quality product and it will give you years of service. When it is worn out you need to replace it with a product of your choice.

Yeah, I guess it's tough to warranty everything, BUT, like I told the Snap On rep Craftsman just takes care of ya, no questions asked.

I have a variety of tools, mostly Craftsman and Snap On, I like the quality of Snap On better, but Craftsman will hands down take better care of you. I use the Craftsman tools for a travel tool, if I lose one it's cheaper to replace.

The thing that pissed me off about the ratchet ordeal, is I wanted to buy a new gear set for the ratchet from the Snap On dude, and he wouldn't sell me one, after asking him if it was warrantied.. WTF is up with that? He wanted to know where I bought it, how many other of their tools I own, what has that got to do with anything, I wasn't askin for a freebie at that point.

I probably have 5000 dollars worth of Snap On tools, and I can't purchase a gear set for a broken ratchet???

Something weird going on there. Is it a older rarchet? May be kits are no longer available and he would have to replace the ratchet with a different model. Probably a $130+ tool that he has to buy and might not get reimbursed for. Our local Sears store is terrible with warranty on their tools. You better not walk in with a work uniform on because the warranty doesn't apply for professional use.

If you are a lifetime Snap On guy with a $15,000 rolling box, it will get replaced. If you bought a few screwdriver sets and a 9/16 deepwell, probably not. Kinda like redlining is to the insurance industry. The SO tools I have I love. My brake spring tool is 35 years old and the black composite handle broke apart this year. Looks like it has just deteriorated. Dont even know where to look to get it replaced.

I asked a Snapon driver if he had an "inch lb" torque wrench, he was dumb struck. said he never heard of one.

After our Snap-On dealer died. The new guy,in his late 20's came in with his arms full of promo items. I asked "Do you know what these tools are even used for ?" He said "No sir,all I do is sell um." He did confess that he is learning alot everyday. We told him that it is good to see someone young that is willing to work out in the field.

TDI makes their torque wrenches and sells them for 1/4 of the price! Also New Holland (farm equipment) sells the same hand tools for way less.

-
Back