A v6 Curiosity

-
I vote 3.9 v6 for an easy swap. Its based on the LA motor so you can bolt up any small block trans (including a 4 speed). I would probably use the entire drivetrain package and electronics, fuel system out of a 92-95 dodge dakota. They are simple and should be easy to trim the harness down since there was no security etc. The trans will fit (or at least in a b-body) since i have a nv3500 out of a dakota in my car now. You will have to make your own mounts for everything to use that trans but it was pretty easy.

If I do another swap in the future it will be a 3.9 v6 with a turbo charger. These things were used in circle track racing...there are some parts out there available and if you don't want to use the fuel injection, they were available in carb form in the late 80's.

Now if you go late late model engine, the pentastar 3.6 is a hot rod on its own. My 2013 Avenger pushes me back in the seat and well I showed a pontiac G8 my tail lights the other morning...

For a pentastar swap you would need a complete wrecked charger or challenger with the 3.6 and soon you can look for a ram too. (see what trans the ram is using, i bet there is a manual rear drive option) But if you use that engine you will want to use the ENTIRE electrial system including the security and just use the key since there is no after market support yet.

The 3.5 seems like a lackluster idea. for the trouble you get very little over the 3.9 and the 3.9 has a lot more options for hotrodding since it was available for so many years in the dakota. (people make cams, rocker, lifters, etc etc. and you can port the heads, increase compression...make the thing well over the 3.5 power output with way more torque.

Doesn't the 3.5 have forged crank, rods and pistons factory??? Also aluminum block, so thats a plus for building it. Call InertiaMotorSports, they have some hot parts for the 3.5.

A lot of the issue people seem to be citing is making it work with forward engine, RWD cars, right?

Does that mean this would be easier to make work in a rear-engine RWD car? (referring to the srt4 engine)

Pardon me if that's a painfully stupid question. Like I said. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Definitely NOT a stupid question! A friend and I actually considered this back in the day, but with a 2.2 turbo. It would be an awesome handling car, for sure, but requires a lot of fabrication. I would not recommend it if you don't have a lot of mechanical and fabrication experience. For that matter, though, you could install any FWD powertrain (V6, etc.) between the rear wheels and have a mid-engined slot car.

Sure but what's the torque curve look like? Unless you have a stall converter in the 3000-RPM range (which also sucks more HP) and/or steep gears it will feel a LOT slower than a small block with 240 HP. Maybe I'm wrong but most turbo 4-bangers don't make much torque until they get spun up a bit.

It all depends on the size of the turbo, but consider this: a stock SRT4 Neon weighs about 3,000 lbs. and is not a slouch. A /6 A-body weighs a little less than that, but with a 4 cylinder, aluminum head, etc. it would weigh a lot less. You wouldn't need any more torque than what the 2.4L already makes in stock form as long as you keep the gearing similar to the stock SRT4 trans. I do agree, however, that it would be a dog with an auto.

Attachments

• dart64gt2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 214
no
I know that, technically, this forum is about putting new hemi engines into old mopar a-bodies. But new Hemi engines are expensive. My current duster has a 225 /6 in it. And currently, I'm at a cross-roads. I'm about to pull that engine out, and at that point, there's plenty of options on what I can do.

I've thought about just cleaning it up and putting it back in after I've painted the engine bay.

I've thought about trying to tune the /6 six up a bit.

I've thought about putting a small block v8 in it.

I've thought about fitting one of the smaller big block v8s in it ( a 383 or something).

I was discussing all of these options with my father. All of them will be work and expense in their own way. (some more than others). But then, he said something I hadn't thought of.

The new Chrysler V6 engines aren't exactly slouches. Especially the new pentastar. But even just the 3.5 would be a vast improvement over my current. I've checked, and I can get a vehicle with body damage and a perfectly running engine for around one grand.

But is this really as easy as my Dad's making it out to be? Will there be things I need (other than obvious things, like engine mounts and such), that I can't get from the salvage vehicle? Is it worth it? All questions I thought I would pose to this particular forum because, well... While this board is technically about putting Hemis in Dusters, it is, in essence, about putting newer engines in older cars.

And frankly, I'm new to most things mechanical. So. I wanted to know, beforehand, what I was getting into, and whether or not this was even a viable alternative.

I did a search, and can't really find anything.

So. Oh wise frequenters of the Hemi Swaps section, mind helping a young gun out with the theory on this one? I could really use your experience ^^
one has mention the bullit proof 3.8 4 speed auto that jeep used.

no
I know that, technically, this forum is about putting new hemi engines into old mopar a-bodies. But new Hemi engines are expensive. My current duster has a 225 /6 in it. And currently, I'm at a cross-roads. I'm about to pull that engine out, and at that point, there's plenty of options on what I can do.

I've thought about just cleaning it up and putting it back in after I've painted the engine bay.

I've thought about trying to tune the /6 six up a bit.

I've thought about putting a small block v8 in it.

I've thought about fitting one of the smaller big block v8s in it ( a 383 or something).

I was discussing all of these options with my father. All of them will be work and expense in their own way. (some more than others). But then, he said something I hadn't thought of.

The new Chrysler V6 engines aren't exactly slouches. Especially the new pentastar. But even just the 3.5 would be a vast improvement over my current. I've checked, and I can get a vehicle with body damage and a perfectly running engine for around one grand.

But is this really as easy as my Dad's making it out to be? Will there be things I need (other than obvious things, like engine mounts and such), that I can't get from the salvage vehicle? Is it worth it? All questions I thought I would pose to this particular forum because, well... While this board is technically about putting Hemis in Dusters, it is, in essence, about putting newer engines in older cars.

And frankly, I'm new to most things mechanical. So. I wanted to know, beforehand, what I was getting into, and whether or not this was even a viable alternative.

I did a search, and can't really find anything.

So. Oh wise frequenters of the Hemi Swaps section, mind helping a young gun out with the theory on this one? I could really use your experience ^^
one has mention the bullit proof 3.8 4 speed auto that jeep used.

I'd still like to see that 3.8 drivetrain in a A body.

ther certainly a bunch of b.s. in the answers above , some unbeleieveable !!

v 6 pentastar , 295/300 h.p. , great gas mileage .
the o.p. did say he could get or had the whole car w/ one in it !

-
Back